The Queen of the South thread

44 minutes ago, Brother Grimm said:

Are there any clubs interested in Gibson?

If our manager doesn't start showing an interest in Gibson then he won't be here much longer. 

Spoiler

Happy to make the game today to support Stephen Dobbie, the greatest player I’ve ever seen (or indeed likely to see) play for the club. The game itself was predictably a bit of a non-event - the waistlines or a few of the Queens team had increased exponentially, seemingly in inverse proportion to the recession of their hairlines. Jacobs and Stirling still looked quite useful, and Rankin was a surprising stand out for the Scotland ‘Legends’, though a few of the players (Graeme Smith, Rankin himself) barely got near the full team, let alone established themselves as ‘legends.’ Still, good support for Dobbie from ex pros, including former team mates, and the football wasn’t really the important bit - it was great to see Dobbie given the appreciation and send off from Palmerston that he deserves. An absolute class act, both on and off the field. We’ll probably never see his like again.

That PA announcer though. Not sure what first name McFadden was given as the team names were read out at the start, but it clearly wasn’t James. ‘Goal from Queens ‘no. 9’ Stephen Dobbie’; ‘subs 15 and 4 replacing 10 and 5’; ‘Goal for Scotland Legends from No. 15’. He might just about make it as a bingo caller, but as a stadium announcer at a football match (a sport he clearly knows nothing about, he’s clearly unable to count either), he’s way out of his depth. How hard would it have been for someone to have given him a team sheet? Why wasn’t it the first thing he asked for when he reported for duty? Utterly inept.

IMG_5299.jpeg

Edited by Frankie S

Stephen dobbie. What a player to have witnessed playing at Palmerston park! I can say for definite that in my life time I will see nobody better in terms of skill level and goal scoring ability to play in a queens jersey. My first memory was his debut against Dundee in the cup on a freezing cold night at home with a superb goal which made me go home to my dad and tell him about this new player who was a stand out. As usual the reply to anything I had positive to say about queens was met with a negative view of “He can’t be that good if he’s signed for queen of the south.” “Dead end club.” Well you were wrong dad.

He did become a stand out. Not just in my era but every queen of the south history’s era. 

Thank you for everything Stephen 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

If our manager doesn't start showing an interest in Gibson then he won't be here much longer. 

Got told today actually that he was considering a transfer request for this month up until the last few weeks as hes been starting more games. He wants to stay here for next season if he’s starting regularly.

3 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Got told today actually that he was considering a transfer request for this month up until the last few weeks as hes been starting more games. He wants to stay here for next season if he’s starting regularly.

Correct. Getting dropped for the Annan game didn't go down too well. 

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

Correct. Getting dropped for the Annan game didn't go down too well. 

Aye get the impression he’s going to try and outlast Bartley if he’s still here next season, heard a few things and don’t think they see eye to eye at all.

23 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

How could he start more when he was always "injured" the night before?

I've heard a similar rumour about a Gibson / Bartley "difference of opinion" too which bears a lot of similarity to one doing the rounds at the end of last season when Bartley wasn't playing Wilson because, according to Bartley, Wilson wasn't fit enough and Wilson believed he was and should be playing.

I could all just be talk, of course, but if true and Bartley is leaving out important players because of behind the scenes issues it reeks of a manager being totally out of his depth desperately trying to stamp his authority on his players, and to use his favourite word, behaving extremely "unprofessionally".

I would emphasise again though that the above could all be the result of Chinese Whispers.

Edited by Slipmat
bears not bares

2 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

I've heard a similar rumour about a Gibson / Bartley "difference of opinion" too which bares a lot of similarity to one doing the rounds at the end of last season when Bartley wasn't playing Wilson because, according to Bartley, Wilson wasn't fit enough and Wilson believed he was and should be playing.

I could all just be talk, of course, but if true and Bartley is leaving out important players because of behind the scenes issues it reeks of a manager being totally out of his depth desperately trying to stamp his authority on his players, and to use his favourite word, behaving extremely "unprofessionally".

I would emphasise again though that the above could all be the result of Chinese Whispers.

You're right - it might lack truth.

However, it wouldn't be a massive shock to learn it was accurate either.  I sometimes wonder if Bartley's confident language and demeanour masks a towering insecurity that sees him trying to impose himself unwisely.

I don't know - I'm quite possibly havering.

4 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

I've heard a similar rumour about a Gibson / Bartley "difference of opinion" too which bares a lot of similarity to one doing the rounds at the end of last season when Bartley wasn't playing Wilson because, according to Bartley, Wilson wasn't fit enough and Wilson believed he was and should be playing.

As you say there could be some truth in this, maybe not.

Either way good management is about getting your better players on the pitch. Players want to play. Good players make the team better. Better team makes it easier to attract other good players and keep your better ones.

9 hours ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Won’t see his likes again pull on a Queens shirt, a special special player 💙

IMG_4874.jpeg

Sir Stephen,  thanks for the memories. 

That's some stooky on Reilly's hand for a broken finger!

Gone are the days of just tapeing it up and playing on. Could be a while before we see him back.