The Queen of the South thread

16 minutes ago, MallanandFlanagan said:

Thought we played really well tonight and I also really enjoyed it… more so than anything I watched last season. Thanks Peter Murphy!

Steady! There's been too much positivity around the place pre-season. We can't allow that to continue into the season! 

12 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Well you asked for it We are desperate for pace up front and  out wide plus we need another centre back .

Against Dumbarton we showed up in flashes when we moved the ball quickly but we have to do that a lot more .

We looked better when McKechnie went up front with his pace but that is what we need from another  forward .

We were lucky at 1 nil it looked a certain pen to Dumbarton only person who thought not was the ref .

We are still a work in progess it is a new team but all about these last few signing .

tenor.gif

A home win and a clean sheet - two things we've grown unaccustomed to over the last 2 or 3 years, so a pleasing night for me.  Are you never happy?!

I thought we looked pretty comfortable throughout if a little ponderous at times.  The first goal was excellent.  Still an experimental feel to the team so a good result all things considered.

I thought we wouldn't have a big enough budget to make any more signings :whistle

4 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

tenor.gif

A home win and a clean sheet - two things we've grown unaccustomed to over the last 2 or 3 years, so a pleasing night for me.  Are you never happy?!

I thought we looked pretty comfortable throughout if a little ponderous at times.  The first goal was excellent.  Still an experimental feel to the team so a good result all things considered.

I thought we wouldn't have a big enough budget to make any more signings :whistle

Only see his nonsense when it's quoted. Forgot about the penalty claim. About as blatant a dive as you'll see. Funnily enough it was about the only decision he didn't give Dumbarton all night. 

6 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Matty Douglas a stand out at the back for me, on the end of everything that came into the box 

Really liking him but my new favourite is looking like Reece Lyon. Forgot what it's like to have a CM who enjoys having the ball. Don't think he's been tackled yet either. 

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

my new favourite is looking like Reece Lyon. Forgot what it's like to have a CM who enjoys having the ball. Don't think he's been tackled yet either. 

Agree with this, he looks like an excellent signing and ran the show tonight.

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Really liking him but my new favourite is looking like Reece Lyon. Forgot what it's like to have a CM who enjoys having the ball. Don't think he's been tackled yet either. 

Been a standout both games, still surprised we got him and he didn’t end up somewhere in the Championship.

35 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

Agree with this, he looks like an excellent signing and ran the show tonight.

34 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Been a standout both games, still surprised we got him and he didn’t end up somewhere in the Championship.

Decided to sponsor his away top such is my like for him already :lol:

(I apologise in advance for his inevitable injury).

Lyon looks like an excellent acquisition, the type of player we sorely missed last season in midfield. My minds still not made up on Cochrane despite how long he’s been at Queens now. Thought nothing really came off for him last night despite lots of endeavour and a couple neat passes. I really want to see him performing consistently at the level he’s capable of but all too often he’s not quite there. Fingers crossed the new additions across the midfield will allow him to thrive. And I thought Doherty did reasonably well on the right until he was taken off. 

As someone noted earlier, there’s still an experimental feel to the team but there’s grounds for positivity going forward. 

It was quite enjoyable overall.

We weren't entirely convincing throughout, but played well in the second half.  We had some neat little passing movements in midfield that created space, and there were some decent  performances in all areas of the team.

It genuinely is very hard to read much into it at this stage, but it felt reasonably encouraging.

I agree with what most have said above. I felt the penalty shout was both a foul and a dive so should have been given, possibly accompanied by a wee finger wag at the diver. I agree that Cochrane looked not quite there but is worth persevering with. I felt the same about Hewitt (on Saturday too) and Doherty. Lyon, Dickinson and Lussint were unfussily solid. Both goals were well taken, and McKechnie generally caused Dumbarton problems. Overall, it was a comfortable-ish win and a pretty enjoyable game. 

No-one has mentioned has the keeper (whose name escapes me offhand), he didn't have much to do but looked decent. Aside from his long kicking, which was as atrocious as most keepers. I don't know why they bother. Throw the ball to someone who can actually pass it!

11 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

No-one has mentioned has the keeper (whose name escapes me offhand), he didn't have much to do but looked decent. Aside from his long kicking, which was as atrocious as most keepers. I don't know why they bother. Throw the ball to someone who can actually pass it!

Jay Hogarth, difficult to judge on tonight's show, as you say, he wasn't sorely tested. 

55 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Jay Hogarth, difficult to judge on tonight's show, as you say, he wasn't sorely tested. 

He had a busy(ish) 10-15 minutes in the first half. Not the most physically imposing keeper but keen enough to come off his line, looked relatively assured in dealing with things and made a decent save low to his right from a free kick. Hope Murphy doesn’t chop and change too much between Stewart and Hogarth and one of them (for me, preferably Hogarth) gets a run of several games at least to then allow a fair judgement to be made.

56 minutes ago, rubber_duck said:

He had a busy(ish) 10-15 minutes in the first half. Not the most physically imposing keeper but keen enough to come off his line, looked relatively assured in dealing with things and made a decent save low to his right from a free kick. Hope Murphy doesn’t chop and change too much between Stewart and Hogarth and one of them (for me, preferably Hogarth) gets a run of several games at least to then allow a fair judgement to be made.

I’d imagine he will during the cup and decide over the 4 games who will be number one. Was impressed with Hogarth last night

50 minutes ago, rubber_duck said:

Difficult to make a fair judgement in Stewarts case as he's been written off by fans already. Despite his performances with previous Clubs I don't think he's done too badly in the games so far. He got a bit of stick for a couple of Aberdeen's goals, not saying he was completely blameless but I thought criticism was a bit harsh. Having said that if I watch the goals again I might reconsider my view.

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I felt the penalty shout was both a foul and a dive so should have been given, possibly accompanied by a wee finger wag at the diver. 

I haven't seen the incident but I'm having a hard time imagining this. If he was fouled how is it a dive? And when have you ever seen a ref give a penalty then tell off the guy who won it for diving?

57 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I haven't seen the incident but I'm having a hard time imagining this. If he was fouled how is it a dive? And when have you ever seen a ref give a penalty then tell off the guy who won it for diving?

Never! Yes, I know that didn't make much sense, but what I meant was that it looked to me that there was contact, probably enough to make your guy lose his balance; but he did rather over-emphasise the effect of the tackle, to put it mildly. I've both seen softer penalties given and seen similarly creative divers booked.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

when have you ever seen a ref give a penalty then tell off the guy who won it for diving?

Don't think I ever have in football, but it happens in ice hockey and it's a brilliant rule. A guy can get a 2 minute penalty for tripping or whatever he's done, but the other guy also gets punished for "embellishment" if he's done a Harry Kane and thrown himself up in the air screaming. It'd be the equivalent of giving a yellow card to each player for what @Bad Wolf is describing (I haven't seen this particular incident, but know what he means)