The Queen of the South thread

3 minutes ago, Artemis said:

✔️

It's not my favourite tournament anyway but that's a pretty shite draw considering we had them in the LC. Watch us get them in the SC now as well :lol:

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's not my favourite tournament anyway but that's a pretty shite draw considering we had them in the LC. Watch us get them in the SC now as well :lol:

At least we don't have them in the league. Seem to recall (?) we played Dundee 7 times one season.

Think it's winnable depending on what team each side fields. Airdrie have had a couple of poor results recently.

7 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

You lot are in for Bryden on loan from us with Alloa, Stenny and Kelty. Reckon being full time and having Murphy in charge might land you him. 

Opinion? I see he’s a striker, always thought he was a winger/no.10 type 

1 minute ago, qos1990 said:

Has a lot of potential, but has been needing a loan for a few years now. Was flung in to the first team squad early on to appease fans as he’s a young fan from our academy and starts a game, benched for a few, sun appearances for a few over the last few years. Brown played him out of position to fill gaps end of last season on the wing, but would say he is a penalty box striker. Good finisher and had a good pre season, but nowhere near getting ahead of Dowds/Oakley. Big test to drop down and hopefully do well in League 1. Could be a good addition if he gets the service and has the right attitude to take advantage of a loan move. Not blessed with great pace, but will chase a lot down and will put himself about if that’s what he is instructed to do. 

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

You lot are in for Bryden on loan from us with Alloa, Stenny and Kelty. Reckon being full time and having Murphy in charge might land you him. 

Why might Murphy in charge land him?

1 minute ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Why might Murphy in charge land him?

Well respected at Ayr from his time here and seemed to do well at Annan getting the best out of players prior to landing the job at Palmerston. 

1 hour ago, qos1990 said:

Stats last season 27 games and 1 goal. Not exactly a prolific penalty box striker on those numbers 🤷🏻‍♂️ Maybe I’m missing something? 

5 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Stats last season 27 games and 1 goal. Not exactly a prolific penalty box striker on those numbers 🤷🏻‍♂️ Maybe I’m missing something? 

Was played out wide for about 75% of the season to fill gaps and mostly sub appearances. He’s still very raw, will be a make or break season for him wherever he ends up. 

3 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Macintosh and Craik don’t fall into the ‘prolific’ category. We’re not going to get a 20 goal a season striker, let’s be honest here. I very much trust the work Murphy is doing and Bryden is probably the kind of loan we should expect. 

54 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Macintosh and Craik don’t fall into the ‘prolific’ category. We’re not going to get a 20 goal a season striker, let’s be honest here. I very much trust the work Murphy is doing and Bryden is probably the kind of loan we should expect. 

Least he’s got some sort of games behind and has had some sort of impact. Serious disillusion that were bringing in a proven 20 goal a season striker at this stage. He has a bit of presence about him also, which I thinks important in the 4231 currently being used. 

1 hour ago, ALOREBURNE said:

That’s my fear, we’ve lost a 10-15 goal striker from last year in Gav and not replaced him. This lack of firepower potential issue. Let’s see, maybe I’m being over concerned. 

Thing is, there's not many guaranteed 20 goals/season stikers out there in the first place and if there were they wouldn't still be looking for clubs in late August, nor would their agents be emailing places like Palmerston (given our current lowly status) to seek employment for their clients.

The lad Bryden sounds like the sort of loan that might fit our needs given what might be left of Murphy's war chest and the feedback from @callum-ayr. Could be a win/win for the club and the player.

Would be a nightmare for me trying to get the spelling of Bryden and Brydon right every time mind!

Edited by Otis Blue

21 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

That’s my fear, we’ve lost a 10-15 goal striker from last year in Gav and not replaced him. This lack of firepower potential issue. Let’s see, maybe I’m being over concerned. 

I'm not sure Gav falls into the prolific category either tbh. He bagged 9 goals in the league for us last season (inc. 2 penalties). Gav was always about his link-up play and pace rather than his goalscoring. 

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm not sure Gav falls into the prolific category either tbh. He bagged 9 goals in the league for us last season (inc. 2 penalties). Gav was always about his link-up play and pace rather than his goalscoring. 

He was also starting to pick up wee niggly injuries more often