The Queen of the South thread

56 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

He was also starting to pick up wee niggly injuries more often 

Agreed. I accept we won’t get a 20 goal striker but with Gav and Paton we had 10ish goal options in last couple of seasons. At the moment I’m worried we don’t even have that which puts a lot of pressure on players in other parts of the team to weigh in with goals. I await with interest what Mr Murphy pulls out of the bag. 

53 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Agreed. I accept we won’t get a 20 goal striker but with Gav and Paton we had 10ish goal options in last couple of seasons. At the moment I’m worried we don’t even have that which puts a lot of pressure on players in other parts of the team to weigh in with goals. I await with interest what Mr Murphy pulls out of the bag. 

McIntosh will get 10/12 goals at this level. If we can get another like a Bryden I’ll be content. We’ve goals in this team, maybe spread out more but there’s goals and chances being made. Lyon benji Dickenson will get a few 

1 hour ago, HighlandQueen said:

Considering that we're only 7 games into the season, and most if not all of our new forwards have been out injured at some point, I think it's a wee bit early to suggest that we don't have anyone who is capable of getting into double figures.  McIntosh has probably got as good as if not a better goals to games ratio over his career as Reilly.  Craik is a complete unknown quantity, and Walker and Kennedy have mainly played as wingers rather than strikers in their careers so have naturally poorer scoring records (remember Paton only scored 2 league goals in 30 odd games on the wing in his first season with us).  While I agree we need another central striker, I think it's entirely possible that Brydon, Douglas and Dickenson could each be worth 5 or so goals given their threat and aerial ability at set pieces so the goals will come from somewhere.

If we are to have a serious go for the title, or play-offs at the very least, then we really need to have goals coming from wide men and midfield, we can't be reliant on strikers bagging a sufficient number to win games. Of course defenders may chip in with a few from set pieces but there needs to be a belief by other players that they have the freedom and ability to get into scoring positions.

Just now, Fae_the_'briggs said:

If we are to have a serious go for the title, or play-offs at the very least, then we really need to have goals coming from wide men and midfield, we can't be reliant on strikers bagging a sufficient number to win games. Of course defenders may chip in with a few from set pieces but there needs to be a belief by other players that they have the freedom and ability to get into scoring positions.

This.

In Dobbie's record breaking season I think Todd was the only other player who scored more than 2 goals, result being we ended up in the relegation play off.

21 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Considering that we're only 7 games into the season, and most if not all of our new forwards have been out injured at some point, I think it's a wee bit early to suggest that we don't have anyone who is capable of getting into double figures.  McIntosh has probably got as good as if not a better goals to games ratio over his career as Reilly.  Craik is a complete unknown quantity, and Walker and Kennedy have mainly played as wingers rather than strikers in their careers so have naturally poorer scoring records (remember Paton only scored 2 league goals in 30 odd games on the wing in his first season with us).  While I agree we need another central striker, I think it's entirely possible that Brydon, Douglas and Dickenson could each be worth 5 or so goals given their threat and aerial ability at set pieces so the goals will come from somewhere.

🤞it works out like that. If Lyon is fit I can see more goals coming from midfield. At the moment I agree McIntosh looks on paper like our only 10-12 goal striker hence I think we all feel we need another 10 plus option. 

Not disagreeing, but just to add an obvious point - you don’t need to score as many goals in a season to do well if you’re not conceding as many.
After 3 games last season, Queens had 6 points. In order to get 9 points, they needed to score a minimum of 9 goals.
With 7 points after 3 games this season, in order to get 9 points Queens needed to score a minimum of 4 goals.
Queens have 2 clean sheets in the league from 3 games. Last season, it took 22 games to get 2 clean sheets.
Of course, three games is far too soon to be able to assume the rest of the season go the same way. However, the importance of being difficult to score against cannot be over emphasised.

11 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Daily Record are saying we are trying to get Lewis O’Donnell from Dundee United in on a loan deal

He's only five foot 10. No info on his pace 

QOTS want Lewis O'Donnell on loan

Queen of the South want to sign Dundee United youngster Lewis O'Donnell on loan.

The Doonhamers are trying to agree a deal with the Tannadice side.

The Dumfries outfit were impressed with O'Donnell in his spell at Kelty Hearts last season.

Boss Peter Murphy knows he could be key in their push for League One success with O'Donnell recenlty signing a new United deal in the summer.

He impressed manager Jim Goodwin in pre-season and they want him to go out and get more first-team exposure.

8 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

He's only five foot 10. No info on his pace 

QOTS want Lewis O'Donnell on loan

Queen of the South want to sign Dundee United youngster Lewis O'Donnell on loan.

The Doonhamers are trying to agree a deal with the Tannadice side.

The Dumfries outfit were impressed with O'Donnell in his spell at Kelty Hearts last season.

Boss Peter Murphy knows he could be key in their push for League One success with O'Donnell recenlty signing a new United deal in the summer.

He impressed manager Jim Goodwin in pre-season and they want him to go out and get more first-team exposure.

Quoted as a deep lying midfield player. If it was Strachan as trial suits he is quoted as same. Mr Murphy obviously wants more defensive midfield cover. Looks like a season of being tough and hard to beat. Would rather it was another forward……

Just now, HighlandQueen said:

Quoted as a deep lying midfield player. If it was Strachan as trial suits he is quoted as same. Mr Murphy obviously wants more defensive midfield cover. Looks like a season of being tough and hard to beat. Would rather it was another forward……

Spell check. Meant Trialist. Before the spelling police correct me…

1 hour ago, HighlandQueen said:

Spell check. Meant Trialist. Before the spelling police correct me…

Of course you could have just edited the correction into your post. You should be more concerned about the multi-quote police anyway.

32 minutes ago, Carmel Wafer said:

It's a trek if he's not moving down

We have a boy on loan from Middlesbrough. No idea if we still do but I'm sure we used to have a property where lads could stay while at us. 

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

We have a boy on loan from Middlesbrough. No idea if we still do but I'm sure we used to have a property where lads could stay while at us. 

Pretty sure we sold or renting out the property we had in Moffat Road but maybe have somewhere in Hamilton closer to the training ground, just guesswork of course. Does this Dundee Utd boy live in the Dundee area anyway?

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Of course you could have just edited the correction into your post. You should be more concerned about the multi-quote police anyway.

They are a bad lot the multi-quote police. No Spanish Inquisition though. I will give them that.