The Queen of the South thread

21 hours ago, Artemis said:

Cheers. Wasn’t 100% sure about that one (or some others tbh but they were right enough). 
Out of interest, what was the last league game Queens won live on tv? Edit - normal league game as opposed to play-off).

Our last live tv LEAGUE win was against Rangers. 3-0 on 9th April 2015 at Palmerston (that one was on BT Sport). Our previous league win was earlier the same season against Rangers too, 2-0, also on BT Sport on 12/12/14.

Our last league win on a BBC station was earlier the same season, 22/11/14 when we beat Raith Rovers 2-0 at Palmerston on BBC Alba.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Our last live tv LEAGUE win was against Rangers. 3-0 on 9th April 2015 at Palmerston (that one was on BT Sport). Our previous league win was earlier the same season against Rangers too, 2-0, also on BT Sport on 12/12/14.

Our last league win on a BBC station was earlier the same season, 22/11/14 when we beat Raith Rovers 2-0 at Palmerston on BBC Alba.

So is that 16 consecutive games without a win - 12 defeats, 4 draws?
Did Queens win 6 out of their first 7 live tv league games, then none of the last 16 - something like that anyway?
For the 12 outright wins out of 48 you mentioned, I’ve guessed
6 out of 23 league
1 out of 4 play-off
2 out of 6 Scottish Cup 
3 out of 11 Challenge Cup
0 wins from 1 UEFA Cup
0 wins from 3 League Cup

1 hour ago, Artemis said:

So is that 16 consecutive games without a win - 12 defeats, 4 draws?
Did Queens win 6 out of their first 7 live tv league games, then none of the last 16 - something like that anyway?
For the 12 outright wins out of 48 you mentioned, I’ve guessed
6 out of 23 league
1 out of 4 play-off
2 out of 6 Scottish Cup 
3 out of 11 Challenge Cup
0 wins from 1 UEFA Cup
0 wins from 3 League Cup

League games I assume you mean? We've lost our last eight successive televised games of any sort since that win at Cove. It is indeed 16 consecutive league games on tv without a win. Yes, we won 6 of our first 7 live league matches (and drew the other).

On tv:
League - 6 wins, 5 draws, 12 losses.
Playoffs - 1 win, 2 draws, 1 loss
Scottish Cup - 2 wins, 4 losses
Challenge Cup in various sponsor guises - 5 wins, 5 losses (though two of the wins and 1 of the losses were on penalties, I assume you've counted them as draws?)
UEFA Cup - 1 loss
League Cup in various sponsor guises - 4 losses

You've got one of the League Cup losses as a Challenge Cup one presumably? Three were losses to Rangers, the other was to Aberdeen last month.

42 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

League games I assume you mean?* We've lost our last eight successive televised games of any sort since that win at Cove. It is indeed 16 consecutive league games on tv without a win. Yes, we won 6 of our first 7 live league matches (and drew the other).

On tv:
League - 6 wins, 5 draws, 12 losses.
Playoffs - 1 win, 2 draws, 1 loss
Scottish Cup - 2 wins, 4 losses
Challenge Cup in various sponsor guises - 5 wins, 5 losses (though two of the wins and 1 of the losses were on penalties, I assume you've counted them as draws?)**
UEFA Cup - 1 loss
League Cup in various sponsor guises - 4 losses

You've got one of the League Cup losses as a Challenge Cup one presumably?***
Three were losses to Rangers, the other was to Aberdeen last month.

*Yes, just league games
**Yes, counted as draws as I was trying to get back to the 12 wins outright you'd mentioned
***Yes, couldn’t remember if one of the losses to Rangers was in the CC or League Cup

12 losses and 4 draws from the last 16 league games on tv. Can you tell Alba not to bother with Queens again this season? :lol:

Just now, Slipmat said:

The reserves were on the wrong end of a hiding this afternoon.  No idea if any of the first team fringe players were involved or not.

Opposition and score please?

Just now, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Opposition and score please?

Killie Reserves* away in the league, lost 6-0.

* more like an under 18 team.

6 hours ago, Slipmat said:

The reserves were on the wrong end of a hiding this afternoon.  No idea if any of the first team fringe players were involved or not.

6 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Killie Reserves* away in the league, lost 6-0.

* more like an under 18 team.

Corrie Ndaba played for Killie most notably. It was a young side but pretty strong.

Charlie Cowie (1st game in a year), Euan Ross, Niall Rogerson, Ben Johnstone and Harry McLinden played for us from the 1st team pool. No 'senior' players though. The rest of the team were 18s or younger. Stevie Harkness started at centre back who only turned 16 this month.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Workington supporter here anyone got any opinion of Efe Ambrose, signed for us yesterday after leaving Bury due to travel reasons. Hopefully will help out what is quite a young inexperienced side. 
Good to see one of our ex player of the years settling in with you Matty Douglas , if we had the money he would have been top of the shopping list in the summer 

11 minutes ago, Whiteside said:

Workington supporter here anyone got any opinion of Efe Ambrose, signed for us yesterday after leaving Bury due to travel reasons. Hopefully will help out what is quite a young inexperienced side. 
Good to see one of our ex player of the years settling in with you Matty Douglas , if we had the money he would have been top of the shopping list in the summer 

If you need to get somewhere quickly or on time, don't accept a lift from him.

39 minutes ago, Swarley said:

If you need to get somewhere quickly or on time, don't accept a lift from him.

Aye, his timekeeping is allegedly an issue. He's appears a bit laid back during games, can give Man of Match performances with more than the odd bombscare moment thrown in trying to play the ball out from the back. Obviously hasn't got the pace now so might be an issue against a speedy forward but his reading of the game is quite good. Not sure he's still up to the backflip celebration if he scores though. 

Matty Douglas is a great signing for us, early days of course but looks like being a key player. Looks good captain material as well.

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

1 hour ago, Whiteside said:

Aye, as has been mentioned the triple back flip goal celebration is worth the entrance money on its own. 😎

Edit - you'll not see many unfortunately.

Edited by Otis Blue

Disappointing that we haven’t been close to getting our best 11 on the pitch.

Clearly a subjective view but if we ever get a full squad to pick from I would go with :-

Stewart /Hogarth

Hewitt Brydon Douglas Church

Luissint Lyon O’ Donnell

Kennedy? Bryden Dickenson

Stewart has done well but Hogarth was excellent away at Airdrie. I put a question mark against Kennedy because I think he has generally struggled and McKechnie has offered more so not sure about that position. Walker has done ok as well.

i have never been sold on Cochrane so pleased that we got O’ Donnell on loan.

Possibly 4 of these 11 are likely to be unavailable - makes winning games a big challenge.

Afternoon All

My first post although a regular on here for a couple of years

A Birmingham City fan first and foremost but with a soft spot for QoS and Forfar!

We've just announced the signing of Lyndon Dykes - obvs learned his trade with QoS and developed since at Livi and QPR but what type of player can we expect? We've spent more than the rest of L1 since our relegation and I think he's the 14th new face with Scott Wright of Rangers rumoured to be the imminent 15th

We've also signed Alfie May who's been prolific at L1 so think if him and Dykes play together as a front two or May in the no 10, we could be in for some goals!

8 minutes ago, Rouky1 said:

Will Queen's be due anything from Dykes moving to Birmingham?

I'm not sure how diluted sell-on fees are - Livi maybe but I would have thought unlikely for QoS

Undisclosed fee but the ITKers down here reckon £1m/£1.5m is what we'll be paying

3 minutes ago, Worcester Source said:

Afternoon All

A Birmingham City fan first and foremost but with a soft spot for QoS and Forfar!

We've just announced the signing of Lyndon Dykes - obvs learned his trade with QoS and developed since at Livi and QPR but what type of player can we expect? We've spent more than the rest of L1 since our relegation and I think he's the 14th new face with Scott Wright of Rangers rumoured to be the imminent 15th

We've also signed Alfie May who's been prolific at L1 so think if him and Dykes play together as a front two or May in the no 10, we could be in for some goals!

He'll absolutely divide your support. He won't score a barrow-load for you which will instantly give the 'haters' something to moan about. But he'll put himself about and bully defences. He will win his fair share of headers but if your manager has any sense he will utilise his feet more than his head as his technical ability is very good particularly for someone his size. His link up play with Dobbie years ago was exceptional - Dobbie got the headlines with the 40 odd goals but Dykes was a massive factor in him reaching that number. He'll likely get more assists than goals. If May is a proven goalscorer it could be an interesting front two. 

I hope he does well at City and finds his form again. As much as he divides Scotland fans and some folk really don't like him, he was a huge miss at the Euros. 

(FWIW, I didn't appreciate Dykes right away at QoS until I started to watch him more closely). 

43 minutes ago, Worcester Source said:

Afternoon All

Yeah, pretty well covered by @19QOS19 already. He's never gonna be top scorer but he'll work his socks off and centre backs will just hate him. Good at bringing others into the game and getting you up the park. A free scoring forward is gonna love playing beside him. Never gonna be a superstar but the fans should take to him.

1 hour ago, Worcester Source said:

Afternoon All

We've just announced the signing of Lyndon Dykes - obvs learned his trade with QoS and developed since at Livi and QPR but what type of player can we expect? 

Good luck with him.

He could probably do a decent job for Forfar if partnered with the right player.