The Queen of the South thread

That was a particularly comfortable win today, but then it wasnt a great looking Annan side.

For us, I wasnt impressed with the keeper. Im also not convinced by Dowie, Russell playing out wide or Lyle as a lone striker. Im also presuming the Higgins and McGuffie came on at left back and centre mid just for the run out, rather than with any intention to play them there.

Positives - Durnan absolutely strolled through the game. Micthell and Holt looked good, especially going forward. Young controlled the midfield well and, up front, Paton and Carmichael both looked really sharp. Paton, in particular, was impressive and his goal was an absolute peach! Hopefully, with a proper pre-season under his belt, we'll see what hes capable of next season.

Some real positives from today, some of the passing and movement was really good

That was a particularly comfortable win today, but then it wasnt a great looking Annan side.

For us, I wasnt impressed with the keeper. Im also not convinced by Dowie, Russell playing out wide or Lyle as a lone striker. Im also presuming the Higgins and McGuffie came on at left back and centre mid just for the run out, rather than with any intention to play them there.

Positives - Durnan absolutely strolled through the game. Micthell and Holt looked good, especially going forward. Young controlled the midfield well and, up front, Paton and Carmichael both looked really sharp. Paton, in particular, was impressive and his goal was an absolute peach! Hopefully, with a proper pre-season under his belt, we'll see what hes capable of next season.

Some real positives from today, some of the passing and movement was really good

I thought without ever being put under a lot of pressure we looked solid at the back but having said that I would prefer Higgins in alongside Durnan.

Couldn't quite work out what formation we were playing at times but I though Young and McShane did well along with Paton. On today's performance not sure about Lyle up front on his own and Russell wide left, although a few times he took the ball off Mitchel at right back!

I thought Reilly look sharp when he came on as did Danny, Burns and McKenna. I hope they aren't thinking of Higgins as a left back, nowhere nerearly as eveffective a s Holt was today.

I felt sorry for Steven Black, didn't look anwhere near the player he was for us last season.

As easy a 2 nil as you would hope to see.

I agree with most of what you say but have to disagree with your comments about the keeper & Dowie. I think although the keeper wasn't really tested he did ok with what he had to do, in the second half he was virtually a spectator. The same could be said about Dowie, thought he looked fairly comfortable alongside Durnan, I think they will be first choice this season & will get better the more they play together.

I thought without ever being put under a lot of pressure we looked solid at the back but having said that I would prefer Higgins in alongside Durnan.

Couldn't quite work out what formation we were playing at times but I though Young and McShane did well along with Paton. On today's performance not sure about Lyle up front on his own and Russell wide left, although a few times he took the ball off Mitchel at right back!

I thought Reilly look sharp when he came on as did Danny, Burns and McKenna. I hope they aren't thinking of Higgins as a left back, nowhere nerearly as eveffective a s Holt was today.

I felt sorry for Steven Black, didn't look anwhere near the player he was for us last season.

As easy a 2 nil as you would hope to see.

There was definitely a lot of movement and interchanging in the midfield and up front, well the wingers at least. It was also good to see how much the players showed for possession. There was always one of the midfield 3 looking to take the ball off the defence and they were making runs forward to support the forwards too. Russell and Paton were also showing deep, drifting inside and switching flanks. Definitely one of the main positives from the game

I agree with most of what you say but have to disagree with your comments about the keeper & Dowie. I think although the keeper wasn't really tested he did ok with what he had to do, in the second half he was virtually a spectator. The same could be said about Dowie, thought he looked fairly comfortable alongside Durnan, I think they will be first choice this season & will get better the more they play together.

Certainly cant argue that the keeper wasnt tested. He just doesnt fill me with any confidence, to be honest. He almost gifted a goal with a short pass, flapped at a cross and got lucky with a catch he tried to take above his head but ended up clutching to his chest. Not saying hes a bad keeper, just that I wasnt that impressed.

On that performance, against better opposition, Dowie would have been exposed. He was caught out of position a couple of times, as well as coming to try and win a ball that wasnt his and, therefore, being out of position, but nothing came of it. He also ran 20 yards to go for a ball in the air and got absolutely nowhere near it - twice! I didnt think he looked anywhere near as comfortable against what was a very poor looking 3rd division striker as Durnan did. Again. Im not saying he played badly, just that I didnt see anything that impressed me and suggested he should be playing ahead of Higgins.

For what it's worth I thought antell looked ok for what he had to do at the pass back he lost his footing but that seemed to happen a few times and not just to him.

Can't really judge the team on that as Annan looked poor but patons goal was a cracker

A nice day out in Annan - two first half goals sealed the game, Thought Paton was immense first half and Danny the same when he came on. These two will be important players for us this season. Holt and Mitcheel pushed up well and centres halves never really tested. Keeper looked ok for what he had to do. Where was Young playing seemed to be most forward of midfield and slattery had a good first half with plenty in the engine with encouraging runs. I was disappointed with Lyle and Russell and they didn't seem to combine well at at all. Of second half subs McGuff missed a chance he should ahve buried and Reilly never gave back 4 any peace in half hour he played.

I also noticed a lot of players struggling to keep their feet today. Several times players would slip and fall when under no pressure - hope this does not happen on our pitch.

A reasonable crowd maybe 4-500 but in my opinion just convinces me summer football is a no no. I went myself today as out of some of my usual gang 2 were at T in park, 3 at Moffat Gala, one was bowling, 2 golfing, 3 others were away on holiday and 3 others were going to the seaside!!! These are all people who attend maybe 75-80% of home games. Give me winter footabll on a staurday afternoon when there is nothing else to do!

Sean Higgins who was training with us and played in 2 of our pre season games

has signed for Stenhousemuir.

I would have been concerned if we had signed him. Best years behind him. His focus elsewhere (on his future career).

I would rather have young and hungry. :huh:

I would rather we signed young and hungry players too.