The Queen of the South thread

He'll be gutted that his title hasn't just gone ; it's been obliterated.

Poulton did well to keep the title for so long, but I think the new holder will retain it for ever.

In terms of formations, I really like the formation that Dundee Utd play at the moment (4-2-3-1)

Its a solid back four with 2 defensive midfielders in front of them for protection. This gives the middle 3 midfielders license to attack at will and no real defensive duties, with a lone striker to hopefully put away the chances the attacking midfielders create.

I know we can only dream of having players like Gauld, Mackay-Steven, Cifti, Armstrong, etc, but the system itself might be worth a try and cant be any worse than what we've offered up so far.

The 2 midfield enforcer jobs would seem to sit quite well with the footballing attributes of McKenna and Young. I've said all along that we lacked creativity in midfield even when Allan Johnstone was assembling the squad in the summer ( I would have kept Willie Gibson for that reason as an option to play in the area just behind the main striker/s) but the attacking midfield 3 could be Paton, Carmichael and Burns, all interchanging and switching as required. I think wee Danny might benefit from coming in off the wing and playing in the hole behind the striker for a change.

Reilly and Russell could fight it out for who starts up front, with the other one coming on after an hour.

-------------------------------- Clark--------------------------------

Mitchell------------Durnan-----------Higgins----------------Holt

---------------McKenna-----------------Young--------------------

Burns------------------- Carmichael-----------------------Paton

-----------------------------Russell----------------------------------

Subbies from: New goalie (transfer window), Guff, Kev D, McShane, Dowie, Lyle, Gav, Orsi, new attacking midfielder(transfer window)

The formation will probably never happen at Palmerston, but Dundee Utd are scoring for fun at the moment with this system and are the best team to watch in Scotland at the moment.

In terms of formations, I really like the formation that Dundee Utd play at the moment (4-2-3-1)

Its a solid back four with 2 defensive midfielders in front of them for protection. This gives the middle 3 midfielders license to attack at will and no real defensive duties, with a lone striker to hopefully put away the chances the attacking midfielders create.

I know we can only dream of having players like Gauld, Mackay-Steven, Cifti, Armstrong, etc, but the system itself might be worth a try and cant be any worse than what we've offered up so far.

The 2 midfield enforcer jobs would seem to sit quite well with the footballing attributes of McKenna and Young. I've said all along that we lacked creativity in midfield even when Allan Johnstone was assembling the squad in the summer ( I would have kept Willie Gibson for that reason as an option to play in the area just behind the main striker/s) but the attacking midfield 3 could be Paton, Carmichael and Burns, all interchanging and switching as required. I think wee Danny might benefit from coming in off the wing and playing in the hole behind the striker for a change.

Reilly and Russell could fight it out for who starts up front, with the other one coming on after an hour.

-------------------------------- Clark--------------------------------

Mitchell------------Durnan-----------Higgins----------------Holt

---------------McKenna-----------------Young--------------------

Burns------------------- Carmichael-----------------------Paton

-----------------------------Russell----------------------------------

Subbies from: New goalie (transfer window), Guff, Kev D, McShane, Dowie, Lyle, Gav, Orsi, new attacking midfielder(transfer window)

The formation will probably never happen at Palmerston, but Dundee Utd are scoring for fun at the moment with this system and are the best team to watch in Scotland at the moment.

Sure we have tried this formation a few times already. Young is out injured ( operation ),

Sure we have tried this formation a few times already. Young is out injured ( operation ),

You could be right mate, but I think JM favoured and played the 4-1-4-1 formation for a long while, without too much success, as opposed to the 4-2-3-1 system that Dundee Utd play.

Anyway, arguing about formation tweaks like this could be seen as akin to fiddling while Rome burns I suppose. I, along with most other fans I think, would still love to see him give last years 4-4-2 team a crack at this division, with Russell in place of Clark through the middle. Burnsy would have to deputise for Young in the meantime in a midfield 4 of Carmichael, Mckenna, Burns & Paton. Surely this team has to be tried now that Mckenna & Burns are available once again? If JM wants the fans on-side I think he has to play this team asap and see how it performs.

You could be right mate, but I think JM favoured and played the 4-1-4-1 formation for a long while, without too much success, as opposed to the 4-2-3-1 system that Dundee Utd play.

Anyway, arguing about formation tweaks like this could be seen as akin to fiddling while Rome burns I suppose. I, along with most other fans I think, would still love to see him give last years 4-4-2 team a crack at this division, with Russell in place of Clark through the middle. Burnsy would have to deputise for Young in the meantime in a midfield 4 of Carmichael, Mckenna, Burns & Paton. Surely this team has to be tried now that Mckenna & Burns are available once again? If JM wants the fans on-side I think he has to play this team asap and see how it performs.

McIntyre abandoned the 4-1-4-1 after the Rangers game and moved to exactly the system you described, albeit with different personnel.

From Tell Him He's Pele. Bang on, IMO.

1) One step forward, one step back for Queen of the South

With recent wins against Alloa Athletic, Hamilton Academical and Greenock Morton, Queen of the South’s recent form had indicated that Jim McIntyre’s tendency to tinker had, at long last, unearthed a system that could probably see his side stabilise in the middle reaches of the Championship table. The loss and general level of performance against Raith Rovers, however, would suggest that Queens are still some distance from being able to achieve such a modest aspiration.

Queens began the match at Stark’s Park with the same line-up that saw off Morton with relative ease the previous week. However, defeating an out of sorts relegation candidate at home is considerably different from facing a play-off contender away. On Saturday’s evidence, McIntyre’s idiosyncratic approach to selection has appeared to hinder his side’s chances once again. In the manager’s defence, he does seem to have rectified some of his mistakes from earlier in the season, replacing the hopeless Calum Antell with Zander Clark and restoring last season’s highly praised back four, but it is further forward where problems persist.

With Liam Fox absent from the Rovers midfield, Grant Murray handed youth player Ross Callachan his first start of the season, but despite his inexperience, he and Kevin Moon were just too much for Derek Young and Ian McShane to deal with in the middle of the park. Young was replaced after 35 minutes by Stephen McKenna and although the latter’s introduction gave Queens some added impetus in the central areas, it was not enough to influence the game.

In the wide positions, McIntyre still obstinately fields Iain Russell on the left and Danny Carmichael on the right (despite the latter having featured on the left flank under previous manager Allan Johnston) and neither player looked comfortable. Carmichael in particular played poorly and failed to support full-back Chris Mitchell in dealing with Joe Cardle and the Rovers winger had one of his most productive games for some time.

Queens also opted to play a long ball game, something which the Stark’s Park crowd can testify to as being successful up to a point, but only if selfless forwards who are prepared to run the channels – think John Baird or Gregory Tade – are available. Derek Lyle is not such a player and in truth, the only thing the well-travelled striker brought to the match was a sensational tan. Lyle has scored three goals in 14 league appearances, a very ordinary return, and it seems strange that Russell, a superior forward, is shunted out wide to accommodate him.

Perhaps most concerning of all is their tendency of letting in late, costly goals, with Calum Elliot’s 86th minute winner the latest to add to an unenviable portfolio. It takes their tally of goals conceded in the last 15 minutes of matches to nine (almost half their total of the campaign so far). It is a sign that they are either low on fitness, fortitude, or both.

Jim McIntyre might have addressed some of the problems which blighted his side’s return to the second tier, but if Morton are able to improve under their new manager (whoever it may be), his obdurate refusal to stop placing square pegs into round holes and his inability to harden their resolve could see Queens pulled into trouble at the bottom of the table. SM

From Tell Him He's Pele. Bang on, IMO.

1) One step forward, one step back for Queen of the South

With recent wins against Alloa Athletic, Hamilton Academical and Greenock Morton, Queen of the South’s recent form had indicated that Jim McIntyre’s tendency to tinker had, at long last, unearthed a system that could probably see his side stabilise in the middle reaches of the Championship table. The loss and general level of performance against Raith Rovers, however, would suggest that Queens are still some distance from being able to achieve such a modest aspiration.

Queens began the match at Stark’s Park with the same line-up that saw off Morton with relative ease the previous week. However, defeating an out of sorts relegation candidate at home is considerably different from facing a play-off contender away. On Saturday’s evidence, McIntyre’s idiosyncratic approach to selection has appeared to hinder his side’s chances once again. In the manager’s defence, he does seem to have rectified some of his mistakes from earlier in the season, replacing the hopeless Calum Antell with Zander Clark and restoring last season’s highly praised back four, but it is further forward where problems persist.

With Liam Fox absent from the Rovers midfield, Grant Murray handed youth player Ross Callachan his first start of the season, but despite his inexperience, he and Kevin Moon were just too much for Derek Young and Ian McShane to deal with in the middle of the park. Young was replaced after 35 minutes by Stephen McKenna and although the latter’s introduction gave Queens some added impetus in the central areas, it was not enough to influence the game.

In the wide positions, McIntyre still obstinately fields Iain Russell on the left and Danny Carmichael on the right (despite the latter having featured on the left flank under previous manager Allan Johnston) and neither player looked comfortable. Carmichael in particular played poorly and failed to support full-back Chris Mitchell in dealing with Joe Cardle and the Rovers winger had one of his most productive games for some time.

Queens also opted to play a long ball game, something which the Stark’s Park crowd can testify to as being successful up to a point, but only if selfless forwards who are prepared to run the channels – think John Baird or Gregory Tade – are available. Derek Lyle is not such a player and in truth, the only thing the well-travelled striker brought to the match was a sensational tan. Lyle has scored three goals in 14 league appearances, a very ordinary return, and it seems strange that Russell, a superior forward, is shunted out wide to accommodate him.

Perhaps most concerning of all is their tendency of letting in late, costly goals, with Calum Elliot’s 86th minute winner the latest to add to an unenviable portfolio. It takes their tally of goals conceded in the last 15 minutes of matches to nine (almost half their total of the campaign so far). It is a sign that they are either low on fitness, fortitude, or both.

Jim McIntyre might have addressed some of the problems which blighted his side’s return to the second tier, but if Morton are able to improve under their new manager (whoever it may be), his obdurate refusal to stop placing square pegs into round holes and his inability to harden their resolve could see Queens pulled into trouble at the bottom of the table. SM

Other than Carmichael playing on the left under Johnston, it is spot on. Carmichael may well have played there on the odd occasion, but he was far more effective on the right with Paton on the left. Something which it took McIntyre weeks to realise

It is spot on (aside from the comments about Carmichael) although it wasn't just McIntyre's tendency to tinker that unearthed a team. He only dropped Guff and replaced him with Mitchell after the incident. And the same might be said for Reilly getting his chance to play.

The fact that he thought Antell was good enough and that he continues to think Russell is a left winger should be enough on their own to get him binned. But there are loads of other questionable decisions and judgements, not to mention the way we play now.

I'm struggling to think how anybody could have done much worse than he has.

It is spot on (aside from the comments about Carmichael) although it wasn't just McIntyre's tendency to tinker that unearthed a team. He only dropped Guff and replaced him with Mitchell after the incident. And the same might be said for Reilly getting his chance to play.

The fact that he thought Antell was good enough and that he continues to think Russell is a left winger should be enough on their own to get him binned. But there are loads of other questionable decisions and judgements, not to mention the way we play now.

I'm struggling to think how anybody could have done much worse than he has.

You are correct . Unforseen circumstances are the only reason he 'stumbled' across our best back four. His stubborness could well bite him right on the arse jobwise. You wonder if McCabe has any input into what goes on.

You are correct . Unforseen circumstances are the only reason he 'stumbled' across our best back four. His stubborness could well bite him right on the arse jobwise. You wonder if McCabe has any input into what goes on.

McIntyre and McCabe work as a team, something like Morecambe and Wise I imagine.