The Queen of the South thread

Skyline , I am certain ( almost anyway) that you know that Tommy Bryce scored his world famous hat-trick for us this day in 1993 against Arbroath . Just wondering how we could accurately claim the 1min 46 secs world record trick and who timed it ? Would the ref have been credited with this or someone else in the crowd ? Not many people would have seen this as it was a tiny crowd. PS and no , I am not trying to catch you out just interested .

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Skyline , I am certain ( almost anyway) that you know that Tommy Bryce scored his world famous hat-trick for us this day in 1993 against Arbroath . Just wondering how we could accurately claim the 1min 46 secs world record trick and who timed it ? Would the ref have been credited with this or someone else in the crowd ? Not many people would have seen this as it was a tiny crowd. PS and no , I am not trying to catch you out just interested .

You give me far too much credit old friend. I was there when it happened and remember it reasonably well but wouldn't have had a clue that it was 21 years ago today.

I'm not aware that "we" have claimed that it was 1min 46 secs and it certainly wasn't a "world record" even if it was. As I recall the Guinness Book of Records at the time simply said he'd scored in the 8th, 9th and 10th minutes and included it in a list of similarly timed hat-tricks, though it is a long time and many editions since it mentioned it at all. Referees don't time in seconds, only in minutes (well they do now anyway, I can't imagine it used to be recorded more accurately). I've no idea where a time accurate to the second could come from given that as far as I know the game wasn't filmed.

I can tell you from my own memory that by my watch it was under 120 seconds for all three goals. Back then I wore a digital watch which had seconds on it and I recall being fairly adamant at the time that I had looked at my watch when the first went in and again at the third and it was just under two minutes. I wouldn't have thought it was as far under as 1:46 though and there's clearly nothing "official" about me looking at my watch as part of the crowd back then anyway. Where is the 1:46 time coming from?

A google search brings back a few results including a thread from this site:

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/47639-quickest-hat-trick/

Wikipedia has it down as 1 minute 46 seconds. As does this Cult Heroes article from the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/football_focus/3663254.stm

Most likely that the papers went with that figure and it has gone down as that in the history books. As you say, unlikely anyone inside the ground would have been timing it to the second. It's a bit like Ryan McCann's goal, I'm sure the press had all sorts of figures for the distance the next day (not to mention the radio clip "from 80 YAAAAAAAARDSSSSS!). The club were able to get a definitive answer on that one and measure it as 84 yards, but that's not going to be possible in this case.

Incidentally that Cult Heroes article is a terrible piece. I can understand the cult aspect for Mallan. Tommy Bryce is more a legend than a cult hero, and surely in all the time the club's been in existence there has been better candidates than Alex bloody Nesovic!

You give me far too much credit old friend. I was there when it happened and remember it reasonably well but wouldn't have had a clue that it was 21 years ago today.

I'm not aware that "we" have claimed that it was 1min 46 secs and it certainly wasn't a "world record" even if it was. As I recall the Guinness Book of Records at the time simply said he'd scored in the 8th, 9th and 10th minutes and included it in a list of similarly timed hat-tricks, though it is a long time and many editions since it mentioned it at all. Referees don't time in seconds, only in minutes (well they do now anyway, I can't imagine it used to be recorded more accurately). I've no idea where a time accurate to the second could come from given that as far as I know the game wasn't filmed.

I can tell you from my own memory that by my watch it was under 120 seconds for all three goals. Back then I wore a digital watch which had seconds on it and I recall being fairly adamant at the time that I had looked at my watch when the first went in and again at the third and it was just under two minutes. I wouldn't have thought it was as far under as 1:46 though and there's clearly nothing "official" about me looking at my watch as part of the crowd back then anyway. Where is the 1:46 time coming from?

1.46 is the time we ( QoS) or the ref must have claimed the hat- trick was scored in . Any google search will back that or I could rummage around old programmes in the loft for the proceeding one after the Arbroath game for info . Like you , I wondered about the legitimacy of the exact time of the trick that was claimed. Anyway, I am quite happy for the legend that is Tommy Bryce to have this accolade. Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

A google search brings back a few results including a thread from this site:

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/47639-quickest-hat-trick/

Wikipedia has it down as 1 minute 46 seconds. As does this Cult Heroes article from the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/football_focus/3663254.stm

Most likely that the papers went with that figure and it has gone down as that in the history books. As you say, unlikely anyone inside the ground would have been timing it to the second. It's a bit like Ryan McCann's goal, I'm sure the press had all sorts of figures for the distance the next day (not to mention the radio clip "from 80 YAAAAAAAARDSSSSS!). The club were able to get a definitive answer on that one and measure it as 84 yards, but that's not going to be possible in this case.

Incidentally that Cult Heroes article is a terrible piece. I can understand the cult aspect for Mallan. Tommy Bryce is more a legend than a cult hero, and surely in all the time the club's been in existence there has been better candidates than Alex bloody Nesovic!

I had forgotten all about that thread despite having posted on it three times I see! Pleased to see what I posted then is pretty consistent with what I posted now too. It appears 1:48 reared its head when Bryce was inducted into the Hall of Fame. That Cult Heroes piece is earlier but if it mentions an exact time in it then I'm not seeing it?

Seems to have been largely written by Fraser McLean who used to post on here occasionally as 'Frascoigne'. There was a bizarre cult following around Nesovic at the time, probably due to the long hair and the exotic name / Serbian background which made him very unusual for us back in the day.

1.46 is the time we ( QoS) or the ref must have claimed the hat- trick was scored in . Any google search will back that or I could rummage around old programmes in the loft for the proceeding one after the Arbroath game for info . Like you , I wondered about the legitimacy of the exact time of the trick that was claimed. Anyway, I am quite happy for the legend that is Tommy Bryce to have this accolade.

I don't need to rummage, my programmes are on an easily accessible shelf albeit I'm not at home at the moment. As quoted above though, I'm sure it was only reported as a two minute hat trick until much more recently. My post on the thread Cammy dug up suggests I'd never heard suggestion of anything lower until the Hall of Fame night (the Wiki entry will have come from that I expect. The poster Albertx / Rusty111 appears to do all the updates on there). Bryce himself in a quote in his "Legend" article on our website claims it was 1:46 I see. It would be interesting to find out when and where that figure first appeared from.

SD- I have a pretty good QoS prog collection going back donkeys years. If you are ever faced in the future with a tricky query then I might be able to help

I've got every programme, both home and away, from August 1991 to present date. I also have a fairly comprehensive collection of home programmes going back to the mid 80's and a fair selection of home programmes right back through the 70's. Not much before that though. They are not a great source of info going that far back but I've used them before for queries.

Talking of anniversaries, is it not about 20 years since we played Partizan Belgrade?

All I can remember about that night was 1) the sub-zero temperature, 2) the rock-hard pitch that was borderline unplayable, and 3) we got our collective ar$e$ handed to us by a very useful-looking team.

Talking of anniversaries, is it not about 20 years since we played Partizan Belgrade?

All I can remember about that night was 1) the sub-zero temperature, 2) the rock-hard pitch that was borderline unplayable, and 3) we got our collective ar$e$ handed to us by a very useful-looking team.

From the QoS Archive site:

QoS versus Partizan Belgrade, date: 22/12/1994, attendance: 1,902, score: 0-4, Line-up:

McQueen

B McKeown

D McKeown

C Campbell

Ramsey

Bryce

Jackson

D Campbell

Mallan

McLaren

McFarlane

Subs.

Bell

Purdie

Hetherington

Miller

Kennedy

EDITED to add: No idea who 'Miller' was? Anybody remind me?

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Rings no bells. Young player who didn't make much / any impact in the first team maybe?

If I recall correctly he was a local lad, year above me at the High School I think, so he would have been 18/19 at the time. He came off the bench in that game and missed a good chance.

Edited by TeeMan

I've got every programme, both home and away, from August 1991 to present date. I also have a fairly comprehensive collection of home programmes going back to the mid 80's and a fair selection of home programmes right back through the 70's. Not much before that though. They are not a great source of info going that far back but I've used them before for queries.

That's you trumped then JRS left peg haha

Excellent shout.

It was truly freezing. I remember that only a few girders of what I still call the new stand, were in place. Their team looked extremely slick against us, but it's worth remembering that we were not great at the time.

How long is Slattery away on loan? end of year, 90days or end of seas?

By all accounts Splatters has been playing well and the team are on a good run of results with only 1 defeat in ten. It will have done him the power of good to get a run of first team games. I would expect we'll get a better player back in January.