The Queen of the South thread

Good news, but hanging onto the old guys was never going to be the issue.

Maybe but these are three big characters in the dressing room as well as being club captain, top goalscorer & 3rd top scorer from midfield.

Got to feel a bit sorry for Chris Mitchell . Been a very good player for us , hasn't been able to get back into the team and is certain to get released. Will never forget his excellent dead ball delivery.

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Have heard from a good source that Gav is heading north, and will be a Jambo next season .

Oh well am sure we will find a suitable replacement Gav is a good player but not unreplacable .I think he would be better staying put and playing first team football with Qos but hey ho thats the way of it i suppose.

Got to feel a bit sorry for Chris Mitchell . Been a very good player for us , hasn't been able to get back into the team and is certain to get released. Will never forget his excellent dead ball delivery.

The manager must think Hooper is a better prospect and he's probably a lot cheaper but yes you've got to kind of feel sorry for Mitchell.

The manager must think Hooper is a better prospect and he's probably a lot cheaper but yes you've got to kind of feel sorry for Mitchell.

Think Lewis Kidd is in pole position when wee play with wingbacks and Andy Dowie when we play with fullbacks both have played really well this season. With young Hooper starting to get game time too its going to be tough for Mitch.

Mitchell has done well for Queens but hus injury came at a bad time for him and its prob best he moves on to continue his career.

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

See that James Keating's is another that Hearts won't be offering a new contract to. He would be a good addition for us but don't suppose we could afford his wage though!

Keatings is under contract for next year at Hearts, he isnt out of contract. They have told him first team opportunities will be limited and he can go if he wants. Not quite the same thing.

I'd say he had at best a very good dead ball delivery. I personally wouldn't go as far as saying they were excellent. He had a fair chunk of utterly woeful deliveries as well, especially corners. From what I've seen so far I'd say Millar's deliveries are better.

Keatings is under contract for next year at Hearts, he isnt out of contract. They have told him first team opportunities will be limited and he can go if he wants. Not quite the same thing.

It's technically not the same thing no but I don't think it really affects Hawk's point. If a team were to offer him a deal, it appears Hearts would be happy to let things unfold as if he was an out of contract player.

(I've not bothered to check his age, but if he is a youngster then it voids my point! :P)

Edited by 19QOS19

It's technically not the same thing no but I don't think it really affects Hawk's point. If a team were to offer him a deal, it appears Hearts would be happy to let things unfold as if he was an out of contract player.

(I've not bothered to check his age, but if he is a youngster then it voids my point! :P)

He's 23 but that's irrelevant. It's not remotely the same thing. It's not about Hearts, it's about the player. It's comparatively irrelevant what Eckersley earns from Hearts as he's out of contract and will be earning nothing at all in a couple of months. He's still likely out of our price range I expect given the sort of clubs who were looking at him before Hearts but he is at least having to look for a new club. Keatings isn't. He has another year year's contract which is no doubt on a very decent salary and whilst he is free to talk to others, he's not been told he's out of the frame completely and he's unlikely to want to take a significant drop just to play a wee bit more often.

He's 23 but that's irrelevant. It's not remotely the same thing. It's not about Hearts, it's about the player. It's comparatively irrelevant what Eckersley earns from Hearts as he's out of contract and will be earning nothing at all in a couple of months. He's still likely out of our price range I expect given the sort of clubs who were looking at him before Hearts but he is at least having to look for a new club. Keatings isn't. He has another year year's contract which is no doubt on a very decent salary and whilst he is free to talk to others, he's not been told he's out of the frame completely and he's unlikely to want to take a significant drop just to play a wee bit more often.

Which is pretty sad really, and is everything that is wrong with football. I'd like to see a player, who's been told he isn't going to get many games, be willing to drop a couple of hundred quid in order to play regularly. Which sadly, too many players wouldn't do. They'd rather sit on a bench for a healthy wage each week. Some would say that's no bad thing and why not. But it's pretty sad seeing players loving the money more than the game.

It's only a different thing for the player yes. My point is that it wouldn't make any odds to clubs who were interested in him though. So they'd be as well chancing their arm if they fancied taking him on.

Which is pretty sad really, and is everything that is wrong with football. I'd like to see a player, who's been told he isn't going to get many games, be willing to drop a couple of hundred quid in order to play regularly. Which sadly, too many players wouldn't do. They'd rather sit on a bench for a healthy wage each week. Some would say that's no bad thing and why not. But it's pretty sad seeing players loving the money more than the game.

It's only a different thing for the player yes. My point is that it wouldn't make any odds to clubs who were interested in him though. So they'd be as well chancing their arm if they fancied taking him on.

A couple of hundred quid a week is a decent whack eac month. Could you afford to lose £500 after tax each month. He'll have bills and a mortgage as well.

A couple of hundred quid a week is a decent whack eac month. Could you afford to lose £500 after tax each month. He'll have bills and a mortgage as well.

The notion that the difference between a first team wage at Hearts and a first team wage at QoS is a couple of hundred pounds is ludicrous anyway.

The notion that the difference between a first team wage at Hearts and a first team wage at QoS is a couple of hundred pounds is ludicrous anyway.

Don't be pedantic ;) It was a random figure. I don't know what either team pays their players, but that's irrelevant to the point I was making anyway.

Don't be pedantic ;) It was a random figure. I don't know what either team pays their players, but that's irrelevant to the point I was making anyway.

Its not though. Its not remotely irrelevant. Keatings isnt being frozen out at Hearts, he's just been told that his opportunities will be more limited. He will still be involved. I dont know what Keatings earns either but I cant imagine his wage is so low that he would happily give up most of it to play more often. As noted previously Hearts will have made it to our usual gate receipts for the season inside about four home games. Different world in budget terms.