The Queen of the South thread

john routledge and bob McHugh not been training with us past few weeks?

No idea about Routledge though I did read that on here. Can't imagine McHugh would have been anywhere near us as he's been on loan with Airdrie and presumably training with Motherwell when not with them.

EDITED to add - I can't remember a player who has split opinion in our support as much as McShane has. There doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground between the "can't see it" camp and the "outstanding" camp. For what's it's worth I'm very much in the latter. He looks for the ball even when marked. His control is excellent and he looks to do positive things with the ball. And yes, because he does try to create ahead of him he sometimes takes the wrong option or fails to complete a pass. But he keeps trying and never hides. Anyone who thinks he'll be easily replaced obviously hasn't watched us the odd week he missed out. We badly missed his influence at Alloa recently for instance. And his alleged poor delivery from set pieces is exaggerated too. We've scored more set piece goals this season than we have in years. He's not as good as Mitchell was but then I don't think I've ever seen anyone at Queens as good as Mitchell was at a set piece. Not being as good as Mitchell doesn't make him poor though.

If he does go then I think he'll do well a level up, particularly with a manager who already has great confidence and trust in him and will be playing a style that suits him.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

No idea about Routledge though I did read that on here. Can't imagine McHugh would have been anywhere near us as he's been on loan with Airdrie and presumably training with Motherwell when not with them.

EDITED to add - I can't remember a player who has split opinion in our support as much as McShane has. There doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground between the "can't see it" camp and the "outstanding" camp. For what's it's worth I'm very much in the latter. He looks for the ball even when marked. His control is excellent and he looks to do positive things with the ball. And yes, because he does try to create ahead of him he sometimes takes the wrong option or fails to complete a pass. But he keeps trying and never hides. Anyone who thinks he'll be easily replaced obviously hasn't watched us the odd week he missed out. We badly missed his influence at Alloa recently for instance. And his alleged poor delivery from set pieces is exaggerated too. We've scored more set piece goals this season than we have in years. He's not as good as Mitchell was but then I don't think I've ever seen anyone at Queens as good as Mitchell was at a set piece. Not being as good as Mitchell doesn't make him poor though.

If he does go then I think he'll do well a level up, particularly with a manager who already has great confidence and trust in him and will be playing a style that suits him.

If that's true, it's precisely what County are crying out for.

How can it be possibly a bad move for him? He is good enough to get into our first team, has played under McIntyre before so McIntyre knows exactly how to play him. He will be playing Premiership opposition every week, with higher exposure and press. If he excels it can lead to moves elsewhere in the Premiership or down to England. The only way it would be a bad move is if he doesn't play. From what I have seen of him is that he will be in our first team.

Players only get so many moves in their career - most of the players that move to Ross County are players who are trying to resurrect their careers having perhaps slipped out of favour elsewhere and needing a point to prove. I am disappointed that our young players dont get any interest fom England as I view Ross County as a very marginal step up from QOS.

mcshanes will be a big miss depends who else we bring in. his range of passing is excellent. but our fans seem to hate him haven't been to every game this season but from what ive seen hes been one of our better players. works his socks off. some of his passes are more to do with the player he is passing them to not reading the pass

Yeah Skyline has described exactly what County have been missing since Lawson left.

The only difference really between County and Queens is the divisions we find ourselves in. Certainly in the same league we were always similar sized clubs with no real difference between us. Queens quite often finished ahead of us each season.

But when we can offer a player top league football and Queen's can't I think the gap currently is larger than marginal.

A player like Brittain would be ideal for Queens to replace McShane if he was to go (set pieces wise anyway).

Edited by Loki

Mark Kerr and Derek Young ahead of Ian McShane? This makes me happy about Ross County trying to sign him.

It wasn't an entirely serious post. The players mentioned span different seasons and, although each are central midfielders, they play the role differently.

Kerr and Young were both with us in the swan song of their careers, yet became stalwarts due to a fantastic reading of the game that made up for their lack of legs. McShane is the complete opposite. He has great energy and enthusiasm, but I believe a poor reading of the game.

I have absolutely no issue with players who "try things" that don't always come off. I've defended Kerr and many others when they have been criticised for this very thing. I don't think that applies to McShane though. I'm also not buying the defence that it is the recipient who is to blame when one of his passes doesn't come off because even if that is a valid excuse it still ends up in us losing possession. Even if he is blameless a good player will stop doing something that doesn't work and go back to basics.

He often loses possession because he takes too long trying to decide what to do with the ball, or is hurried into a wrong decision. The fact he is then usually unwilling to try and win it back is a bad combination. You'd imagine that in a higher league he will be given even less time on the ball.

It wasn't an entirely serious post. The players mentioned span different seasons and, although each are central midfielders, they play the role differently.

Kerr and Young were both with us in the swan song of their careers, yet became stalwarts due to a fantastic reading of the game that made up for their lack of legs. McShane is the complete opposite. He has great energy and enthusiasm, but I believe a poor reading of the game.

I have absolutely no issue with players who "try things" that don't always come off. I've defended Kerr and many others when they have been criticised for this very thing. I don't think that applies to McShane though. I'm also not buying the defence that it is the recipient who is to blame when one of his passes doesn't come off because even if that is a valid excuse it still ends up in us losing possession. Even if he is blameless a good player will stop doing something that doesn't work and go back to basics.

He often loses possession because he takes too long trying to decide what to do with the ball, or is hurried into a wrong decision. The fact he is then usually unwilling to try and win it back is a bad combination. You'd imagine that in a higher league he will be given even less time on the ball.

I'm seriously unsure you've actually been watching the same player as me over the last couple of seasons.

I'm seriously unsure you've actually been watching the same player as me over the last couple of seasons.

I tend to feel the same way when people are fawning over him.

There's no doubting he had a purple patch with us alongside Kerr. The two of them were able to dominate the midfield like no other, and boss games for us. I think Kerr was a reassuring presence for him because McShane knew he was always there to receive a pass should he run himself into trouble. He's struggled since without that safety net.

You can virtually eliminate him from a game by having someone pressing him at all times. It forces him into mistakes until eventually he just stops getting the ball and becomes a passenger. I'd worry for him in a higher league where he won't be able to let games pass him by.

This seems to be a standard case of "Player X is leaving the club I support so I've always thought Player X was terrible. Player Y has always been a better player".

I am in the undecided camp with Mcshane, I am sure there will be many of those in Dingwall if he does sign for you. Does a lot of good but gives the ball away far too easily too often for me.

This seems to be a standard case of "Player X is leaving the club I support so I've always thought Player X was terrible. Player Y has always been a better player".

Not really. As others have said, McShane divides opinion almost like no other player and has done since he joined

I see that Stephen Simmons is leaving Alloa.

Maybe Queens should sign him ... third time lucky and all that.

Sorry, some things are just too horrible to suggest, even in jest.

Would expect him to be going to a Premiere league team, no?

Best mate maybe?

I'm nowhere near cool enough to be friends with footballers I'm afraid. I'm also a good bit older than Holt.

The point was that my comments aren't some bitter reaction to McShane leaving us, just my opinion. Anyone who reads my posts will be aware that I've been pretty consistent with my criticism of him.

McShane is so frustrating as a player , there were games like the Second Hibs away game where he was incredible, driving forward when we were under pressure and snapping on the heels of their Midfield and others where he played lazy cross field pass after another. I think because he plays more attacking balls than the rest of our centre midfielders and takes more risks in his play that he is always going to be subject to more criticism when he and the rest of the team isn't firing. Personally I think he'll be missed as there is few players at this level who play in a similar style to him and are are positive and him.

I think his work rate is undervalued considering he'd have to cover a lot for Kerr and Millar when their legs went. As well as being someone who came back from a very serious injury at a young age in his development. He should be remembered more fondly than he is going to be.