The Queen of the South thread

Dean Smith has turned down an offer from QoS looks like he will be going part time elsewhere, have watched the lad play and think to further his career a move away to a lower league team & a better chance of first team football will help his career,good luck Dean.

Dean is a sound player who on his day can ghost past players fun,he's also got an eye for goal,didn't quite show what he's capable of when he played for the first team unfortunately. I'd think Eddie Warwick would have happy to keep him for another year..good luck in the future to the boy

Dean is a sound player who on his day can ghost past players fun,he's also got an eye for goal,didn't quite show what he's capable of when he played for the first team unfortunately. I'd think Eddie Warwick would have happy to keep him for another year..good luck in the future to the boy

Why would Dean drop back to the 20's squad for a year? There was no chance of that happening. I would agree with Supersouth, think it would be a good option to move elsewhere and try to get more first team game time. Pretty sure I read in the newspaper last season that Dean was going out on loan to Annan to further his development but this never happened.

Paton and Mckenna good enough signings for the Pars do you reckon?

Mckenna moving away but wouldn't surprise me if Paton signed for Pars best friends with Nicky son of your assist manager Sandy Clark, good player injury prone tho.

Paton gets a hard time of it from fans as being "injury prone" He picked up one bad hamstring injury which kept him out for about 4 months but apart from that nothing major and he went the rest of the season from December without missing any more games through injury. Looks like McKenna isn't moving abroad after all and Im sure alot of fans will be disappointed he is swapping us for the Pars. Not a great player but gives his all and scores the occasional worldie. Hes a decent tackler but his passing range and choice is at times a bit off. As for Paton, he is one of those guys who its hard to decide what his best position is. He is an excellent dribbler and has decent end product,but his lack of pace sometimes doesn't match his clever brain.

I am not sure what the story is with McKenna - clearly if he is looking for a job outside football then not much to be done. Have to say that I would be disappointed to see him go to Dunfermline or any other full time team for that matter. For me he is exactly the type of player that we should be retaining - surprised if he chooses DAFC over us but perhaps he simply wasnt wanted.

Yes, but you're talking about the quality of the team of late, rather than the size of the club. Suggesting they're kind of on a par stature wise with us, strikes me as reasonable enough. You're right in that if you have a pretty shit team for long enough, your stature diminishes - nobody knows that better than Queens fans of a certain age. However, as things stand, Ayr are in the same bracket as us, except for on the pitch.

Yeah, but as you say there comes a point where a team have been performing at a lower level for so long that they cease to be a team performing below the level they should be at and the size of the club gradually declines in line with their performances on the pitch. They may one day in the future establish themselves in the second tier again, but as it stands in size as well as performances Ayr are just a middling third tier club like Brechin or Peterhead. That could change again - see how quickly Hamilton rose in stature or how quickly Clyde became an irrelevance - but as it stands Queen of the South are a far bigger club than Ayr United.

Edited by Dunning1874

Away to Stranraer is always the dream cup tie, but I'll settle for a winnable home draw. As Mr X says it might pull in an extra few punters as well.

Good luck to Paton on his move. The writing was on the wall for him when he was left on the bench at Ibrox in the playoff game.

He has all the potential to be one of the best players in that league. Perhaps Alan Johnston is the man to bring it out of him where others have failed.

Is marshall signed as someone who will be in the under 20s or will he be back up / challenge rutherford? Happy with fowler bringing youth in i think we still need another winger and centre mid/attacker. then we are sorted.

Is marshall signed as someone who will be in the under 20s or will he be back up / challenge rutherford? Happy with fowler bringing youth in i think we still need another winger and centre mid/attacker. then we are sorted.

Think we are covered now on wings. Beany / Conroy on left and Kidd / Skelton on right

Skelton surely hel not be featuring much will.he? Would definitely want a right sided winger. Willbe intriguing to see all the new signings!
Skelton played in nearly every game for Workington last season..

That is 9 players out 9 in wonder if that is it.

Fowler's comments suggest that he'll be in the first team squad.

Happy with Jacobs and Hilson, while Marshall is a complete unknown to us. Positive stuff.