The Queen of the South thread

No real surprise will he be available v Celtic on Sunday. Good luck to him it's maybe his level now will be a standout again in that league. Who's the manager again Brian Reid?

Seems he will be available as was injured for last round v Alloa.

all this talk about recently about loan players and not playing them. I know Greg Kiltie had a few injuries with us when on loan but he didn't get much game time. Interesting that both Killie and Hibs are now after his signature a short time after he couldn't force his way into our team. By all accounts has had some good recent performances

We appear to be in competition for Rangers loanee Andy Murdoch - Falkirk also quoted as being keen on him.

Must say that I would be very surprised if Rangers were to help the Falkirk cause given their prominent position in the League so if rumours are true we might be able to land him. My recollection of Murdoch is that he is a defensive type midfielder who man marked Danny Carmichael at Palmerston in the PlayOff first leg.

Good to see Marshall signing - the two players that I would like us to re-sign now are Messrs Dowie and Higgins. For me they are unquestionably the two most important players in our squad. Mark Durnan was also an excellent centre back but he has struggled at DUFC because he has missed the experience and solidity that Dowie and Higgy gave him last couple of seasons. You never know we might just be able to get Durnan back aided and abetted by the disallusioned Tannadice fans who seem to have apportioned a fair share of the blame to big Vinny.

The more I watch Smith the more I believe he's pretty over-rated by our fans. He's still young and nowhere near the finished article, so I'm no going to slate the boy. But I watched him closely in the last two reserve games (I attended) and his work-rate isn't actually that high. When he wasn't receiving the ball he never went looking for it and he only tended to look interested when the ball was played into him. I would be hesitant to say he's technically very good as either in all honesty.

I do quite like Smith but I'm starting to see why he hasn't featured more regularly for us. A loan move to Berwick can only help the boy surely as he will likely have more time on the ball down there and can then develop his all round game.

Fair comment - the one big advantage that he does have is pace.

I said in a previous post that if you cannot breakthrough at Scottish Championship level by the time you are 19/20 the chances are that the individual concerned may not be quite good enough.

Certainly i would expect Smith to do well in League 2 but it is no cakewalk and it will be good feedback .

Personally i dont think we can afford to let him to go out on loan until we get Hillson back. We only really have Lyle Russell and oliver an if Russell plays wide left that only leaves two fit strikers.

It's a fair enough comment on Smith from what I've seen of him. But I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that he doesn't track back looking for the ball. If a player in any other position strayed so far out of position they would be castigated. He is a goal scorer based on his stats in the reserves. It's not unfair or unusual for a forward to place a level of expectation on his team mates to create chances for him.

Give me a goal scorer over a work horse any day of the week.

It's a fair enough comment on Smith from what I've seen of him. But I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that he doesn't track back looking for the ball. If a player in any other position strayed so far out of position they would be castigated. He is a goal scorer based on his stats in the reserves. It's not unfair or unusual for a forward to place a level of expectation on his team mates to create chances for him.

Give me a goal scorer over a work horse any day of the week.

I agree with this.

Defenders aren't generally criticised for failing to get forward.

I agree with this.

Defenders aren't generally criticised for failing to get forward.

Different thing, though, because forwards are often expected to get back to help the midfield, especially if you play with 2 strikers. I'd say with Smith's pace, he would be expected to stay up front, with the other striker dropping into midfield on occasion. Saying that, he would probably be expected to close defenders down, so not sure if that is what 19QOS19 meant about his work rate rather than not chasing back.

Losing him does leave us a bit short up front. Although he hasn't featured much, as last season showed, an injury and a red card can leave you struggling for an important match.