The Queen of the South thread

Different thing, though, because forwards are often expected to get back to help the midfield, especially if you play with 2 strikers.

That's the point being made.

Front players are expected to perform defensive duties, while defenders (unless they're athletic full backs) are generally allowed to stay put.

I've no problem with forwards being allowed to loiter up front if they're good enough to exploit any service.

That's the point being made.

Front players are expected to perform defensive duties, while defenders (unless they're athletic full backs) are generally allowed to stay put.

I've no problem with forwards being allowed to loiter up front if they're good enough to exploit any service.

Sorry, I thought you were suggesting that defenders should be criticised for not getting forward more.

Anyway, in most cases, certainly with the central defenders who have played for us, I've had no problem with them being allowed to stay out the way at the back and just kick the ball the way they are facing. Some couldn't even manage that.

Sorry, I thought you were suggesting that defenders should be criticised for not getting forward more.

Anyway, in most cases, certainly with the central defenders who have played for us, I've had no problem with them being allowed to stay out the way at the back and just kick the ball the way they are facing. Some couldn't even manage that.

I'd agree with that.

I'd also say that at our level, it's no bad thing if players have a clear idea of their roles and that they largely stick to them.

I always thought Murdoch was an attacking minded player. Never had him as defensive. Was actually speaking to a The Rangers fan about him and he said he classed him more as a box-to-box midfielder rather than pinning him as predominantly defensive or attacking. He rates the boy but says it was maybe too much too soon for him. I thought Murdoch was 'taking the game' to teams a while back, so would be really shocked to find out he was brought in to play in the hole.

Re. My comments about Smith. I wasn't criticising his lack of tracking back (it's not a must with strikers IMO) it was his lack of closing down. When I last saw him he never made a move for the ball unless it was within 10 feet of him. That's ok if you are a good finisher and know you'll make up for it when you get a chance. Smith isn't up to that standard yet and with his pace I just think he should be earning his keep just now by, at the very least defending from the front.