The Queen of the South thread

How many games at Palmerston have been postponed since we got our plastic pitch, and how many away games have been postponed in that time?

I realise that today's game would have gone ahead at Palmerston due to the lack of snow, rather than the surface it hasn't fallen on, but I still wish to be able make smug remarks the next time someone questions our decision to go 3G.

How many games at Palmerston have been postponed since we got our plastic pitch, and how many away games have been postponed in that time?

I realise that today's game would have gone ahead at Palmerston due to the lack of snow, rather than the surface it hasn't fallen on, but I still wish to be able make smug remarks the next time someone questions our decision to go 3G.

All the more galling that we're hardly at home all winter.

Does that actually stand up to any kind of argument, other than the fans want some signings and there havent been any?

You're right in a sense about Hilson but theres no huge risk involved. We're not going to be relegated, or even close.

Suppose the risk is potentially missing out on glamour playoff ties due to Hilson being injured and no other striker being signed to replace Heffernan or Coogans. Would send a good message out to fans if we were to make a good forward signing and the fact Fowler has been stating for so long he is looking for a striker yet has not yet signed one is not great

We've had precisely no (first team) games at all postponed at Palmerston since we went 3G (although we did have one abandoned for wind against Falkirk two years ago).

I have my doubts about whether we would have been playing a fortnight ago if we'd been at home with the amount of snow that fell from lunchtime. I doubt it. We had a 20's game postponed in midweek there but that was mostly due to Ayr having travel difficulties along with consideration of the wind. The pitch was fine.

We've had three away games off this season (St Mirren, Dumbarton & Raith). We had one off last season which was also at Raith in January. Don't think we had any weather postponements the season before. Another one at Raith was postponed in April but it was because they were in the Challenge Cup Final. We also had a Morton away game abandoned due to the death of a supporter.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Suppose the risk is potentially missing out on glamour playoff ties due to Hilson being injured and no other striker being signed to replace Heffernan or Coogans. Would send a good message out to fans if we were to make a good forward signing and the fact Fowler has been stating for so long he is looking for a striker yet has not yet signed one is not great

That's a fair point actually. For all I don't think we need to sign a striker, Fowler has quite vocally suggested we do, so if we don't end up signing one he is going to look rather silly. It's a catch 22 because if he keeps transfer dealings to himself the club will be accused of keeping things from the fans. Tout transfers in the press and you risk having egg on your face.

Does anyone know why he is so desperate for an "experienced" striker. Lyle and Russell couldn't be more experienced at this level if they tried.

We've had precisely no (first team) games at all postponed at Palmerston since we went 3G (although we did have one abandoned for wind against Falkirk two years ago).

I have my doubts about whether we would have been playing a fortnight ago if we'd been at home with the amount of snow that fell from lunchtime. I doubt it. We had a 20's game postponed in midweek there but that was mostly due to Ayr having travel difficulties along with consideration of the wind. The pitch was fine.

We've had two away games off this season (Dumbarton & Raith). We had one off last season which was also at Raith in January. Don't think we had any weather postponements the season before. Another one at Raith was postponed in April but it was because they were in the Challenge Cup Final. We also had a Morton away game abandoned due to the death of a supporter.

Thanks SD. Not often I (or anyone) gets to correct you, but have we not also had a postponement at St Mirren this season as well?

Thanks SD. Not often I (or anyone) gets to correct you, but have we not also had a postponement at St Mirren this season as well?

Ooops! So we have. Completely forgot we were carrying that one too. I was looking at midweek rearrangements but that one's gone to a Saturday so I missed it. :bag

That's a fair point actually. For all I don't think we need to sign a striker, Fowler has quite vocally suggested we do, so if we don't end up signing one he is going to look rather silly. It's a catch 22 because if he keeps transfer dealings to himself the club will be accused of keeping things from the fans. Tout transfers in the press and you risk having egg on your face.

Does anyone know why he is so desperate for an "experienced" striker. Lyle and Russell couldn't be more experienced at this level if they tried.

Has he? I know he's said he'd like another striker (most managers would pretty much). Not sure he's gone as far as saying we need one. Coogans was a young lad up here so we could have a look at him and he could come back home for a spell as he wanted to come back to Scotland. If he contributed anything at first team level into the bargain that would have been great. We've let Heffernan go but have Hilson on the way back. We still have Lyle, Russell, Oliver and Smith. Lyle and Russell are scoring freely enough and there was plenty of evidence that Hilson would had he remained fit. I imagine if we got another one in Smith might go out on loan but we're not desperate. You look at Raith for instance and they have one out and out striker on the books (Mark Stewart). Albeit they have two or three guys like Longridge and Panayatiou who can play wide or up front. Plus Vaughan on his way back. Dumbarton I think only have Garry Fleming as an out and out striker.

I can still remember Queens signing Tommy O'Hara from Washington Diplomats. I was very excited to be signing a player who used to play for Celtic and had made it big in the United States. He was an exciting player on the ball, even when he moved to left back. For me it was a great time to be a Queens supporter with so many great players like Allan Ball, Iain McChesney, John Dempster, Jimmy Donald and the great Peter Dickson. There were many more players of that era who were really special to me, but Tommy could trap a ball with his fist touch (most players today need two!) and he really could turn on 6d coin. Aye the American soccer League lost a great player the day he returned to Scotland.

I can still remember Queens signing Tommy O'Hara from Washington Diplomats. I was very excited to be signing a player who used to play for Celtic and had made it big in the United States. He was an exciting player on the ball, even when he moved to left back. For me it was a great time to be a Queens supporter with so many great players like Allan Ball, Iain McChesney, John Dempster, Jimmy Donald and the great Peter Dickson. There were many more players of that era who were really special to me, but Tommy could trap a ball with his fist touch (most players today need two!) and he really could turn on 6d coin. Aye the American soccer League lost a great player the day he returned to Scotland.

Did he not go to America after Queens?

No, he came from the Diplomats, I remember it like yesterday. He may have went back after his time with Queens though.

Qos signed him from Celtic. He went to Washington from us.

The announcement of his death on the QOS site confirms this.

http://www.qosfc.com/news-3078

He might have played for us after he returned though i don`t think he did.

Christian Nade has just been released from Hamilton.He could do a good job for us something different than we have now

Each to their own, but not for me. Let's face it, he is more or less finished at this level. We took a similar punt with Heffernan which didn't work out.

We should be giving more game time to the likes of Smith, rather than pissing a salary against the wall on a last hurrah for Nade.

Each to their own, but not for me. Let's face it, he is more or less finished at this level. We took a similar punt with Heffernan which didn't work out.

We should be giving more game time to the likes of Smith, rather than pissing a salary against the wall on a last hurrah for Nade.

I haven't seen Nade this season but he was fairly decent at Dundee and Raith recently. Heffernan had a several years of absolutely nothing. I don't think he's a great signing because he doesn't score quite simply. Whether holding the ball up is enough when the rest of the team isn't particularly quick to begin or plays very wide to make a target man useful is a with is another story.