The Queen of the South thread

Really pleased with those signings. Hopefully they remain fit this year as I reckon we'd have been a bit better to watch if it was the case this year.

Surely players signing for next season indicates they have an idea who the new manager will be? Or I'm maybe just overthinking it. But for me, I couldn't sign for a club if I didn't know who the new man was going to be. It's a big risk. The new gaffer may not like a player's style of play and he sits on the bench for a year. As I say, I'm probably overthinking it but I'm surprised (though happy!) players are signing for us without officially knowing who our gaffer is going to be.

Very decent news.

Would be great to see Del move from his current 95 goals to 100.

Ideally this Sunday :lol:

Hopefully a good chance to edge ever closer to the 114 of Andy Thomson's total. Would be great if Lyle could score 20 goals between Sunday at Easter Road and next season and beyond. Should be a good target to go for.

With the League Cup in sections in July, Lyle could well have a good go at this target.

Edited by RUSTY1111

Really pleased with those signings. Hopefully they remain fit this year as I reckon we'd have been a bit better to watch if it was the case this year.

Surely players signing for next season indicates they have an idea who the new manager will be? Or I'm maybe just overthinking it. But for me, I couldn't sign for a club if I didn't know who the new man was going to be. It's a big risk. The new gaffer may not like a player's style of play and he sits on the bench for a year. As I say, I'm probably overthinking it but I'm surprised (though happy!) players are signing for us without officially knowing who our gaffer is going to be.

Is it not just that players (particularly ones who've had injury ravaged seasons) are really in no position to hold out for something else? Much bigger clubs than ours are unlikely to be interested and there aren't many full-time sides at around or below our level.

Players are not in the driving seat where these things are concerned and I'd imagine they're simply relieved to have been offered work at this early stage.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Guest Flash

Is it not just that players (particularly ones who've had injury ravaged seasons) are really in no position to hold out for something else? Much bigger clubs than ours are unlikely to be interested and there aren't many full-time sides at around or below our level.

Players are not in the driving seat where these things are concerned and I'd imagine they're simply relieved to have been offered work at this early stage.

The other way of looking at it is to ask who is offering the contracts? Say Skelton thinks these players should be signed. What happens if the new guy wouldn't have signed them?

The other way of looking at it is to ask who is offering the contracts? Say Skelton thinks these players should be signed. What happens if the new guy wouldn't have signed them?

We've had this situation before, haven't we?

Was someone not offered a contract, but then had the offer withdrawn when the new guy took over?

No manager takes over with a completely blank canvas to work with, they are always taking on someone else's players to begin with.

I can't see any manager quibbling about those three being on the books. If they are then they probably aren't going to be very suitable for the job.

We've had this situation before, haven't we?Was someone not offered a contract, but then had the offer withdrawn when the new guy took over?

I think McShane was released by AJ but asked to attend pre season by Jim McIntyre and was then given a deal. Not sure if we have had it the other way around.

Guest Flash

No manager takes over with a completely blank canvas to work with, they are always taking on someone else's players to begin with.

I can't see any manager quibbling about those three being on the books. If they are then they probably aren't going to be very suitable for the job.

True. But normally the "someone else" would be the previous manager.

Why would a caretaker manager be in the position to offer contracts?

I know what you mean but I'm sure Hilson, (not so sure about Tapping) may well have interested other clubs.

Really pleased those three have signed again but isn't it the job of the manager to sign players and not the club or do they know something we don't ...?

I'm sure the board have negotiated their contracts and those players aren't so bothered who the new management team will be.

I know what you mean but I'm sure Hilson, (not so sure about Tapping) may well have interested other clubs.

Based on what exactly? Hilson has missed a large chunk of the season and hardly been a prolific goalscorer so far. I like Hilson btw but don't think clubs would've been fighting for his signature on the back of this season.

The fact is though that we were able to get Hilson last summer.

It's not his fault, but surely the season he's had hasn't done anything to further enhance his standing since then?

The fact is though that we were able to get Hilson last summer. It's not his fault, but surely the season he's had hasn't done anything to further enhance his standing since then?

Also a fact that we were more highly regarded this time last year i.e. our standing will have fallen since then.

Lyle, publicly, stated that he did have other offers.

Im struggling to see how anyone could view these 3 signing as anything but positive

Lyle, publicly, stated that he did have other offers.

Im struggling to see how anyone could view these 3 signing as anything but positive

I`m very positive about them but it`s not an unreasonbale view for some to be unsure about resigning 2 players who have been injury prone in their time with us plus a 35 year old striker.