The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, JessieField said:

Two of them are just on loan to the end of the season remember.

Yes, I appreciate that. I'm not entirely sure of the payment procedure for loanees, presumably they are costing the Club money to be here. Can we afford to pay a fee and wages for another midfielder when other positions need to be filled. Also there may be the prospect, hopefully, of one or two of the injured midfielders, thinking of Hilson and Pickard, coming back tho I'mnot sure of what stage their recovery is at. We also have Bell who has had a couple of appearances. 

Lyle has had a bit of a strange career. He went from being your reputedly at the time, 5th choice striker to (With no disrespect intended) a bigger club in ourselves. Became the main man at our club, then signed for our title rivals in Hamilton on a PCA, flopped at them then came back to you after a few short stints at Morton and Cowden, where until Dobbie came back, was the main guy.

Pace was never his game but he was also never a striker I felt would still be invaluable at this level at the age he is now.

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Lyle has had a bit of a strange career. He went from being your reputedly at the time, 5th choice striker to (With no disrespect intended) a bigger club in ourselves. Became the main man at our club, then signed for our title rivals in Hamilton on a PCA, flopped at them then came back to you after a few short stints at Morton and Cowden, where until Dobbie came back, was the main guy.

Pace was never his game but he was also never a striker I felt would still be invaluable at this level at the age he is now.

Largely true.

At the latest time he joined us, I think plenty fans envisaged him as something of a bit part player, especially when Baird came on board.  

He has however been really important and probably at his best, in this spell.

9 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I completely agree, if you were going to pick someone who'd still be playing at this level at the age of 35 I doubt many would have picked Lyle. He's done amazingly well. The transition from the 21 year old who first came on loan to us - quick and skillfull - to the guy we have now - a stronger target-man - is striking. For longevity, goals and the fact that he's won more than anybody else at Queens you can't really argue with his position in our hall of fame.

When Lyle joined the last time from Cowden. I had a gut feeling it could be a good signing. Don't know why because reason would dictate that it could have been otherwise.

I thought he might play further back, reading the game and using his experience to help the younger guys.

He has exceeded all expectations, been superb. I will be a bit sad when he eventually has to pack it in.