The Queen of the South thread

10 minutes ago, NM_1919 said:

Be down to who will pay his wages, St. Mirren obviously covering a fair whack of his.

St Mirren can offer money but they'll be limited by the very real possibility of relegation in that they won't be able to offer anything other than deals until the end of the season. Partly because no decent experienced Championship player will want to go down to League One and get a wage cut as a result of relegation, partly because St Mirren would be going full Livingston and lose a lot of money. Which is probably the main reason Rankin chose us instead of St Mirren as most senior players at this level probably value a somewhat stable income more than a quick buck.

They'll be better equipped for the loan market, although Loy (playing devils advocate) hasn't really played well for a struggling side, looking at his soccerbase he has only been on the winning side of one Premiership game this season and played on good Falkirk sides at this level, he might not be a surefire saviour as some may think. They also have to take a few punts on out of contract players or foreign players which can go either in the Michael Chopra at Alloa the season they just stayed up or Garry O'Connor and Nacho Novo at Morton badly.

Anyone reckon Mercer will slot straight into the team for Saturday? Left back Marshall and either Hamill or Mercer at right back? Dowie and Brownlie centre backs.

How will we work the midfield as well? Jacobs and Rankin in the middle with Carmichael and Dom Thomas out wide. Dobbie and Lyle up top.

That leaves players like Thomson dykes Anderson Higgins out. Bit of a headache too many options almost.

Hoping Naismith gets the points.

23 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Anyone reckon Mercer will slot straight into the team for Saturday? Left back Marshall and either Hamill or Mercer at right back? Dowie and Brownlie centre backs.

How will we work the midfield as well? Jacobs and Rankin in the middle with Carmichael and Dom Thomas out wide. Dobbie and Lyle up top.

That leaves players like Thomson dykes Anderson Higgins out. Bit of a headache too many options almost.

Hoping Naismith gets the points.

If everyone is fit I`ll be amazed if the team shows any changes from a 3-0 victory last weekend. Joe Thomson was excellent last week. Your starting 11 leaves him out. Can`t see that happening.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Yep but I`d think Dundee United away is exactly the sort of game where Jacobs will play. As I say i don`t envisage any changes. That`s not to say there won`t be any of course.

With us playing utd would you chuck mercer straight in or keep the experienced Hamill on the pitch

Has Grant Anderson left you guys? 
We're apparently signing a winger today and his name has been thrown out there but I don't see confirmation of him leaving.

Don't know about leaving but his starting place on the team sheet has in recent weeks been a doubt. He fighting Dom Thomas, Dan Carmichael and to a lesser extent Brotherston and lyndon dykes for the place.

I suspect that team will be same as last week but I hope he goes with a partner for Dobbie up top. I think he will keep the 3 central midfielders but to accommodate Lyle or say Dykes Danny is the most likely to drop out.

Of course it is a very tough assignment but I hope we don't try and soak up wave after wave of attack. We have a fair bit of quality in final third but this only becomes an asset if we set up positively and go for the win. If a win becomes a draw then still a good result.

What do others feel about giving Rankin the captaincy on his debut?
Understandable given his experience and position. Another kick in the baws for Higgins though.

Am not too fussed either way. Don't get me wrong bit of a kick in the teeth for higgins. But he has probably been told behind closed doors.

Change of captaincy has probably freshened up the squad in some way. People know where they stand.

20 minutes ago, ThomCat said:

Understandable given his experience and position. Another kick in the baws for Higgins though.

As I said in the match thread, Higgins can't captain from the bench.

This is an absolute non-issue.

1 hour ago, ThomCat said:

Great move the manager is starting to put his stamp on HIS team.

Now we have missed out on Loy I was thinking of potential strikers we could get. Denny Johnstone who has mostly been a sub for Colchester and Gav Reilly to me stand out as good candidates.

On this I don't think we need a striker but that's just my opinion I think it would be waste of cash considering our available options. But let's say we go for one. Only player I would go for is too bring gav Reilly back. Proven striker at the club and in the division and as far as I know left on good terms

TBH I think the squad looks pretty decent as it is and with just the one cup left in contention we should have enough depth for the remainder of season. With regards to strikers - Naysmith was talking of developing Dykes into more of a striker.

News from site - "Our game at Cappielow, against Morton, on the 11th March has been chosen for live coverage on BBC ALBA. As a result the kick off has been moved to 5.15pm"