The Queen of the South thread

21 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Cheers, thats good to know.

You're probably not the only club to broadcast from Palmerston using their own mobile data connection - even that probably wasnt feasible only a couple of years ago. Im assuming you have something more permanent for home games though?

We have fibre at EEP. 

Why on earth would you get a cut? The game gets shown to overseas customers, so ergo you lose absolutely no gate receipts, it's already been established that there isn't an Internet connection so it's not like the other teams are using those facilities?

Can't get my head around at all how you'd justify giving the home team a fee.

2 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Why on earth would you get a cut? The game gets shown to overseas customers, so ergo you lose absolutely no gate receipts, it's already been established that there isn't an Internet connection so it's not like the other teams are using those facilities?

Can't get my head around at all how you'd justify giving the home team a fee.

It's supposed to be for overseas customers but you obviously don't know that there are ways that if you live in the U.K. you can watch the games.

10 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I'm quite aware of that, and I still can't fathom why you think you'd be entitled to a cut.

His point is that every away fan who would otherwise have gone to the game but chooses not to since they can pay for tv coverage from the away team is taking income from the home team and giving it to the away one instead. Now I accept that may not be very many people and you may not care but it's not a difficult thing to "fathom" is it?

It's particularly irritating when certain club's media teams sometimes post on here and other websites encouraging people to use proxy servers to do so.

I've genuinely never seen any team, ever. Post about charging teams for the use of media, where does it stop? Not letting the official website post updates? After all what if a fan would rather sit in the house and refresh his phone? The again what about the bloke giving updates to SSN etc, what if a fan would rather sit in the pub and watch Jeff Stelling with a coupon?

I can't fathom it because it's an absolutely mental proposal.

If this was to come to pass I'd hope we'd start charging said team a fee for any match reports, highlights and just to make sure, any mention of the match in say a programme at there next home game, because after all, what if fans would rather read a match report later than go to the game?

Better start charging away fans to bring in there phones incase they periscope or Facebook live it, just in case.

Get that idea along with the other batshit mental ones straight in the bin.

I've genuinely never seen any team, ever. Post about charging teams for the use of media, where does it stop? Not letting the official website post updates? After all what if a fan would rather sit in the house and refresh his phone? The again what about the bloke giving updates to SSN etc, what if a fan would rather sit in the pub and watch Jeff Stelling with a coupon?

If this was to come to pass I'd hope we'd start charging said team a fee for any match reports, highlights and just to make sure, any mention of the match in say a programme at there next home game, because after all, what if fans would rather read a match report later than go to the game?

Better start charging away fans to bring in there phones incase they periscope or Facebook live it, just in case.

Or you could file it along with other ideas like TV and radio companies paying for the right to broadcast games.

I don't think charging away teams is the right thing to do but if the games were ever allowed to be broadcast in the UK some kind of revenue sharing would seem fair.

Does palmerston Park  have free WiFi for fans?

I think there's free WiFi in the Arena but I don't think it covers the ground.

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Er, I think you might just have lost the plot a little here Grant. Nobody's discussing the written word. We're talking about visuals. Mr X seems to sum it up perfectly well below. I'm not incidentally advocating charging away teams to broadcast, certainly not while it is ostensibly a service for overseas viewing. I'm merely taking issue with your stubborn refusal to even acknowledge the point.

42 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Or you could file it along with other ideas like TV and radio companies paying for the right to broadcast games.

I don't think charging away teams is the right thing to do but if the games were ever allowed to be broadcast in the UK some kind of revenue sharing would seem fair.

30 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Yes the arena does have free WiFi but It was the stadium I was asking about I don't think the stadium has....

It doesn't. There's a media wifi in the Main Stand which media reps are given the password for but no public one. And the media one only reaches the area immediately around the press box I think. It doesn't even reach the other end of the stand, never mind any other part of the ground.

And we don't get a cut? We need to cash in if it's feasible.

That's what I'm taking issue with, in it's present format I still don't see how, or why you'd charge opposing teams to use it, no one else does, and while it is plausible that people can use a VPN the effect on attendances would be non existent.

If, and it's a big if, it was opened up to UK viewers I could see why you would but it isn't so it's a totally mute point.

In it's present format I don't see how you could begin to justify charging opposing teams for it.

Indeed, I can't even fathom it ;)

5 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

If, and it's a big if, it was opened up to UK viewers I could see why you would but it isn't so it's a totally mute point.

Indeed, I can't even fathom it ;)

No, live audio streaming is a mute point