The Queen of the South thread

14 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You got told a lot of complete and utter rubbish then. The club and in particular me personally and Eddie Warwick put a hell of a lot of time and effort into attempting to get Jack Devlin and James Martin registered. There was no hearing and there is no processing fee. We did however go through a seven or eight month process of applications and an appeal (for James, Jack gave up before an appeal, partly for family reasons) before FIFA effectively came back and said they wouldnt allow u18s to move country to a club outside the top tier.

Honest to God if you seriously think we would have let it lapse over some imaginary non existent £100 fee your head is buttoned up the back. I would have paid it myself if such a thing existed and it had been all it took.

Both boys were offered contracts for when they turned 18 and FIFA could no longer block it but Jack had family reasons why he needed to stay local and James got a better offer from Hartlepool after initially agreeing to return which we couldnt do anything about as he was never registered to us.

That must be incredibly frustrating r.e James. All that effort made then he gets a slighty better offer and it all counts for nothing. That's some footballers for you though only thinking of themselves.

22 minutes ago, football maniac said:

That must be incredibly frustrating r.e James. All that effort made then he gets a slighty better offer and it all counts for nothing. That's some footballers for you though only thinking of themselves.

To be fair, there might well have been an agent involved or he might have been offered a significantly better and more lucrative/longer contract than the one Queens put on the table plus Hartlepool is probably closer to where he/his family lives. Frustrating indeed though, especially for those who have worked hard to keep him at Palmerston. (Coaches and Admin) 

Edited by KingfaetheSooth

14 hours ago, QoS_1919 said:

Did I say I believed it? I don't know much about what goes on with that sort of stuff so I asked on here. If I knew someone was going to take it so personally then I wouldn't have bothered.

QOS 1919 said "Typical from our board" which both implied you did believe it and also made it a little bit personal. Cant blame SD for taking you down.

4 hours ago, football maniac said:

It was incredibly frustrating but my frustration is all aimed at FIFA and their ridiculous ruling. I have no problem with James who was (and is) a smashing lad and I'm still in touch with him. He got the chance to sign for a League club near his home and took it. He had a completely frustrating year with us himself able to play only three trialist games officially (and a few closed door trial games) over 12 months while living, training, working and studying alongside the rest of the group who were able to play. It's no surprise when an offer in England came up he took it. I really hope he makes it in the game. He has every chance. I've no doubt he would have been pushing for first team with us now if he was still here.

4 hours ago, louisxiv said:

"spent a couple of years with Queen of the South" apparently! He joined us in June 2015 and departed again in December 2015.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Jake Pickard played for Saints in the under-20s today. Am I right in thinking he's not anything special?

I certainly wasn't overly concerned when we let him go.   He's not a horrible player but doesn't seem to excel in any particular position.

Jake Pickard played for Saints in the under-20s today. Am I right in thinking he's not anything special?

No manager has got the best from him yet. He's never going to be a standout player but I reckon there's a reliable player in there somewhere.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

James Fowler must genuinely think he's the second coming of Claude Makelele if he is helping to bring him to St Mirren. I think the pressure of managing at Queens might have caused him to lose his damn mind.

46 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

No manager has got the best from him yet. He's never going to be a standout player but I reckon there's a reliable player in there somewhere.

Someone else told me something similar. Problem is our situation is the hardly the ideal scenario for that to happen.

7 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

James Fowler must genuinely think he's the second coming of Claude Makelele if he is helping to bring him to St Mirren. I think the pressure of managing at Queens might have caused him to lose his damn mind.

I keep forgetting we have Fowler, that'll explain why we have him on trial - although surely he knows what he can do? For some reason as soon as I knew Pickard had been released I had a feeling he'd end up with us!

I keep forgetting we have Fowler, that'll explain why we have him on trial - although surely he knows what he can do? For some reason as soon as I knew Pickard had been released I had a feeling he'd end up with us!

In response to your reply to me: I would tend to agree that it's not an ideal situation for him to come into. He's not a player that's going to become a fans favourite quickly (some would argue at all) and throwing him onto a sinking ship surely wont do anyone any favours. The flip side is that your management have already thrown in the towel and are preparing for life in the league below. A season in the seaside league will do Pickard a world of good IMO and even better if it's with a winning side (which if St Mirren go down they will surely bounce back up). It could be exactly what the boy needs.

My biggest worry for you is if Fowler has advised Ross to play Jake anywhere near up front. I was always one to defend the guy but on that there is no defence. He shouldn't be anywhere near the front line.

I'll certainly keep an eye on his progress should he end up at Saints.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

In response to your reply to me: I would tend to agree that it's not an ideal situation for him to come into. He's not a player that's going to become a fans favourite quickly (some would argue at all) and throwing him onto a sinking ship surely wont do anyone any favours. The flip side is that your management have already thrown in the towel and are preparing for life in the league below. A season in the seaside league will do Pickard a world of good IMO and even better if it's with a winning side (which if St Mirren go down they will surely bounce back up). It could be exactly what the boy needs.

My biggest worry for you is if Fowler has advised Ross to play Jake anywhere near up front. I was always one to defend the guy but on that there is no defence. He shouldn't be anywhere near the front line.

I'll certainly keep an eye on his progress should he end up at Saints.

:blink: Unless you're suggesting signing Pickard would be a statement that they'd chucked it.

It's surely just a case of Fowler offering an ex-colleague training facilities and a shop window for Pickard to try and win himself a move somewhere.  I'd be astounded if St Mirren, or any club at this level, signed him.

Only probably Gary Locke is batshit crazy enough to do it, but Pickard has no connection to Hearts so it seems unlikely.

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

It's surely just a case of Fowler offering an ex-colleague training facilities and a shop window for Pickard to try and win himself a move somewhere.  I'd be astounded if St Mirren, or any club at this level, signed him.

Only probably Gary Locke is batshit crazy enough to do it, but Pickard has no connection to Hearts so it seems unlikely.

Long way to travel for only training facilities!