The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The problem with that is it's counter productive to people actually attending the game. Especially where they are paying the away club for coverage but it's the home club's gate that suffers.

The home club should only be allowed to show games. 

Interesting debate.

As you say those problems are not insurmountable but is the demand there?

One obvious point is that Scotland based fans of the four clubs who are doing live broadcasts can easily watch the games online already by using a vpn. (It makes you think they're abroad when they're not.) this is a very simple tool that I'm sure most expats use already to watch uk based content. these broadcasts don't seem to have affected their club's attendances.

Purely from the fact that there are many exiled doonhamers around the world, (and down the road,) I think the demand could be high? Even central belt fans that don't get down to palmy as much as they would like.

I have a season ticket but I would also happily pay to watch the games I don't attend online. [emoji3]

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You could argue that, and you'd be right of course but there's no telling how many people just wouldn't bother going who do currently if you had the option of paying for live coverage.

No, neither side of the argument has any actual facts to back up their position.

Personally, I would take the risk, or at least try it for a few months. Of course, its academic as the rules dont allow for anything other than non-UK broadcasts.

13 minutes ago, BIGdavieT said:

Interesting debate.

As you say those problems are not insurmountable but is the demand there?

One obvious point is that Scotland based fans of the four clubs who are doing live broadcasts can easily watch the games online already by using a vpn. (It makes you think they're abroad when they're not.) this is a very simple tool that I'm sure most expats use already to watch uk based content. these broadcasts don't seem to have affected their club's attendances.

Purely from the fact that there are many exiled doonhamers around the world, (and down the road,) I think the demand could be high? Even central belt fans that don't get down to palmy as much as they would like.

I have a season ticket but I would also happily pay to watch the games I don't attend online. emoji3.png

To be honest, the demand question is probably the least of the issues. Im not convinced theres a huge market but the costs of providing the service are relatively low anyway. It might be a bit pedantic but I dont think you could really base any business plan for it on UK residents using VPNs. Firstly, I think the number is pretty small and secondly you've no idea what the SPFL will do in the future in terms of asking clubs to crack down on their use. 

I think its something that will happen one day its just at the moment theres no real drive for it from either inside or outside the club.

To be honest, the demand question is probably the least of the issues. Im not convinced theres a huge market but the costs of providing the service are relatively low anyway. It might be a bit pedantic but I dont think you could really base any business plan for it on UK residents using VPNs. Firstly, I think the number is pretty small and secondly you've no idea what the SPFL will do in the future in terms of asking clubs to crack down on their use. 
I think its something that will happen one day its just at the moment theres no real drive for it from either inside or outside the club.

Yeah my point re VPNs was that raith fans, for example, could stop going and watch through a vpn if they wished. I presume this isn't happening much at the four clubs in question. Certainly not to a point that they are considering stopping the service. I wonder if there are numbers available to How many subscribers these clubs have?

9 minutes ago, BIGdavieT said:

Yeah my point re VPNs was that raith fans, for example, could stop going and watch through a vpn if they wished. I presume this isn't happening much at the four clubs in question. Certainly not to a point that they are considering stopping the service. I wonder if there are numbers available to How many subscribers these clubs have?

I think the discussion about fans staying away was more about clubs being allowed to broadcast openly to UK subscribers. As I said, I doubt the use of VPNS is that high - most fans wont even know what one is!

Im sure the clubs in question will have subscriber numbers. I guess most would consider it "commercially sensitive" information and not make it public.

Certainly if we were to ever do it getting an idea of subscriber numbers and technical help from other clubs would be one of the first things to do. There was a meeting between the various club "TV stations", both those that broadcast live and highlights, a few weeks ago. I dont think anyone from Queens attended but there seems to be a desire amongst the clubs to work together, which is good

1 minute ago, Trump said:

This may have been answered in previous pages but as I am too lazy to check, how has Rankin been getting on for you lot since he came in?

Good. Immediately installed as captain, he set up Stephen Dobbie's opener in our 3-0 win at St Mirren on his debut. He also had a very good game at Dundee United last weekend, winning possession on the way to our second goal and having a couple of good efforts himself. Quieter yesterday as Stuart Carswell played him well but got more involved later in the game after Carswell went off. Appears to be a really good captain, talking his way through games.

Good. Immediately installed as captain, he set up Stephen Dobbie's opener in our 3-0 win at St Mirren on his debut. He also had a very good game at Dundee United last weekend, winning possession on the way to our second goal and having a couple of good efforts himself. Quieter yesterday as Stuart Carswell played him well but got more involved later in the game after Carswell went off. Appears to be a really good captain, talking his way through games.

Good to see he's doing well, just didn't fit into our team.

Noticed a couple of lower league players getting good reviews yesterday Jordan Mcmillan (defender) Clyde & Dylan Bikey (striker) Stirling Albion sure both are well capable of playing at a higher level in Scottish football are they worth enquiring about before the window closes? Or has the manager got his eye on a couple of others that will boost the team/squad.

Noticed a couple of lower league players getting good reviews yesterday Jordan Mcmillan (defender) Clyde & Dylan Bikey (striker) Stirling Albion sure both are well capable of playing at a higher level in Scottish football are they worth enquiring about before the window closes? Or has the manager got his eye on a couple of others that will boost the team/squad.

It's not like Jordan McMillan is an unknown to us, given that he's played for us before, and has been at a few of our games this season as he's a friend of Derek Lyle. He only signed for Clyde during the week after returning from his drug ban, so he'll be there until the end of the season.

And much bigger clubs than us have shown an interest in Bikey, so I'd expect there is no chance there. Dave McKay doesn't expect him to play for Stirling again.

5 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

It's not like Jordan McMillan is an unknown to us, given that he's played for us before, and has been at a few of our games this season as he's a friend of Derek Lyle. He only signed for Clyde during the week after returning from his drug ban, so he'll be there until the end of the season.

And much bigger clubs than us have shown an interest in Bikey, so I'd expect there is no chance there. Dave McKay doesn't expect him to play for Stirling again.

Ferguson was quoted saying he wouldn't stand in Mcmillans way if a full time club came in for him as he reckons he should be playing at a much higher level, getting game time (fitness) at Clyde, so he won't necessarily be there till end of season.

Bikey yes looks like Dundee United may sign him up just noticed he trains with them and his French club havr a money clause.

Mr X/SD would you be interested in a list of expat fans who would be willing to pay for such a service? I could try and draw one up then we know once and for all what the demand potentially is. There's one name on it already [emoji23]

I'm a big fan of John Rankin.

As has been said before; he seems to "take care of himself" and looks easily capable physically.

But the best thing about him is the little things; he's a great talker/shouter, tidies things up nicely in midfield. Mom contender for me at Tannadice.

But the players need to start listening to him more towards the end of games lol

Mr X/SD would you be interested in a list of expat fans who would be willing to pay for such a service? I could try and draw one up then we know once and for all what the demand potentially is. There's one name on it already [emoji23]

Would this be watching live games? If so then I'd be a no I'm afraid. The time difference just makes it impossible (at least for me) to watch live games. And highlights are already available online for free.

18 hours ago, Mr X said:

Im not sure if any other clubs have managed to broadcast from Palmerston

ParsTV streamed from Palmerston on our last visit, in December. It was my first time there so I couldn't tell you if we've streamed from QoS before but AFAIK our stream went pretty good that day and was reasonably reliable. We used our own EE Dongle to give us a connection and it seemed to work fine. I'm positive @Grant228 watches the stream on ParsTV so he can maybe give a better opinion on the quality of the output of that day if he was watching. 

Edited by dafcburty

Sadly not Burty, I was actually at the game for once, was back up to see family over the Christmas period.

I don't remember any complaints about it after though so it must've went well, ParsTv by and large has been very good this year.

7 minutes ago, dafcburty said:

ParsTV streamed from Palmerston on our last visit, in December. It was my first time there so I couldn't tell you if we've streamed from QoS before but AFAIK our stream went pretty good that day and was reasonably reliable. We used our own EE Dongle to give us a connection and it seemed to work fine. I'm positive @Grant228 watches the stream on ParsTV so he can maybe give a better opinion on the quality of the oupout of that day if he was watching. 

Cheers, thats good to know.

You're probably not the only club to broadcast from Palmerston using their own mobile data connection - even that probably wasnt feasible only a couple of years ago. Im assuming you have something more permanent for home games though?