The Queen of the South thread

22 minutes ago, JessieField said:

Doesn't matter the size of the Company, the Directors have the same legal responsibilities as a giant Company.

I don't get what your concerns are. If it's confidential information then whoever is appointed will have to sign agreements not to divulge the contents.

27 minutes ago, JessieField said:

The decision will rest with the shareholders.

Indeed. Which is why it probably won't happen. The directors will be able to call upon the support of the largest shareholders, I suspect. So you are most probably knicker wetting about nothing.

24 minutes ago, JessieField said:

Doesn't matter the size of the Company, the Directors have the same legal responsibilities as a giant Company.

I'm sure if there are any legal issues the relevant parties will seek your advice.

15 minutes ago, Flash said:

Indeed. Which is why it probably won't happen. The directors will be able to call upon the support of the largest shareholders, I suspect. So you are most probably knicker wetting about nothing.

I'm sure if there are any legal issues the relevant parties will seek your advice.

I note you resort to petty comments when you can't agree with a straightforward point of view. It's up to the Trust to explain and sway the shareholders as to why their proposal would be of benefit to the Company. I don't think they've put forward a strong enough argument yet.

16 minutes ago, JessieField said:

I note you resort to petty comments when you can't agree with a straightforward point of view. It's up to the Trust to explain and sway the shareholders as to why their proposal would be of benefit to the Company. I don't think they've put forward a strong enough argument yet.

I understand the issues, you don't need to explain them to me. Thanks. 

And the trust doesn't need to convince all the shareholders. If there are 1,000 shareholders, but the majority of the shares are held by 5 people, the 5 people can defeat the proposal by voting together. Or the 5 could approve it without having to convince the other 995 about anything. So, if the 5 (or however many it is in this case) side with the directors, you have nothing to worry about whatever way the case is presented.

Edited by Flash

21 minutes ago, Flash said:

I understand the issues, you don't need to explain them to me. Thanks. 

And the trust doesn't need to convince all the shareholders. If there are 1,000 shareholders, but the majority of the shares are held by 5 people, the 5 people can defeat the proposal by voting together. Or the 5 could approve it without having to convince the other 995 about anything. So, if the 5 (or however many it is in this case) side with the directors, you have nothing to worry about whatever way the case is presented.

I'm glad you understand the issues. Some people may not which is why we're having a debate. You are, of course, correct about the mathematics of the share distribution. I recall a night when that "uneven" share distribution saved the Club from a backdoor takeover.

14 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Genuine question:

What is the stated rationale behind the board's resistance to accepting a supporters' representative onto the board?

I'm sure someone could post the exact wording but the gist was they didn't think fan representation would be helpful in the running of the club, sorry company.

I'll feeling or not, what's the problem with some supporter representation. It's not that long ago bucket collections were everywhere to keep us going. There is a lot of great work going on among various supporters groups.

1 minute ago, palmy_cammy said:

And a place on the board will allow them to do more of this great work? Or do it better? If not what's the point?

I said in an earlier post on this that such an appointment might involve a degree of tokenism.  I wouldn't imagine that someone in such a position would wield immense power, but it sends out a positive signal about fans being part of the club, with a say (even to a limited extent) in its direction.  

To be honest, I think that the onus is on the club to explain its objections, given that this kind of representation is recognised as a goal of the Trust movement.  That's even before we consider the very positive noises the board has made on such matters in the past.

There's a contradiction in saying that such a move will make no difference; yet wishing to strongly fight it.

I could understand the movement if we had Claude Anelka or Vladimir Romanov running the club. As it stands though our board is made up of successful local businessmen, who are also Queens fans. It's hard to think of a better combination. Personally speaking I place far more importance on the former attribute than the latter but I understand why both are important to people.

I know this isn't the fault of the supporters groups, but the response their motion has caused doesn't suggest a very successful working relationship could be formed.

As I said, it seems to me to have caused a lot of negativity without any real obvious positive outcomes.

9 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I could understand the movement if we had Claude Anelka or Vladimir Romanov running the club. As it stands though our board is made up of successful local businessmen, who are also Queens fans. It's hard to think of a better combination. Personally speaking I place far more importance on the former attribute than the latter but I understand why both are important to people.

I know this isn't the fault of the supporters groups, but the response their motion has caused doesn't suggest a very successful working relationship could be formed.

As I said, it seems to me to have caused a lot of negativity without any real obvious positive outcomes.

I wonder if the charge of creating negativity, might be better directed at those saying no.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I said in an earlier post on this that such an appointment might involve a degree of tokenism.  I wouldn't imagine that someone in such a position would wield immense power, but it sends out a positive signal about fans being part of the club, with a say (even to a limited extent) in its direction.  

To be honest, I think that the onus is on the club to explain its objections, given that this kind of representation is recognised as a goal of the Trust movement.  That's even before we consider the very positive noises the board has made on such matters in the past.

There's a contradiction in saying that such a move will make no difference; yet wishing to strongly fight it.

As do I

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

I suspect this is the problem. We already have Queens fans on the board, and they feel special because they are putting in money and running the club. Why would they want some shitmuncher with a three figure bank balance, some sellotape and a handful of match posters sharing the glory...

Edited by Margaret Thatcher

6 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

This is exactly what I'm on about. I don't recall any mention of this supposed "us and them" mentality until the Trust started this futile exercise.

I fear there is a real chance it will have done more harm than good.

Aye but if you extend that logic, cammy, no-one should ever try to do anything in case someone else tells them "no". The onus is on the people saying "no" to trust their supporters and explain why.

Also, the Trust started this many years ago, and I am not sure there was any "us and them" mentality then. Things definitely got frayed around the time of the Skelton departure, with feelings among many fans that favoritism was rife and the BoD were not communicating honestly with the fans. The appointment of someone already known to the BoD as an internal "supporters liaison officer" did little to allay those feelings. Perhaps the Trust does have to shoulder some blame, I am sure you have valid reasons for seeing it that way, but not the majority of the blame in my view.

Edited by Margaret Thatcher