The Queen of the South thread

15 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Would we have had the same number as St Johnstone in the draw?

A tie against Celtic had we been. Typical.

My memory has went blank. When was it we got beat and there was talk that the next round game would have been against Celtic? I'm sure it was a Scottish Cup game. It was pointed out then that it wouldn't have worked out like that. Not sure about this one though. 

I didn't used to mind our surface. I just feel it's not as good as it first was. That's why I was questioning how it's deteriorated be it over-use or poor maintenance.

It’s worked on for 2-3 hours every single day to remove all the seagull mess during the spring & summer months.
That can’t be doing it many favours.

IMO all plastic pitches need banned.

My memory has went blank. When was it we got beat and there was talk that the next round game would have been against Celtic? I'm sure it was a Scottish Cup game. It was pointed out then that it wouldn't have worked out like that. Not sure about this one though. 
Years ago we got beaten by Alloa 1-0 and they went on to face Celtic. Two seasons ago had we beaten Albion we would definitely have faced Celtic as the draw had been made.

There's something in my head telling me there was another occasion where the opposition who beat us faced Celtic in the next round but I'm possibly remembering wrong! That could be the one that's escaped your memory as well as I can remember it being pointed out we'd have had a different number. It could well be the Alloa occasion I'm thinking of though.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I produced those kind of stats at the end of last season emoji38.png

I'm not saying it's an excuse either. I just don't like our pitch whether we win or not. It serves a purpose for a club our size but it's nowhere near as good a surface as our grass pitch was.

Personally I am unconvinced there is much wrong with it, and the myth that our grass pitch was perfect and not a muddy glaur at times is nonsense too. However, IF there is something amiss with it then that should if anything favour us, not excuse poor home form. If its not perfect then we have far more opportunity to get used to it than any other team does.

I cant really explain last year's relative home / away form but I doubt its particularly related to the surfaces. Its a bit early to write off this year. We had two good wins against lower division sides in the Betfred, took a Premier side to extra time and were edged out by Dundee Utd.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

Years ago we got beaten by Alloa 1-0 and they went on to face Celtic. Two seasons ago had we beaten Albion we would definitely have faced Celtic as the draw had been made.

There's something in my head telling me there was another occasion where the opposition who beat us faced Celtic in the next round but I'm possibly remembering wrong! That could be the one that's escaped your memory as well as I can remember it being pointed out we'd have had a different number. It could well be the Alloa occasion I'm thinking of though.

Just last season Thistle got Celtic after knocking us out but we would have been a different number. If we had won Peterhead would have got Celtic.

Away to Albion Rovers 2 season’s ago. The draw had already been made so we knew we would have faced Celtic in the next round.

After trailing 1-0 we scored to make it 1-1........Surely we could have held on to take them back to Palmy for a replay!!!!!

Horrible, horrible game!!![emoji35]

Just last season Thistle got Celtic after knocking us out but we would have been a different number. If we had won Peterhead would have got Celtic.
That'll be the one I'm also thinking of (and I'd assume the same one QoS_1919 is).

41 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

That'll be the one I'm also thinking of (and I'd assume the same one QoS_1919 is).

1 hour ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

Away to Albion Rovers 2 season’s ago. The draw had already been made so we knew we would have faced Celtic in the next round.

After trailing 1-0 we scored to make it 1-1........Surely we could have held on to take them back to Palmy for a replay!!!!!

Horrible, horrible game!!!emoji35.png

I'm not watching the highlights of that game. ha! 

41 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah that's the one. There's been a couple of occasions we could have had Celtic at Palmerston then. As much as I can't stand both sides of the Old Firm, would be good if we had them down at Palmerston. 

Anyone know when the last time Celtic were down here? 

3 hours ago, SueSue said:

Over the 90 minutes a very good performance against a solid SPL side who have spent some money in the Summer.

Have we?

Fwiw we've not spent a fee since we bought Dave Mackay and Murray Davidson for £50k ten years ago, unless you count an absolutely nominal amount a few years back. 

52 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

Yeah that's the one. There's been a couple of occasions we could have had Celtic at Palmerston then. As much as I can't stand both sides of the Old Firm, would be good if we had them down at Palmerston. 

Anyone know when the last time Celtic were down here? 

August 21st 1985! 33 years ago this week.

We played them away in 1989 and again in 1990 but we have gone 28 years without playing them at all.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

8 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

August 21st 1985! 33 years ago this week.

We played them away in 1989 and again in 1991 but we have gone 27 years without playing them at all.

Thats crazy, all those cup competitons over the years and never drawn them once in 33 year! Must be the longest we've went without playing a team who haven't folded etc. 

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Was the second one not 1990?

To be honest I thought it was but the source I looked at said 1991. Will check now you've agreed with my original thought.

Edit - As you say, it WAS 1990. Amended original post.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

26 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

Thats crazy, all those cup competitons over the years and never drawn them once in 33 year! Must be the longest we've went without playing a team who haven't folded etc. 

It is pretty remarkable.  There's a good thread devoted to the subject.

10 minutes ago, kleinfaethetoon said:

If memory serves me right, Tommy Bryce opened the scoring with a peach of a free kick at the Terregles Street End before Celtic scored 4 without reply

I thought our goal was the equaliser, but I'm maybe wrong.

14 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I thought our goal was the equaliser, but I'm maybe wrong.

I thought it was too. Not certain though.

It was the game that started me off with Queens really. I had been to the odd game before that of course but rare examples. My dad worked Saturdays and never took me when I was young. We went to that game though as a big cup tie and as we played so well I was keen to go back and persuaded my parents to let me go with a friend to home games. 33 years later, and apart from three years away at Uni, I have rarely missed a home game and once I returned from Uni rarely missed an away game either until this year when family circumstances have meant not attending away games has become more usual.

14 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I thought it was too. Not certain though.

It was the game that started me off with Queens really. I had been to the odd game before that of course but rare examples. My dad worked Saturdays and never took me when I was young. We went to that game though as a big cup tie and as we played so well I was keen to go back and persuaded my parents to let me go with a friend to home games. 33 years later, and apart from three years away at Uni, I have rarely missed a home game and once I returned from Uni rarely missed an away game either until this year when family circumstances have meant not attending away games has become more usual.

I'll confess that I actually missed the match in question.