The Queen of the South thread

I thought it was too. Not certain though.
It was the game that started me off with Queens really. I had been to the odd game before that of course but rare examples. My dad worked Saturdays and never took me when I was young. We went to that game though as a big cup tie and as we played so well I was keen to go back and persuaded my parents to let me go with a friend to home games. 33 years later, and apart from three years away at Uni, I have rarely missed a home game and once I returned from Uni rarely missed an away game either until this year when family circumstances have meant not attending away games has become more usual.

I was the late 70’s when I started attending with my father, my first away game was against Stranraer in the Scottish Cup in 84, the 6-4 match. Always attend when I can but it’s mostly away games now due to re-locating to Perthshire a few years back. Bet we could all write volumes about our life and times following ‘The South’ [emoji2]

I actually don't know my first game, which is annoying and possibly quite rare as everyone seems to know.
Meadowbank Thistle, 3rd October 1987. We lost 2-0 which set the tone and expectations for the following 31 years.

get a life

Another fuckwit. That's all we need.
I actually don't know my first game, which is annoying and possibly quite rare as everyone seems to know.
I can't remember my first game either. I can remember early incidents but not a specific game. The earliest things I remember (I'm hoping SD can give me the exact game and dates [emoji38])

- a player being subbed, stopping just as he went off, taking out his shinguards and handing them to his replacement.

- Tommy Bryce (on more than one occasion) rounding the GK to score. I remember being the mascot (Vs Clyde, last game of the season in '97) and the players asking me who my favourite player was. I said Tommy and when they asked why I said "because I liked it when he ran around the goalie to score".

- Bryce's first game back at Queens. He came off the bench as I recall.

- A bit later but getting hammered 7-0 by Livi. I left with my papa at 4-0. The first ever game I left early and could actually count on one hand the times I've done that since. Saturday being one of them funnily enough.

So you're not alone [emoji38]

1 hour ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

That Celtic game wasnt my first, just the one that started me as an actual supporter going every week. I was definitely at several earlier games. The earliest game I was definitely at was the Scottish Cup tie against Partick Thistle in February 1980. It was a high profile match, I was 9 and my dad got us two terrace tickets but couldnt get seated ones. But he was worried I wouldnt be able to see properly on the terrace. Then he met an aquaintance outside who had two stand tickets and was willing to swap. 

I dont remember the very first though. Near certain I had been to occasional games before that. Definitely saw a reserve game v Stranraer in the late 70s. I was at an Ayr v Dundee match in March 1979 and I am sure I had been to Palmerston before that. Cant identify any game for certain though so my personal stats start with the Thistle game.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I can't remember my first game either. I can remember early incidents but not a specific game. The earliest things I remember (I'm hoping SD can give me the exact game and dates emoji38.png)

- a player being subbed, stopping just as he went off, taking out his shinguards and handing them to his replacement.

- Tommy Bryce (on more than one occasion) rounding the GK to score. I remember being the mascot (Vs Clyde, last game of the season in '97) and the players asking me who my favourite player was. I said Tommy and when they asked why I said "because I liked it when he ran around the goalie to score".

- Bryce's first game back at Queens. He came off the bench as I recall.

- A bit later but getting hammered 7-0 by Livi. I left with my papa at 4-0. The first ever game I left early and could actually count on one hand the times I've done that since. Saturday being one of them funnily enough.

So you're not alone emoji38.png

Drafted a post but accidentally deleted it. To summarise:

No idea about the shinguard incident, Behave!

Tommy Bryce scored more than one only twice during the 96/97 season. All 4 in a 4-0 win over Dumbarton on 22/2/97 and both in a 2-0 win over Berwick on 12/4/97. The Dumbarton game is presumably the more likely.

Your anonymity has gone if you were mascot v Clyde on 10/5/97. You are not who I always thought you were.

Bryce had 3 spells as a player with us. His first return was 1994, his second was 1999. He wasnt a sub on his 1994 return, I presume you mean the second one following his sacking as Thistle manager. In 1999 his debut was as a sub in a 5-3 away win at Alloa on 20th March. If you meant a home game he was also sub the next week v East Fife on 3rd April. 

Finally, that 7-0 loss at home to Livi was a Scottish Cup tie on 29th January 2000. Apart from the embarrassing svore, notable also for a beezer of an own goal from Alan Kerr that featured on Soccer AM the following week.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I’ve mentioned this before when the subject is brought up but my first game was a 5-4 victory over Berwick in 1994. I’ve still got the programme for that one.

My first away trip was the Challenge Cup Final in Motherwell against Falkirk.

I’m not sure what my first away league game would have been but I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t at least a decade after the trip to Motherwell. My dad only goes to home games and none of my friends growing up were Queens fans. I still only make it to a handful of away games in a season.

I dont remember my first game either - in fact Im not totally sure which would have been my first season!

I know we started going towards the end of one season and I remember trips to Airdrie and either Clyde or Clydebank. We then started going home and away from the following season. Having a quick look, I think it must have been the 87/88 season which made my first full season the infamous 88/89 relegation year!

Drafted a post but accidentally deleted it. To summarise:
No idea about the shinguard incident, Behave!
Tommy Bryce scored more than one only twice during the 96/97 season. All 4 in a 4-0 win over Dumbarton on 22/2/97 and both in a 2-0 win over Berwick on 12/4/97. The Dumbarton game is presumably the more likely.
Your anonymity has gone if you were mascot v Clyde on 10/5/97. You are not who I always thought you were.
Bryce had 3 spells as a player with us. His first return was 1994, his second was 1999. He wasnt a sub on his 1994 return, I presume you mean the second one following his sacking as Thistle manager. In 1999 his debut was as a sub in a 5-3 away win at Alloa on 20th March. If you meant a home game he was also sub the next week v East Fife on 3rd April. 
Finally, that 7-0 loss at home to Livi was a Scottish Cup tie on 29th January 2000. Apart from the embarrassing svore, notable also for a beezer of an own goal from Alan Kerr that featured on Soccer AM the following week.
The shinguard incident definitely happened. It's still one of my earliest memories and I can still hear the grumbling and laughing from people around me commenting about it. There are some things that people don't remember clearly and obviously things get muddled but that's one thing I'm absolutely confident definitely happened.

Yeah it was the home game so that must have been 1999.

Given it's no secret where I work and I've attended games straight from there still in my uniform, my anonymity isn't much of a secret anyway [emoji14]

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

The shinguard incident definitely happened. It's still one of my earliest memories and I can still hear the grumbling and laughing from people around me commenting about it. There are some things that people don't remember clearly and obviously things get muddled but that's one thing I'm absolutely confident definitely happened.

Given it's no secret where I work and I've attended games straight from there still in my uniform, my anonymity isn't much of a secret anyway emoji14.png

If it makes you feel any better, I have no idea who you are :lol:

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Given it's no secret where I work and I've attended games straight from there still in my uniform, my anonymity isn't much of a secret anyway emoji14.png

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

If it makes you feel any better, I have no idea who you are :lol:

He's either a policeman or G4S steward doing a bit of moonlighting. 

My first game was in the very early '60s at Christmas/New Year. We were playing East Fife and were losing 0-1 at half time but thankfully ended the game winning 5-1 with Jim Patterson very much to the fore.  A large crowd, changing ends at half-time walking behind the coo shed and the old wooden stand full. And if you fancied a seat in the old stand cushions were available also! I bet the seats then were devoid of anything left by gulls!

I see there is a bit of grumbling going on again in the papers about artificial grass pitches,    more the rangers on about Kilmarnock's pitch than anything, and of course if they complain the Press will jump on the case. Our pitch,  along with others,  had had its fair share of criticism but I was thinking that in maybe 5 or 10 years time when the more "traditionalist" generation of players has moved on to be replaced by up and coming youngsters, that this plastic V grass debate will eventually die out.  I would think that young players coming through at most clubs nowadays will be more used to training and playing on astroturf and for them grass pitches will be more the exception rather than the rule. Could there come a time when people post on P &  B complaining about the number of teams who persist on playing on that  old fashioned grass stuff? Of course old coders (like me)  who will hopefully be around for a few years yet,  may take longer to be converted to the idea that grass is old-fashioned. 

If it makes you feel any better, I have no idea who you are [emoji38]

Grand, I can be cheeky to you then b) I think I only know who one QoS poster is here and that's SD. Don't know any others. But anonymous or not I don't say anything on here that I wouldn't be comfortable saying to someone's face.
I see there is a bit of grumbling going on again in the papers about artificial grass pitches,    more the rangers on about Kilmarnock's pitch than anything, and of course if they complain the Press will jump on the case. Our pitch,  along with others,  had had its fair share of criticism but I was thinking that in maybe 5 or 10 years time when the more "traditionalist" generation of players has moved on to be replaced by up and coming youngsters, that this plastic V grass debate will eventually die out.  I would think that young players coming through at most clubs nowadays will be more used to training and playing on astroturf and for them grass pitches will be more the exception rather than the rule. Could there come a time when people post on P &  B complaining about the number of teams who persist on playing on that  old fashioned grass stuff? Of course old coders (like me)  who will hopefully be around for a few years yet,  may take longer to be converted to the idea that grass is old-fashioned. 
I don't think grass pitches will ever disappear. The clubs who can afford to keep them in top condition will keep them. I'm not anti-plastic; I think Falkirk's pitch is an excellent playing surface. But a good grass pitch is far better than any plastic pitch. Artificial serves a purpose for smaller clubs though so they won't be going anywhere soon either.

I doubt we will ever see a plastic pitch on Match of the Day though.

14 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Grand, I can be cheeky to you then b) I think I only know who one QoS poster is here and that's SD. Don't know any others. But anonymous or not I don't say anything on here that I wouldn't be comfortable saying to someone's face.
I don't think grass pitches will ever disappear. The clubs who can afford to keep them in top condition will keep them. I'm not anti-plastic; I think Falkirk's pitch is an excellent playing surface. But a good grass pitch is far better than any plastic pitch. Artificial serves a purpose for smaller clubs though so they won't be going anywhere soon either.

I agree that there will always be grass pitches at the very top level,  but I think that as new generations of players come through there will be a better acceptance of astroturf surfaces as it will be more what these players will be used to playing and training on.  And of course the development of artificial surfaces is ,  or should be,  improving. 

Grand, I can be cheeky to you then b) 

You generally are :P 

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I agree that there will always be grass pitches at the very top level,  but I think that as new generations of players come through there will be a better acceptance of astroturf surfaces as it will be more what these players will be used to playing and training on.  And of course the development of artificial surfaces is ,  or should be,  improving. 

Top clubs already have hybrid pitches, do they not? Mainly grass but with artificial "blades" woven in.

I agree, though, I doubt pure artificial pitches will ever be common place in the top flight but mainly because they can afford better options.

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Wasn't disputing it happened, more that you thought I would somehow know what game it was because two players swapped shinguards when a sub was happening! :lol:

I keep some really picky records, but I've never recorded incidents of kit swapping on the sidelines!