The Queen of the South thread

Green dot because I think it's a very brave stance to take given the general mood on this site. It's not far away from my own thinking to be honest.

I'm split on what the best thing to do would be but not really for the right reasons. Firstly, I genuinely couldn't care less what division Rangers play in. I don't watch them or care how they get on so it makes no direct odds to me. And I don't fall into the "it's a new company they start at the bottom" credo. It's Rangers. It walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's a duck and this particular duck is Rangers. So for me its about whether Rangers should be relegated one division or three for their "crimes against football".

As I said, I actually don't care enough about what the answer to that question is to get too upset about it. However, the following would all be great things for the future of Scottish football in my opinion:

- Fairer income distribution amongst the clubs.

- Playoffs from the top division to the next one meaning it's possible for more than one club to be promoted.

- A pyramid system to enable ambitious non-league clubs to reach the SPL.

- A merged league again with only two (or better still even just one) governing bodies.

All of that is on the table here and when it's there I'd grab it. We've been pleading for it for years. What's the alternative? Rangers aren't going to pop out of existence. If they start in division three then two years from now they'll be in division one anyway and we'll quite likely have none of these things. There's even a possibility that faced with potential implosion amongst their member clubs the SPL will suddenly re-visit last week's vote and bring them back in directly anyway rather than lose them for three years. And then we have nothing.

I don't actually see Rangers going down one division rather than three as any great crime against "sporting integrity" but even if it was it's maybe a price worth paying for the greater good of the game.

All that said, I dislike intensely the way Neil Doncaster and his employers (the other 11 SPL clubs) have handled this whole mess and punted it to the SFL to sort out, clapping themselves on the back along the way whilst working in the background to get them back asap. A part of me would like to stick two fingers up at the idea and punt the problem right back at them.

So am I overly bothered about the ultimate outcome of this vote? No, I'm not. There are positives and negatives either way. But I do think the better outcome so we can all just get on with things would be a yes to letting them into division 1, take what's on offer and get things planned and underway. The alternative is just going to leave even more ongoing uncertainty.

It seems likely it will be a "no" though so we can only wait and see what happens.

For the avoidance of any potential doubt - This is my own opinion. I do not speak for Queen of the South FC and I do not know what way the chairman will ultimately vote today.

Well, we differ on the subject of Rangers. You're "If it walks like a duck..." line doesn't hold up because if it was any other club (but one) they would be required to apply as a new club. You and I both know that.

I simply don't have your capacity for not caring about the nature of the competitions we watch, beyond how they impact on Queens. There's something bigger at stake here.

I do actually have some sympathy for the argument that suggests if they got to the 3rd and there are therefore no concessions, we might wonder 5 years down the line whether a chance was missed. I'll live with that danger though, because the alternative is to accept that one club (or two) can be treated differently from the others.

Do you not also see a contradiction in criticising the behaviour of the governing bodies, while biting at their vague offer?

Guest Flash

And I don't fall into the "it's a new company they start at the bottom" credo. It's Rangers. It walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's a duck and this particular duck is Rangers. So for me its about whether Rangers should be relegated one division or three for their "crimes against football".

Yes, but it is a dead duck.

If Queens went into liquidation and reformed as a Newco, we'd have to apply to join the SFL and would be lucky to get back into Division Three.

If you accept any club jumping straight into the First as a result of reorganisational changes that wouldn't otherwise be made then all you are saying is you are up for accepting bribes.

Well, we differ on the subject of Rangers. You're "If it walks like a duck..." line doesn't hold up because if it was any other club (but one) they would be required to apply as a new club. You and I both know that.

I simply don't have your capacity for not caring about the nature of the competitions we watch, beyond how they impact on Queens. There's something bigger at stake here.

I do actually have some sympathy for the argument that suggests if they got to the 3rd and there are therefore no concessions, we might wonder 5 years down the line whether a chance was missed. I'll live with that danger though, because the alternative is to accept that one club (or two) can be treated differently from the others.

Do you not also see a contradiction in criticising the behaviour of the governing bodies, while biting at their vague offer?

I think Im somewhere in the middle here. I think the right result would be that Rangers are voted into the 3rd division, but I dont care enough that I would walk away from Queens if they are voted into the 1st.

I would be disappointed, hugely so, but at the end of the day, finding out that Scottish football is "rigged" in favour of the OF wouldnt exactly come as a startling revelation.

I think Im somewhere in the middle here. I think the right result would be that Rangers are voted into the 3rd division, but I dont care enough that I would walk away from Queens if they are voted into the 1st.

I would be disappointed, hugely so, but at the end of the day, finding out that Scottish football is "rigged" in favour of the OF wouldnt exactly come as a startling revelation.

I've not said anywhere that I'd walk away from Queens, but I'd care less about them and the 'competitions' they take part in, which might be reflected in my attendance patterns. I'm not sure why you'd then place yourself in the middle of this debate.

As for your second point, a Falkirk fan put it better than I could on the big thread during the week. He said something along the lines of always knowing Scottish Football was rigged, but Scottish Football was about to tell him that to his face.

There is a crucial difference in there.

The issue isn't walking away from QOSFC but walking away from Scottish football as its rotten to the core.

Rae's statement proves to me how out of touch with the fans Queens are, no surprise there.

Couple of other points, why did the turkeys vote for Xmas and when are Gretna 2008 joining Newco in the 1st?

I've not said anywhere that I'd walk away from Queens, but I'd care less about them and the 'competitions' they take part in, which might be reflected in my attendance patterns. I'm not sure why you'd then place yourself in the middle of this debate.

As for your second point, a Falkirk fan put it better than I could on the big thread during the week. He said something along the lines of always knowing Scottish Football was rigged, but Scottish Football was about to tell him that to his face.

There is a crucial difference in there.

Many others have said they will walk away. I'd put them at one end and SD and football maniac at the other.

I know I replied to your post, but I wasnt presuming to speak for you, or use you as a direct reference, apologies if thats how it seemed.

The issue isn't walking away from QOSFC but walking away from Scottish football as its rotten to the core.

Rae's statement proves to me how out of touch with the fans Queens are, no surprise there.

Couple of other points, why did the turkeys vote for Xmas and when are Gretna 2008 joining Newco in the 1st?

Again, plenty of fans, not just of Queens, have said they will walk away from their clubs if their club votes 'yes'. It was these I was thinking of.

That's you now got 4 local derby's against Stranraer rather than playing Airdrie!

Yes, it is a derby but it's not that local. In fact, it's probably easier to get to Airdrie than Stranraer! In saying that, I'll be pleased if we do indeed see Stranraer in SFL2 next season. Anyway, I'm not counting any chickens until any statement from the SFA and then the SPL meeting on Monday.

Maybe we should vote no and hope we get an invite to SPL2, that would open another can of worms or are we voting yes and hoping the vote is no so we get an invite?

Can't see it happening, but if we did get an invite to a Rangers accommodating SPL2 on the back of this, then that is where I'd draw a line. I couldn't watch us on those terms.

Right now, I'm delighted by the result. Rumour is that we were one of the five, which would be hugely disappointing. Given the choice between my club doing the right thing, but the vote going the other way or this however, I'd probably take this.

Proud to be diddy fan; maybe not so proud to be a Queens one though.

As I said MK, we have no control over what way a small group of people representing us voted . What I do know is that the vast majority of Queens wanted this outcome ( in line with everyone else ). I am pleased and proud of this stance . If we did vote yes and some ( visitors also ) are saying they will stay away from us , then I would say think again . Now is the time we club together and visit as many grounds as possible , helping everyone out if possible . The old firm apologists / doom predictors will be wanting clubs to fall on their arses saying " told you so ". Lets hope these parasites of whom the old firm mean absolutely everything , are proved wrong .

As I said MK, we have no control over what way a small group of people representing us voted . What I do know is that the vast majority of Queens wanted this outcome ( in line with everyone else ). I am pleased and proud of this stance . If we did vote yes and some ( visitors also ) are saying they will stay away from us , then I would say think again . Now is the time we club together and visit as many grounds as possible , helping everyone out if possible . The old firm apologists / doom predictors will be wanting clubs to fall on their arses saying " told you so ". Lets hope these parasites of whom the old firm mean absolutely everything , are proved wrong .

Yes, I'd agree with all of that.

I'm still angry with our Board though.

Edited by Monkey Tennis