The Queen of the South thread

I thought we reached that goal when we won our first game this season!

Indeed.

Whilst none of us wanted to be relegated you can imagine that Gus would have remained in charge if he had saved us from the drop. On that basis I don't think it is that outrageous to think we would currently be in the midst of another season long struggle. Instead, we have a bright young manager and a team to be proud of, playing an exciting brand of football. It is still early days but relegation looks like it may have been a blessing in disguise.

Edited by qos_75

Indeed.

Whilst none of us nobody wanted to be relegated you can imagine that Gus would have remained in charge if he had saved us from the drop. On that basis I don't think it is that outrageous to think we would currently be in the midst of another season long struggle. Instead, we have a bright young manager and a team to be proud of, playing an exciting brand of football. It is still early days but relegation looks like it may have been a blessing in disguise.

The thought of another season of Gus's turgid imitation of football would have me slitting my wrists or reaching for the bottle.

Probably the bottle :rolleyes:

Indeed.

Whilst none of us wanted to be relegated you can imagine that Gus would have remained in charge if he had saved us from the drop. On that basis I don't think it is that outrageous to think we would currently be in the midst of another season long struggle. Instead, we have a bright young manager and a team to be proud of, playing an exciting brand of football. It is still early days but relegation looks like it may have been a blessing in disguise.

Agreed, but only if it resulted in Gus leaving, which isn't clear. Remember, Gus was offered a new contract in February, well after it was obvious he was producing the most negative style of play imaginable that wasn't even getting results. Robertson said then that Gus would be here even if we were relegated. So, either there was a complete U-turn by the Board after the inevitable relegation took place, or Gus decided he'd had enough, which might have happened even if he had kept us up. So there is no guarantee that he would have been here if we'd stayed up.

I suppose it won't matter overly if we do end up being promoted. But I can't help thinking that it is such a waste for this team to be trying to get out of the Second when it would probably be doing ok in the First. If Gus had been sacked in January (as the sensible people wanted :P ) we might have stayed up.

As it is, we might not go back up because, apart from anything else, there is every chance that Johnston and/or some of the players will be poached between now and the end of the season. I'd rather have to deal with that as a First division team than as one trying to get out of the Second.

When was the last time we won 6 straight league games? Take something from Stenny in a fortnight and we will have played every team in the league without loss!

Last time I can find was in 1998/99 between 20 February and 3 April 1999 when we won 6 league games in a row. For 18 against 5. Seventh game was a defeat.

Before that, I think the last time was between 16 November 1985 and 18 January 1986. Again, 6 league wins in a row. For 15 against 3. Seventh game was a draw, then a defeat.

The record for us is 10 league wins in a row between 22 November 1969 and 7 February 1970. For 29 against 10. Eleventh game was a draw, then a defeat.

Queens have reportedly loaned a player called Hopkirk to Annan,what position does he play and how long is the loan for and more importantly is he any good?

Info from our site.

Link

Hasn't featured much for us. Last seen as late sub replacing a striker after we went down to 10 men in a 0-0 draw at East Fife.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

TERREGLES STREET MURALS ; coming on niceley !!!

I'm guessing the signature is the artist !

Enjoy !!!

I've been meaning to ask about these since the first one appeared a week or two back.

They're basically at the bottom of my road and I wondered what others thought.

The mural is perhaps traditionally more the preserve of OF followers, but our Terregles Street protaganists are at least devoid of balaclavas. Personally, I'm a fan of the pictures. They do improve the appearance of that wall and they certainly add something.

FWIW, the first one featuring JT and Houliston is to my mind better than the second one featuring Cup run scenes from '08. However, my credentials as an art critic wouldn't bear much scrutiny, so I'm happy with what we've got. I like the idea and the overall effect is quite impressive.

Is the plan to do the entire wall? I really hope it is, but I wonder where we go. We've used up the Cup run as well as our one capped player (while with us). I venture the next part should feature a scene of a Gus team where everyone is behind the ball, yet we're still managing to lose a late goal.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Guest TOPFITTER

I've been meaning to ask about these since the first one appeared a week or two back.

They're basically at the bottom of my road and I wondered what others thought.

The mural is perhaps traditionally more the preserve of OF followers, but our Terregles Street protaganists are at least devoid of balaclavas. Personally, I'm a fan of the pictures. They do improve the appearance of that wall and they certainly add something.

FWIW, the first one featuring JT and Houliston is to my mind better than the second one featuring Cup run scenes from '08. However, my credentials as an art critic wouldn't bear much scrutiny, so I'm happy with what we've got. I like the idea and the overall effect is quite impressive.

Is the plan to do the entire wall? I really hope it is, but I wonder where we go. We've used up the Cup run as well as our one capped player (while with us). I venture the next part should feature a scene of a Gus team where everyone is behind the ball, yet we're still managing to lose a late goal.

Is it too much to hope for an Unbeaten 2012-2013 League Winning campaign and a Ramsdens Cup Double ?

OK I'll away back to my locked ward and cuddle doon with some anti-psychotic medication, then again DREAMS CAN COME TRUE !!!:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

I must be seriously losing it, next I'll suggest we will have a Fan Board Member and Stadium Development,,,,, or will we ????????

Queens have reportedly loaned a player called Hopkirk to Annan,what position does he play and how long is the loan for and more importantly is he any good?

I've only seen him twice, against Gretna and Morton. Very fast but a bit slight. Interested to see how he does for Annan because he won't be able to break into a team on top form any time soon.

I think we should leave Gus out of any pictures as the streak down his back would use up all the yellow paint.

I probably would've left it after the first one as the "Davie Rae homage" is pretty cringeworthy. Unless of course there are homages to Norman Blount, Ronnie Bradford, Billy Hewitson etc. to follow?

Rae is probably on there because he was chairman during the Cup run.

There should be another picture of him throwing money at Chisholm, with the latter pissing it against a wall.

How long before it is covered in graffiti? sad.gif

On the Hopkirk front. Has he been returned by us to his club(if he has one) or has he been loaned out by us to Annan; which I wasn't aware was possible. In any case, I'm guessing QoS aren't dealing with his wages any more?