The Queen of the South thread

This is the first time that I have seen this and its a lovely piece of art work . Pity Goram can't be blanked out and Davidson etched in instead . That would then be perfect .

I'm sure something could be arranged!

I feel sick just seeing that mural. Roy Henderson spent 11 seasons at Palmerston and played only one of those out of the top division. Alan Ball played for the club for almost 20 years and has represented Queens more than any other player.

Other notables not on the mural include Colin Scott: over 100 appearances (would have been more had it not been for injury) and was the keeper that saved that penalty against Hamilton Accies in 2002 that saw us promoted. Jamie Macdonald played for us for almost two seasons and was our keeper during our run to the Scottish Cup Final in 2008. My favourite when I was a boy, Alan Davidson, is 10th on our all-time appearances list and played for 11 seasons in total. Barney was eccentric and had the most amazing reflexes. He was our keeper in the promotion season 1985-86. George Farm, who only eight months before had been capped for Scotland, stayed with us for three seasons. He made over 100 appearances, including the promotion season 1961-62 and served as player-manager before being sacked by Harkness.

Andy Goram played for us on 19 occasions and picked up a winners medal in the Challenge Cup. That's it.

Goram is not on the mural for what he achieved at Queens. I saw a number of his games for us and he generally played well. He did a job, albeit briefly, then left. He does not deserve a place on the mural. I do feel quite strongly about this.

Edited by MB

I'm sure something could be arranged!

I feel sick just seeing that mural. Roy Henderson spent 11 seasons at Palmerston and played only one of those out of the top division. Alan Ball played for the club for almost 20 years and has represented the Queens more than any other player.

Other notables not on the mural include Colin Scott: over 100 appearances (would have been more had it not been for injury) and was the keeper that saved that penalty against Hamilton Accies in 2002 that saw us promoted. Jamie Macdonald played for us for almost two seasons and was our keeper during our run to the Scottish Cup Final in 2008. My favourite when I was a boy, Alan Davidson, is 10th on our all-time appearances list and played for 11 seasons in total. Barney was eccentric and had the most amazing reflexes. He was our keeper in the promotion season 1985-86. George Farm, who only eight months before had been capped for Scotland, stayed with us for three seasons. He made over 100 appearances, including the promotion season 1961-62 and served as player-manager before being sacked by Harkness.

Andy Goram played for us on 19 occasions and picked up a winners medal in the Challenge Cup. That's it.

Goram is not on the mural for what he achieved at Queens. I saw a number of his games for us and he generally played well. He did a job, albeit briefly, then left. He does not deserve a place on the mural. I do feel quite strongly about this.

Sorry you feel so strongly about it. I have to confess it cheered me up to see it. I liked the goalie theme and the artist also put in our only cup win by including Goram; not, by any stretch of the imagination, a QoS legend, but one of Scotland's most famous keepers of recent times.

I hope the whole Terregles End gets done eventually.

Another great bit of PR. We might as well just go the whole way and rename Palmerston as Lesser Ibrox.

This club has an identity and tradition all of it's own, and it certainly needs no further associations with either half of the Old Firm. To choose Goram over and above George Farm and Barney Davidson shows, at best, a distinctly shoddy grasp of the history of Queen of the South FC.

First there was the Sevco SFL vote, and now there are murals of a Rangers legend on the (Derry?) walls of our stadium. Whilst I appreciate SD's comment about the Board having nothing to do with the artworks, I fear this won't be the last Rangers love-in at Palmerston so long as Robertson is onboard. dry.gif

I think we need to chill out here. The murals have been put up the brighten things up a bit on a neglected part of the ground and as far as I am aware it is not a definitive list of the club's greatest ever players. So why all the bed wetting?

To be honest I find it strange that part of the mural depicts Davie Rae in with a field a herd of cows, but that's the artist's choice, so who am I to argue? I certainly won't lose any sleep over it or view it as evidence that the club is going to hell in a handcart. It seems the club can't do right for doing wrong at times.

Anyway, just before we get all Rita Hayworth by this latest 'catastrophe' for the club, let's cling to the very real situation that we find ourselves in at present. Christmas is just around the corner and in case some folk have forgotten, we are top of the league (unbeaten), four points clear and have a game in hand. This is not the time to be sitting with a face like a smacked arse over an artwork ;)

If I remember correctly he put that in with his shoulder eh? went to header it, fucked it up and it went in.

Basturddry.gif

Yep, and don't you forget it. :D But no, you've owned us in pretty much every game since then. Bye now.

I think we need to chill out here. The murals have been put up the brighten things up a bit on a neglected part of the ground and as far as I am aware it is not a definitive list of the club's greatest ever players. So why all the bed wetting?

To be honest I find it strange that part of the mural depicts Davie Rae in with a field a herd of cows, but that's the artist's choice, so who am I to argue? I certainly won't lose any sleep over it or view it as evidence that the club is going to hell in a handcart. It seems the club can't do right for doing wrong at times.

Anyway, just before we get all Rita Hayworth by this latest 'catastrophe' for the club, let's cling to the very real situation that we find ourselves in at present. Christmas is just around the corner and in case some folk have forgotten, we are top of the league (unbeaten), four points clear and have a game in hand. This is not the time to be sitting with a face like a smacked arse over an artwork ;)

I agree

Another three points for Alloa today and they look like they are up for the fight . Interesting to note that they have scored the same amount of goals as us although have played one more game . The looming game at Recreation Park could well be a good one . It will be interesting to see how they approach the game . They could well attack more , being the home team and the onus on them to do this but we will relish that

With all being said of alloa, I seriously think that the first team to attempt attacking football against us will be on the severe end of a hiding. Every week now teams are shutting up shop.

You pretty much summed up my thoughts. Arbroath tried to play attacking against us and got a right good slap. Alloa did the first time as well and were well beaten, although the scoreline would suggest otherwise. In the 2nd Alloa game it was very clear that Hartley set his team up for a draw and a possibility of sneaking a counter attack winner. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest the team we have would be capable of holding their own in the 1st Division and teams will be happy to take a point from us. From what I have seen from the other teams in the 2nd, if any of them try and go toe-to-toe with us they will likely get a severe spanking.

Everybody entitled to their opinion. I think the mural is great. Better than bricks. Scooter would have had my vote for the man from the latest era but I can understand why Goram - who was still amazing and who raised the profile of the club, like it or not, was included.

Really pleased with Allan Ball's sideburns btw - works of art!

I don't really care who features on the wall tbh. I do agree with this part though; his performance at home to St Johnstone in our first year up was the best goalkeeping display I can recall in a QoS jersey. He certainly won us the point that day.

I don't really care who features on the wall tbh. I do agree with this part though; his performance at home to St Johnstone in our first year up was the best goalkeeping display I can recall in a QoS jersey. He certainly won us the point that day.

It's the Billy the Fish sexy mullet that warranted his inclusion.

Not much been said about our excellent financial performance last year, £20000 profit. Though the letter states we would have lost 100k plus if not for the Aberdeen games. Seems a serious amount of cash to make fnor two no televised games?

Could more have been done to keep us up, or where they reluctant to spunk money on a lame horse of a manager?

Fair question. Although, as the Aberdeen games werent until February, I suppose no one would have known the extra money would be available, or at least to what extent.

I kind of got the impression that Parkin was our "heres some extra cash, keep us up" signing in January.

Certainly good enough for the level of football we were at.

Which was he then - "amazing" or "good enough"?

I'm not pretending he performed disastrously for us, but he did nothing of note. I remember the St Johnstone game referred to elsewhere, but recall nothing remotely remarkable about our 'keeper's performance.

While I welcome the existence of these murals, recognise they represent an interpretation rather than a definitive listing, and don't see the same conspiracies as Big Rubber Fist, I do see Goram's inclusion as regrettable.

Tom English explains below, much better than I can, what's wrong with Goram. To offset it, Goram would have had to have been a Hell of a Queens player, and he wasn't.

By TOM ENGLISH

Published on Sunday 7 October 2012 00:22

IN A sense, you've got to hand it to Andy Goram. No matter how much nonsense he comes out with, he always seems to have an outlet all too willing to take his words seriously...

We live in a democracy and everybody's entitled to their opinion, but Goram's prominence in the media is still troubling, not for his understandable, but sometimes utterly daft, pro-Rangers assertions, but because of his back story.

John Terry is currently getting hauled over the coals for his racist moment in an incident with the QPR defender, Anton Ferdinand. Terry has been found guilty of deliberately causing offence with his sick remarks to Ferdinand and he's paying a price for that now albeit a lenient one in terms of the games he is banned for and will continue to do so in the future. The stigma of this episode is never going to leave Terry. It'll be a stain on his character for the rest of his days.In his own background, Goram has a similar tale and it's always been something of a puzzle why he's been able to move on from it so effortlessly. About four years ago he told a story from his playing days in the heat of battle against Celtic. He recounted facing a penalty against Pierre van Hooijdonk in 1996, a penalty the goalkeeper saved, as was his wont when he was in prime. Taking this trip down memory lane, Goram said that once he'd beaten away the Dutchman's effort he went to Van Hooijdonk and, paraphrasing in the telling of the story, called him a "non-white, unclean, non-Protestant with no father".

In terms of bigotry and racism it was a tour de force but the admission came and went and still Goram is wheeled out to offer his verdict on the Old Firm as if his opinion is worth listening to. His autobiography, published three years ago, offered more glimpses of his other side. He recounts a yarn about a visit to a pub in west Belfast, a hang-out for supporters of the Ulster Volunteer Force. At the time, Goram was reading about the Shankill Butchers, the 1970s loyalist throat-slashing murder gang...

" I'd unwittingly add to that perception by wearing a black armband in a match against Celtic soon after (King Rat) Billy Wright was shot three times and killed by an Irish National Liberation Army assassination squad inside the Maze prison."

Unwittingly? Goram wore a black armband in a game at Ibrox five days after Wright was killed, claiming later it wasn't in memory of Wright but his aunt Lily who had passed away four months earlier. Now, there will be those who say that this was all in Goram's past and that it has no relevance to what he is doing now, but it's hard to look at him and not think about the Van Hooijdonk moment and wonder what the hell are we doing as a media giving him a platform.

Goram induces a sense of nausea in this space.

But there is one column I would like to read, an explanation of the Van Hooijdonk incident and what he thinks about it now.

It might not be spoken about these days, but it's always there in his background and it's a wretched thing.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

The fact that they're going pretty well must have made the shameful nature of their collapse at Ibrox last week, all the more galling for their fans.

It was certainly a very disappointing day for us and I think our players and fans will look back on it with great regret, we simply didn't turn up. No point in dwelling on it though, particularly when this Alloa team entertained us so well last season and has now made a very solid start in the higher division. I wouldn't use the word "shameful" when these players have done so well for us over the past year or so. I'm just glad that we didn't vote for Sevco in Division 1 and erect a painting of Andy Goram at our ground - that really would be galling for our fans :P .

If Alloa play to potential I think we are quite capable of causing QoS problems in the remaining games between the sides. Overall however QoS are already looking like champions elect in this league and I think Alloa would be very happy if we can secure a play-off spot.

Which was he then - "amazing" or "good enough"?

Well, I certainly saw him pull off some remarkable saves, as I said, and was amazed that the ball had not ended in the net on those occasions. So, "amazing", yes , in flashes; "good enough", yes, one of the better keepers I have seen play for us, even at the end of his career. So both.

No, he is not a QoS legend and I don't think that it was the artist's intention to suggest he was.

It's just a shame Goram is pictured beside two legends in the shape of Henderson and Ball. A mural of the winning challenge cup side would have been fine but I think most Queens fans would agree that we've had other keepers who have contributed more than Goram. For the record, when I saw him play for us he had a presence about him but others are more deserving.

It's just a shame Goram is pictured beside two legends in the shape of Henderson and Ball. A mural of the winning challenge cup side would have been fine but I think most Queens fans would agree that we've had other keepers who have contributed more than Goram. For the record, when I saw him play for us he had a presence about him but others are more deserving.

Aye the presence about Goram was made up of several pies too many over the yearswink.gif Who remembers the Andy Cargill lob from the half way line against Goram in a 2-2 draw with Arbroath? To be fair he was a top keeper on this day...

Aye the presence about Goram was made up of several pies too many over the yearswink.gif Who remembers the Andy Cargill lob from the half way line against Goram in a 2-2 draw with Arbroath? To be fair he was a top keeper on this day...

I remember it very well! :blink: Not the greatest positioning and a decent opportunist strike. Not the worst blooper I've seen at Palmerston: that would be Allan Ball letting the opposition's keeper's hoof up the park bounce over his head and into the Portland End net. :o (scorer: George Woods, East Stirling)

tbf it was blowing a gale.

I remember it very well! :blink: Not the greatest positioning and a decent opportunist strike. Not the worst blooper I've seen at Palmerston: that would be Allan Ball letting the opposition's keeper's hoof up the park bounce over his head and into the Portland End net. :o (scorer: George Woods, East Stirling)

Goalkeeping bloopers... if I had a quid for every I had witnessedrolleyes.gif I can't say I have actually seen a keeper score, but I life in hope! Please not against us BTW!

George Wood it was.......4 caps for Scotland as well...........

http://en.wikipedia....ood_(footballer)

Edited by RUSTY1111