The Queen of the South thread

Grant 228 - you say " Simmons could be a very good player when he wanted to " . When was this if you don't mind me asking ?

He turned it on a couple of times for Dunfermline, you'll forgive me for not remembering exact games as they were a good few years ago now but there were a good few games where I walked away thinking "Simmons had a good game today", like most of our squad he really came to life during a cup run in '07, having storming games against Rangers and Partick Thistle. You also saw brief instances during games where he would pull of a good pass etc. He played well against us for Raith aswell annoyingly.

Burns was a bad footballer who tried his damndest.

Simmons was an ok footballer with an awful attitude.

If I remember correctly he put that in with his shoulder eh? went to header it, fucked it up and it went in.

Basturddry.gif

Whoah! Thats a jolly big pic of Tam you got there, seeing as im here, out of the 3 returnees (Burns,Gibson and Lyle) who has showed up the best? My money woulda been on Burns for a number of reasons, Im actually a bairn but see Queens regularly as my fathers been a Doonhammer for 70 years, I can remember standing behind the away goals at Anfield in Stirling when Queens scored in the mid 70s, Ohara maybe got the winner, can any South statoo's help with or am I just getting too old?

Goram's inclusion is a travesty. He hardly played any games for us and if others such as Alan Davidson, Colin Scott and George Farm are not to be found alongside two very worthy keepers in Henderson and Ball then it is absolutely scandalous.

I know he was only on loan but evem Jamie Macdonald would be a more worthy shout than Goram

my fathers been a Doonhammer for 70 years, I can remember standing behind the away goals at Anfield in Stirling when Queens scored in the mid 70s, Ohara maybe got the winner, can any South statoo's help with or am I just getting too old?

You're certainly too old to spell Doonhamer properly.

I know he was only on loan but evem Jamie Macdonald would be a more worthy shout than Goram

Yes, of course he would. Macdonald played with us for two very successful seasons in our history and generally proved to be a capable keeper.

Goram is only there for what he achieved before his arrival at Queens. A Queen of the South mural should include pictures of players who achieved great things whilst at the club. It's not rocket science.

Edited by MB

Goram is only there for what he achieved before his arrival at Queens. A Queen of the South mural should include pictures of players who achieved great things whilst at the club. It's not rocket science.

This, very much this.

Anyone know which Goram it is anyway? :ph34r:

Another three points for Alloa today and they look like they are up for the fight . Interesting to note that they have scored the same amount of goals as us although have played one more game . The looming game at Recreation Park could well be a good one . It will be interesting to see how they approach the game . They could well attack more , being the home team and the onus on them to do this but we will relish that

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Another three points for Alloa today and they look like they are up for the fight . Interesting to note that they have scored the same amount of goals as us although have played one more game . The looming game at Recreation Park could well be a good one . It will be interesting to see how they approach the game . They could well attack more , being the home team and the onus on them to do this but we will relish that

The fact that they're going pretty well must have made the shameful nature of their collapse at Ibrox last week, all the more galling for their fans.

DSC00470.jpg

Everybody entitled to their opinion. I think the mural is great. Better than bricks. Scooter would have had my vote for the man from the latest era but I can understand why Goram - who was still amazing and who raised the profile of the club, like it or not, was included.

Really pleased with Allan Ball's sideburns btw - works of art!

DSC00470.jpg

Everybody entitled to their opinion. I think the mural is great. Better than bricks. Scooter would have had my vote for the man from the latest era but I can understand why Goram - who was still amazing and who raised the profile of the club, like it or not, was included.

Really pleased with Allan Ball's sideburns btw - works of art!

Totally agree on the mural being better than the bricks, which is why I've been falling over myself to say I'm a fan of the idea and that the pictures themselves are well painted. It's easy to criticise the efforts of people to make inprovements and overall, the enterprise deserves praise.

The inclusion of Goram is however, ridiculous for the reasons already outlined.

He was not by any measure "still amazing" - he simply wasn't.

His presence may indeed have raised our profile, but not in a way I appreciated. It really annoyed me when we faced Aberdeen in the Cup and the story ran by red-tops regarded Goram renewing acquaintance with Aberdeen fans who he'd had a rocky relationship with during his Rangers days. That's publicity we don't need. To suggest we do indicates a lack of pride over what we are as a club in our own right.

He was not by any measure "still amazing" - he simply wasn't.

I witnessed several of his shot stoppers home and away, which most keepers of his size wouldn't have made. "simply" is too simple imho. He still had good reflexes and reading of the game. Certainly good enough for the level of football we were at.

I do understand those who are querying the fact that he is in the painting, however; although, personally, I don't feel that strongly about it.