The Queen of the South thread

Record Watch

First one to formally fall today I think. The all time record points total for a season was 67 achieved in the 2001-02 championship season.

Today's win moves us to 69 points and we still have ten games to go!

EDIT - I forgot we've already broken the record for the Latest First League Defeat in a season. We didn't lose our first league game until December 11th. The previous record was November 9th.

We also matched the record for Most Games Unbeaten from the Start of the Season. We were beaten in our 14th League game which matches the 13 game unbeaten start to 1985/86.

Several others remain 'on the radar':

Most points in a season using 2 points for a win - 55 in 85/86 (which was a 39 game season). Our present record equates to 47.

Least goals conceded in a league season - 31 in 1923/24 but that was a 30 game season. 33 in a 38 game season in 74/75 is probably better. Our present total is 16.

Most goals scored in a season - 99 in 1931/32. Best post war is 94 in 1959/60. Present total is 69.

Best goal difference in a season - +45 in 1961/62. Present GD is +53.

Least defeats in a season - 5 in 1932/33. Best post war is 6 in 1950/51. Present total is 1.

Most wins in a season - 24 in 1961/62. Present total is 22.

Record Unbeaten Run in a Season - 16 games in 1950/51. Present record is 12 games.

Record Unbeaten League Run Total - 20 games including the 16 above and adding 4 more to start 1951/52. As above present record is 12 with 10 games left.

Happy to hear of any corrections in the above existing records? I might have missed something or there may be errors in the source data somewhere.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Thats very good Skyline but who do you think should play left back in the final ?----These set of results will never , ever be repeated . Many Queens fans have passed on to the big fella in the sky having never seen any of this but you lucky beggars have !

Record Watch

First one to formally fall today I think. The all time record points total for a season was 67 achieved in the 2001-02 championship season.

Today's win moves us to 69 points and we still have ten games to go!

Several others remain 'on the radar':

Most points in a season using 2 points for a win - 55 in 85/86 (which was a 39 game season). Our present record equates to 47.

Least goals conceded in a league season - 31 in 1923/24 but that was a 30 game season. 33 in a 38 game season in 74/75 is probably better. Our present total is 16.

Most goals scored in a season - 99 in 1931/32. Best post war is 94 in 1959/60. Present total is 69.

Least defeats in a season - 5 in 1932/33. Best post war is 6 in 1950/51. Present total is 1.

Most wins in a season - 24 in 1961/62. Present total is 22.

Happy to hear of any corrections in the above existing records? I might have missed something or there may be errors in the source data somewhere.

Truly staggering. The only one that might be a stretch is goals scored, The others are well within reach.

It's worth a fuller discussion when all done and dusted, but despite understanding our advantages, I hadn't for a moment expected this kind of season and the extent of it still kind of baffles me.

That's why when you drive down from Moffat the road sign just after you pass the quarry says 'Locharbriggs', not Dumfries.

This is wrong SD.

The sign says welcome to DUMFRIES. Then underneath it says Locharbriggs and Heathhall.

Edited by happysouth

This is wrong SD.

The sign says welcome to DUMFRIES. underneath that it says Locharbriggs and Heathhall.

Oh aye, meant to acknowledge that yesterday as I actually made a point of driving to look after Stu said it was the case. I'd never noticed the change. Must have been relatively recently? It certainly used to be as I suggested all my days of growing up and I'd be fairly sure it was like that within the last few years. The "Welcome to the university town of Dumfries, Queen of the South" sign was certainly inside Banatyne's after the Cup Final in 2008.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Oh aye, meant to acknowledge that yesterday as I actually made a point of driving to look after Stu said it was the case. I'd never regsitered the change. Must have been relatively recently? It certainly used to be as I suggested all my days of growing up and I'd be fiarly sure it was like that within the last few years. The "Welcome to the university town of Dumfries, Queen of the South" sign was certainly inside Banatyne's after the Cup Final in 2008.

Isnt that sign there as well?

Thats very good Skyline but who do you think should play left back in the final ?----These set of results will never , ever be repeated . Many Queens fans have passed on to the big fella in the sky having never seen any of this but you lucky beggars have !

I agree with you, I haven't gotten bored of being so dominant this year, You do sometimes have to step back and appreciate how good this team is.

I think that with staying full time I secretly hoped we would win the league, but in all honesty would probably have settled for a playoff place.

I don't think that even the most optimistic foresaw what would happen this season, and yes, it is to be savoured!

I think that with staying full time I secretly hoped we would win the league, but in all honesty would probably have settled for a playoff place.

I don't think that even the most optimistic foresaw what would happen this season, and yes, it is to be savoured!

It is to be savoured - you're right.

I'm a bit bored with it though. I honestly wouldn't want to spend many more seasons where wins are greeted with a nod of acceptance.

I'm a bit bored with it though. I honestly wouldn't want to spend many more seasons where wins are greeted with a nod of acceptance.

If it was happening season after season I would agree, however I think it is exactly the antidote we needed after last season and gives us something to build upon. The feel good factor has returned.

If it was happening season after season I would agree, however I think it is exactly the antidote we needed after last season and gives us something to build upon. The feel good factor has returned.

Spot on. I`ve never known a season like it in 40+ years of watching QOS. Absolutely to be savoured.

I thought we played some great stuff today

I'm a bit bored with it though. I honestly wouldn't want to spend many more seasons where wins are greeted with a nod of acceptance.[/quote I know what you mean. I was working today and when the full time result came in , my first thought was that East Fife had done well to score two goals. This is not right !

I was working today and when the full time result came in , my first thought was that East Fife had done well to score two goals. This is not right !

It's not wrong. Let's all embrace it, before it is just a memory.

Guest Flash

I must admit, I never get bored of winning.

I certainly prefer it to last season when defeat was greeted with a nod of acceptance by the players.

We've made history today by hitting our highest ever points total, but with Sportscene on in the background I've just realised that 5 years ago this weekend we also made modern QoS history with a quarter final Scottish Cup victory against Dundee for our first semi final in the competition for over 50 years and Ryan McCann made history with a goal from 84 yards from an outfield player!

We've made history today by hitting our highest ever points total, but with Sportscene on in the background I've just realised that 5 years ago this weekend we also made modern QoS history with a quarter final Scottish Cup victory against Dundee for our first semi final in the competition for over 50 years and Ryan McCann made history with a goal from 84 yards from an outfield player!

Oh yes! :thumsup2

Whenever I even contemplate switching off as regards this season. I think of the one before.I think of the thought of dread, the horror of having to watch the most awfull brand of football I have witnessed at Palmerston.The "hope" of scraping a point in the most shitiest game ,worse than the week before.Was it that bad ? Without doubt it was.McPherson was responsible and it was shite .

I want to be entertained.This season is some of the best football I have seen at Palmerston in years.