The Queen of the South thread

8 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

I’m confused. Daily Record rumour that Paul McKay who is a free agent after being released by Queens might be signing for them. Surely a mistake as contracted til May 2024. Do they know something we don’t or are they inept, as usual? 

It's Dave McKay that is signing for them. 

Can only assume that Mimnaugh has been signed as a back-up option to cover when Cochrane, Todd or Wilson inevitably get injured.

To be honest, central midfield is probably where we were strongest even before he signed.  With the squad places now filling up I just hope that Marvin is leaving room for a couple of proven goalscorers.  Connelly may bag a few if played in the correct position, but if we're relying on Doherty, Irving & Reilly for goals we're in big trouble. 

1 minute ago, Slipmat said:

Can only assume that Mimnaugh has been signed as a back-up option to cover when Cochrane, Todd or Wilson inevitably get injured.

To be honest, central midfield is probably where we were strongest even before he signed.  With the squad places now filling up I just hope that Marvin is leaving room for a couple of proven goalscorers.  Connelly may bag a few if played in the correct position, but if we're relying on Doherty, Irving & Reilly for goals we're in big trouble. 

I'm actually quite nervous about the next striker to come in. As you say, those 3 aren't going to fire us to promotion so this next one is surely going to be massive in terms of how well we do next season. 

1 hour ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Bit surprised we haven’t brought anybody up from down south yet. 

Majority of players down south still be on holiday plus they get paid until end of July down there.

2 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Yep, Marvin will know that those three won't go through a season without absences so it looks as though he's building some squad cover there.

1 hour ago, Vegetableman said:

seems we have swapped Church for your Dave McKay although different positions 

will be interesting to see who benefits most 

I would be absolutely flabbergasted if it’s Alloa, Daniel Church would have to be awful to out do the performances of Dave McKay last season. 
Maybe it was just a bad fit at Queens and he will be fine at Alloa like he was at Raith but I can’t imagine the move to part time football is going to eek out any improvement from him. One plus is he won’t have Ciaran Mckenna next to him unless you are planning a double raid 🤪

Edited by Broony88

10 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

I would be absolutely flabbergasted if it’s Alloa, Daniel Church would have to be awful to out do the performances of Dave McKay last season. 
Maybe it was just a bad fit at Queens and he will be fine at Alloa like he was at Raith but I can’t imagine the move to part time football is going to eek out any improvement from him. One plus is he won’t have Ciaran Mckenna next to him unless you are planning a double raid 🤪

hopefully we get the raith version , might just be backup at alloa  but we have history of turning freed players into decent signings .

I'm maybe in the minority but I didn't think McKay was that bad. I was happy to see him go and we'll have better defenders in the future but I won't think back on his time with us as one of the worst CBs we ever had (though arguably one of the worst defences we've had in recent times). I just thought he was meh. 

27 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm maybe in the minority but I didn't think McKay was that bad. I was happy to see him go and we'll have better defenders in the future but I won't think back on his time with us as one of the worst CBs we ever had (though arguably one of the worst defences we've had in recent times). I just thought he was meh. 

Agree, he is just an average League 1 defender that the division is peppered with. He's no stand out but he'll do a job with the right people around him. 

I thought overall he was one of the worst performers in the dreadful defence we had pre Jack Brydon. He was the poorest player on the pitch at the 5-2 defeat to Falkirk just before Christmas. Surprised he’s got another gig at a League 1 club to be honest. 

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Does Mimnaugh mean you're pretty set for central midfielders? Been rumours that our Finlay Gray is a bit upset we blocked a move to you boys so I'm hoping that ends your interest until next summer. 

I'm assuming Mimnaugh is a CM? I'd be surprised if we bring any more in certainly if that's the case.