The Queen of the South thread

6 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

The Record seems to think we're signing him now.

Assuming based on that goal scoring record he was a big player for you last season.

Is he ready to make the step up?

I have my doubts about him. His goal tally with us could have at least had another 7/8 on with the amount of sitters he missed. But you can obviously look at that two ways, either the positive spin that he’s always in position for those chances or he’s just not clinical enough.

I thought the same about Connor Shields when he moved up a level after a year with us, I think in an ideal world he plays another season at League One before making the next step, after all time is on his side with him still only being 22.

2 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

I have my doubts about him. His goal tally with us could have at least had another 7/8 on with the amount of sitters he missed. But you can obviously look at that two ways, either the positive spin that he’s always in position for those chances or he’s just not clinical enough.

I thought the same about Connor Shields when he moved up a level after a year with us, I think in an ideal world he plays another season at League One before making the next step, after all time is on his side with him still only being 22.

Cheers for that. He seems to fit the bill for most of our rumoured signings; young, so plenty room for development, but at least he's proven he can find the back of the net, even if he misses quite a lot of chances.

I don't know much about how you set up last season obviously but we tended to play one up front with two wingers off him, and apparently our new manager favours a 3-4-3 so hopefully guys like Dom Thomas can help create plenty for him.

Well worth a shot I'd say!

13 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Sounds like an absolute replica description of Simon Murray as a footballer. Here’s hoping if he joins he has a similar impact! 

29 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Sounds like an absolute replica description of Simon Murray as a footballer. Here’s hoping if he joins he has a similar impact! 

Nah Paton is decent... 

Think a move to a Championship side would be the best move for him if only for a year. If he goes to the top flight and it doesn't work out he'll need to 'start again' basically. Whereas if he goes to yourselves and gets double figures he'll surely receive even better offers than he has the now. I think if given service he'll certainly hit double figure in the Championship. 

The only good thing about Paton leaving is we will get a fee.

Hopefully we get a decent amount would be  hoping for around £50,000 plus % of any future transfer fee .

As for Paton he has to grab the money now might never get offered such a good contract again.

Best of luck to him now to try and sign a quality replacement over to you Marvin.

13 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Hopefully we get a decent amount would be  hoping for around £50,000 plus % of any future transfer fee .

As for Paton he has to grab the money now might never get offered such a good contract again.

Best of luck to him now to try and sign a quality replacement over to you Marvin.

I very much doubt we’ll get anything near £50k!

13 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Isn't he out of contract? In that case it'd just be a development fee with no sell on clause or anything like that.

Just now, Zanetti said:

Isn't he out of contract? In that case it'd just be a development fee with no sell on clause or anything like that.

It is just  a development fee but that can be anything maybe a bit ambitious saying  £50,000 but money is something Queens Park will never be short of .

Right enough you can't a % of any future fee .

3 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Cheers for that. He seems to fit the bill for most of our rumoured signings; young, so plenty room for development, but at least he's proven he can find the back of the net, even if he misses quite a lot of chances.

I don't know much about how you set up last season obviously but we tended to play one up front with two wingers off him, and apparently our new manager favours a 3-4-3 so hopefully guys like Dom Thomas can help create plenty for him.

Well worth a shot I'd say!

We ended the season in a 3-5-2 with a wingback/winger partnering him upfront, so I think he’d be fine. We were pretty terrible last year so I’d imagine if you are like the team you were last year he will score you goals.

15 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

A big loss. Wonder what we'll get, maybe £10/15k?

Tough to replace. 

I would hope we got more than that but whatever we got better than nothing .

Paton had to go might never get offered such a good contract again.

Over to you Marvin to get a replacement as good right now we have no goals in the team .

15 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

And the returning Reilly. Like a new signing. 

Do you honestly want Reilly as our first choice striker. Docherty and Irving are not good enough. I take it MB must have another one at least coming in. As we all expect Reilly to move on. 

1 minute ago, Manwithnoball said:

Do you honestly want Reilly as our first choice striker. Docherty and Irving are not good enough. I take it MB must have another one at least coming in. As we all expect Reilly to move on. 

Can't say I'm expecting Reilly to move on at this point tbh. I just assumed if he was he'd have been gone by now. Unless of course they're trying to negotiate his release. 

18 minutes ago, Queens1919 said:

Disappointing move for him.

I honestly think it is a sensible move for career progression rather than jumping straight to premiership. Connor Shields done it and he ended down at QP on loan. If he scores 15-20 goals in championship then can take next step plus QP paying good money if rumours are true. Heard we got £15k for him. 

35 minutes ago, Queens1919 said:

Disappointing move for him.

It's the perfect move for him. We have some of the best coaches and facilities in Scotland, he'll be on a decent wage, he's going to get a game every week (which wouldn't be the case if he jumped straight to the Premiership) and he gets to live in Glasgow.