The Queen of the South thread

Queens got themselves in deep trouble by giving two year contracts to players in the past. In the present economic climate in scottish football one year contracts are the only sensible way to manage the clubs finances.

Normally, I would agree. But if a two year contract is the only stumbling block to getting Higgins signed up, then I would say do it.

Pleased with Paton staying too :)

Queens didn't get themselves into trouble simply by giving out two year contracts. They got themselves into trouble by over paying players and basing their potential income on a ludicrously high average attendance figure. A two year contract at a decent rate would be fine.

Out of interest, does anyone know if these one year contracts come with a signing on fee?

and "special cases" do not do much for team unity and spirit. As said , he should take a year and then take another if offered at the end of it . Also , a year contract gives him more freedom if he fancies a move next summer and is not tied in for another season.

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Pie & Bovril mobile app

There were many significant individual contributions by different players last season. And when did wearing a captains armband stand a player out from the rest. There were a few captains in last seasons squad.

There are several players in the squad who I would have no problem with giving 2 year deals to based on last season.

In what way does the club captain not stand out from the rest??

and "special cases" do not do much for team unity and spirit. As said , he should take a year and then take another if offered at the end of it . Also , a year contract gives him more freedom if he fancies a move next summer and is not tied in for another season.

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Every player is, in a way, a 'special case'. Some will be paid more than others. Some may have been offered deals for next season before others. Pretty sure when Burns signed it was a one year deal with the option of a second year, which was taken up. Didnt see that do much harm to team unity.

Queens didn't get themselves into trouble simply by giving out two year contracts. They got themselves into trouble by over paying players and basing their potential income on a ludicrously high average attendance figure. A two year contract at a decent rate would be fine.

Out of interest, does anyone know if these one year contracts come with a signing on fee?

That was clearly true. My concern is that players will be offered enhanced contracts compared to last season and two year contracts would be possibly repeating the mistakes of the past.

Lets face it average attendance's next season are unlikely to be massively bigger than this.

That was clearly true. My concern is that players will be offered enhanced contracts compared to last season and two year contracts would be possibly repeating the mistakes of the past.

Lets face it average attendance's next season are unlikely to be massively bigger than this.

I think it's a case of "once bitten..". I'm sure the current Board have learned from the mistakes of the recent past and won't fall into that hole again.

Was Higgins sufficiently outstanding when we were in the First to merit a two year deal now? No, imo.

Fair point, although you could argue that he was often played out of position. You could say the same about Nicky Clark, for example. Would anyone be objecting if there was a chance he would re-sign but only on a two year deal?

Higgins is the club captain and was one of the most important players this season. Plus, the fact that Durnan has already signed and the two were an outstanding partnership makes it a no-brainer for me.

Guest Flash

Fair point, although you could argue that he was often played out of position. You could say the same about Nicky Clark, for example. Would anyone be objecting if there was a chance he would re-sign but only on a two year deal?

Higgins is the club captain and was one of the most important players this season. Plus, the fact that Durnan has already signed and the two were an outstanding partnership makes it a no-brainer for me.

He wasn't always played out of position whereas Nicky Clark pretty much always played on the right. Also, in a team that never attacked, it was difficult for a forward player to shine. And Clark was a young player who could improve, whereas Higgins isn't.

They may have been an outstanding partnership last season, but we haven't seeen enough of them against First Division opposition to know how they will get on facing better teams week to week. For me, Higgins isn't that outstanding at First Division level to merit special treatment. If he signs for a year, then good. If he doesn't, then thanks and cheerio.

If the only way of keeping Higgins is on a two year deal, then we give him a 2 year deal. Simple as that. There are a few players in our squad who I'd happily commit to longer deals, some I wouldn't.

He wasn't always played out of position whereas Nicky Clark pretty much always played on the right. Also, in a team that never attacked, it was difficult for a forward player to shine. And Clark was a young player who could improve, whereas Higgins isn't.

They may have been an outstanding partnership last season, but we haven't seeen enough of them against First Division opposition to know how they will get on facing better teams week to week. For me, Higgins isn't that outstanding at First Division level to merit special treatment. If he signs for a year, then good. If he doesn't, then thanks and cheerio.

So Higgins wasnt always played out of position and Clark wasnt always played out of position either? ;)

You could also argue that in a team defending so much and under so much pressure its harder for a defender to "shine".

Your point about not seeing Higgins and Durnan against 1st div teams is fair enough, however, I would rather go into the season with that partnership than one thats a complete unknown.

Guest Flash

So Higgins wasnt always played out of position and Clark wasnt always played out of position either? ;)

You could also argue that in a team defending so much and under so much pressure its harder for a defender to "shine".

Your point about not seeing Higgins and Durnan against 1st div teams is fair enough, however, I would rather go into the season with that partnership than one thats a complete unknown.

It is also possible to argue that it was easier for Higgins to shine in the Second because the defence didn't have that much to do.

I would also rather go into the season with a known partnership than an unknown one. But the point is whether Higgins is worth making a special case for compared to everybody else. And, based on what I saw of him in the First Division, I don't think he is.

I'm not saying he's not worth keeping, just that he isn't that good to deserve special treatment. If he can get a two year deal elsewhere, then good luck to him.

Queen of the South

Goalkeepers

Jim Atkinson (18)

Defenders

Mark Durnan (20)

Kevin Holt (20)

Ryan McGuffie (33)

Chris Mitchell (25)

Midfielders

Paul Burns (29)

Daniel Carmichael (23)

Allan Johnston (39)

Stephen McKenna (27)

Daniel Orsi (21)

Michael Paton (24)

Pat Slattery (20)

Forwards

Gavin Reilly (20)

Iain Russell (30)

Ages at 1st August 2013

Edited to add Ryan McGuffie to the squad.

It is also possible to argue that it was easier for Higgins to shine in the Second because the defence didn't have that much to do.

I would also rather go into the season with a known partnership than an unknown one. But the point is whether Higgins is worth making a special case for compared to everybody else. And, based on what I saw of him in the First Division, I don't think he is.

I'm not saying he's not worth keeping, just that he isn't that good to deserve special treatment. If he can get a two year deal elsewhere, then good luck to him.

I dont see it as being a particularly "special case", though.

Is it really that much different to player 1 asking for £x a week more than player 2?