The Queen of the South thread

I'm deciding to remain positive and the positive here is Stewart will undoubtedly be shite and therefore dropped fairly early. It'll finally give Cowie his chance and IMO he's ready for first team action so hopefully this signing is the break Cowie has needed. 

4 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Sure queens will sign another goalkeeper can't just go with Stewart and the injured young Cowie.

Be surprised if we bring in 3 goalkeepers* if we're running with a squad of 20. Cowie is a year younger than Stone was for the majority of the season so I'm not seeing him as a youth player. If he isn't good enough to feature now (which IMO he is) then he shouldn't have been given a contract. 

* Of course this may change in January. 

Not wanting to board a bandwagon, but it does look a concerning signing.

Even leaving aside his spell with us, he's always looked vulnerable when I've seen him for Thistle on TV.  I obviously hope he does well for us and will give him every chance.   It does seem a funny one though.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

He can’t be that bad surely? 
Is this not a bit of an overreaction?

He is.  It's not.

4 hours ago, qos_75 said:

I wonder who the marquee signing will be that they teased us with on Friday.

Maybe there has been a misunderstanding and it is Rod Stewart  instead of Ross Stewart. 

Maybe, in anticipation of the big crowds rolling back in, we're buying an actual marquee to provide temporary cover at the Terregles Street end.

Posted (edited)

Ross Stewart's really going to come in full of the confidence a goalkeeper needs if he's reading this. He hasn't made the grade at the 2 or 3 Premier League sides who thought he was worth giving a try, doesn't mean he isn't good enough for league 1.  Last time round he came into a team in free-fall to replace a future Scotland squad player, but it was 5 years ago, players can improve in that time. 

Edited by Biblemaster

1 minute ago, Biblemaster said:

Ross Stewart's really going to come in full of the confidence a goalkeeper needs if he's reading this. He hasn't made the grade at the 3 or 3 Premier League sides who thought he was worth giving a try, doesn't mean he isn't good enough for league 1.  Last time round he came into a team in free-fall to replace a future Scotland squad player, but it was 5 years ago, players can improve in that time. 

He can't have improved much if he's dropping down the divisions, can he?

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

He is a really good laugh to watch

First take on watching  those highlights ... two dodgy keepers, but strangely the Ayr keeper looked at least as poor - don't know what he was doing for the first Thistle goal, he seemed rooted to the spot whilst the ball took an age to find the net,  wasn't great for any of the Thistle goals.

I get that first time around Stewart wasn't great with us, but on the plus side at least its not a 2 year deal like we've dished out for some proper duds in the past.  So I'm going to park my judgement for the time being and see how his first few games go.  I'm sure that players (or at least some of their pals) will dip into P&B club threads now and again and so the negative feedback is bound to get back to Stewart and God knows, of all the positions on the park it's the goalie's position that needs the most confidence.  So I'm not gonna set out knocking the lad straightaway.

On the subject of our keepers - does anyone know what the injury was that has been keeping Cowie out for so long?

4 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

First take on watching  those highlights ... two dodgy keepers, but strangely the Ayr keeper looked at least as poor - don't know what he was doing for the first Thistle goal, he seemed rooted to the spot whilst the ball took an age to find the net,  wasn't great for any of the Thistle goals.

Yeah agree, he was good for us in the end but initially he was a concern (that's his second game).  Think he's just too short to deal with crosses. 

I make that 2 keepers, 4 defenders, 6 midfielders and 2 (kind of) strikers so far ... think we need to see some action up front next.

Just now, itzdrk said:

Yeah agree, he was good for us in the end but initially he was a concern (that's his second game).  Think he's just too short to deal with crosses. 

Aye, I think it was the second Thistle goal where I thought surely he could have come and claimed that ball ... but then the camera angles can be deceiving.

14 minutes ago, Biblemaster said:

Ross Stewart's really going to come in full of the confidence a goalkeeper needs if he's reading this. He hasn't made the grade at the 2 or 3 Premier League sides who thought he was worth giving a try, doesn't mean he isn't good enough for league 1.  Last time round he came into a team in free-fall to replace a future Scotland squad player, but it was 5 years ago, players can improve in that time. 

If his confidence is shot looking at a football message board then it's an even worse signing than I thought. It was 5 years ago and he's racked up about 12 games since that time. Kind of says it all. Dress it up any way you want, it's an awful signing. Cowie will feature more than him this season, calling it (and praying for it) now. 

17 minutes ago, Biblemaster said:

Ross Stewart's really going to come in full of the confidence a goalkeeper needs if he's reading this. 

This.

3 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I make that 2 keepers, 4 defenders, 6 midfielders and 2 (kind of) strikers so far ... think we need to see some action up front next.

If, and I know it's unlikely, but if Connelly, Gibson, McGuffie, Mimnaugh, Currie & Ross were all to re-sign, that would fill the 20 squad places that we are supposedly running with.

1 minute ago, Slipmat said:

If, and I know it's unlikely, but if Connelly, Gibson, McGuffie, Mimnaugh, Currie & Ross were all to re-sign, that would fill the 20 squad places that we are supposedly running with.

Aye, fair point - but as you say, we'll not land all six of them.  However, that might not be bad - you never know, we might get one or two (hopefully pleasant) surprises in the six.  I'm staying in positive mode here.

6 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Currie's left.