The Queen of the South thread

Like everybody else I think we need need a forward. I suggested Bobby Wales on loan but most likely will get a  Championship gig! Thought we played well yesterday, Niall mistake for goal but he’ll learn from that. 

also interesting to see that Douglas was captain yesterday. 

anyways roll on Aberdeen next week! 

Perhaps I don't have a grasp of reality any more but Bobby Wales is being touted for moves to the Serie A and the English Championship if not the Killie first team yet there are more than a few with the faint hope of him pissing League 1 again next season. Am I missing something?

20 minutes ago, 84yards said:

Like everybody else I think we need need a forward. I suggested Bobby Wales on loan but most likely will get a  Championship gig! Thought we played well yesterday, Niall mistake for goal but he’ll learn from that. 

also interesting to see that Douglas was captain yesterday. 

anyways roll on Aberdeen next week! 

Niall has performed well, albeit with a two mistakes leading to goals but as has been said there mistakes he will learn from. He looks good on ball and in the main has defended well. He needs to bulk up though. It’ll make a significant difference to him. 

As for a striker being priority, I think the last 3/4 signings Murphy wants to make are priority. If we add quality onto what’s already there we are in good shape. Another commanding centre half is as important as a striker for me, espiexiallh with injury prone Brydon in squad 

Looking at the squad list thread it seems that every club, apart from maybe Montrose, is in desperate need of forwards.  Dumbarton have one in Michael Ruth, Kelty don't have any.  Arbroath have 2 good forwards but no back up.  I'm not sure if it's a case of everyone hanging on until higher level clubs make players available for loan, or if it is more to do with the state of coaching in the UK these days where the priority is an having organised defence over everything else. 

From watching the Euros, Scotland and England in particular, strikers barely get a touch of the ball now compared to yesteryear because it's one up front, all about keeping possession, pressing or moving the ball from side to side.  No players seem to make runs now for fear of incurring the manager's wrath for ending up out of position so near enough stand still when they should be trying to get into spaces.  As Michael Spicer said in his recent Gareth Southgate piss-take video, "we have plenty of forward thinking, attacking players, but we'll soon coach that out of them".

No wonder clubs at this level are having difficulty in recruiting forwards.

Has Leighton McIntosh not been playing? I still can’t believe he’s committed to two days minimum driving from Dundee to Dumfries each week. 

I think we must be looking to go with loans to fill our squad. I hope we sign Aidan McAdams as another keeper and then after that I think we will have 3 loans 2 of which will be striker / striker slash winger 

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Perhaps I don't have a grasp of reality any more but Bobby Wales is being touted for moves to the Serie A and the English Championship if not the Killie first team yet there are more than a few with the faint hope of him pissing League 1 again next season. Am I missing something?

I don't think he's that near the Killie first team, I wish he was. If he signed for a Serie A team he wouldn't be going straight into the first team. I think he has potential for sure, and would expect him to get a loan in the (Scottish, to be clear) Championship, but arguably a team at the top of L1, where he would be expected to score regularly, might not be such a bad idea.

Oh I see it has been reported by local journalist Ewan Maxwell that Matt Douglas is our new captain.

Quite glad about that not going to lie. Don’t think Cochrane is captain material (yet). 

I agree with above poster Bobby Wales not going to get a look in at Kilmarnock. Another season in L1 or move up to Championship. Hopefully we can get him in. I would sprint to the bookies to put us on to win the league if we do get him! 

What was the attendance for the Clyde friendly? Certainly felt like there were less people there yesterday. Definitely fewer feckin gulls until just after half-time.

Bobby Wales had the chance of going to the Championship in January but asked to come back to Alloa, which worked out very well for him and us. If he was indeed coming back to League One I suspect we'd be very well placed to get him. But in reality I'd be astonished if it happened, if he's going out on loan again it should be the level above (where there would be plenty of takers). 

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I think he has potential for sure, and would expect him to get a loan in the (Scottish, to be clear) Championship, but arguably a team at the top of L1, where he would be expected to score regularly, might not be such a bad idea.

Yeah that bit might be a problem.

6 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Has Leighton McIntosh not been playing? I still can’t believe he’s committed to two days minimum driving from Dundee to Dumfries each week. 

I think we must be looking to go with loans to fill our squad. I hope we sign Aidan McAdams as another keeper and then after that I think we will have 3 loans 2 of which will be striker / striker slash winger 

He started on Saturday. He didn't look poor and I thought he held the ball up well and his link up play was good at times. He never looked like scoring though but in his defence, he never really had any opportunities to score (that I can recall). If he can link up with McKechnie/Kennedy hopefully it'll lead to goals. 

I still think we need someone who can chip in with 10 or so goals up top (don't we all?) for us to be serious contenders. I expect we'll be in the same market as yourselves. 

6 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Looking at the squad list thread it seems that every club, apart from maybe Montrose, is in desperate need of forwards.  Dumbarton have one in Michael Ruth, Kelty don't have any.  Arbroath have 2 good forwards but no back up.  I'm not sure if it's a case of everyone hanging on until higher level clubs make players available for loan, or if it is more to do with the state of coaching in the UK these days where the priority is an having organised defence over everything else. 

From watching the Euros, Scotland and England in particular, strikers barely get a touch of the ball now compared to yesteryear because it's one up front, all about keeping possession, pressing or moving the ball from side to side.  No players seem to make runs now for fear of incurring the manager's wrath for ending up out of position so near enough stand still when they should be trying to get into spaces.  As Michael Spicer said in his recent Gareth Southgate piss-take video, "we have plenty of forward thinking, attacking players, but we'll soon coach that out of them".

No wonder clubs at this level are having difficulty in recruiting forwards.

Agree totally on the subject of lone strikers. Thankless task up front on your own....................7/8 touches a game if they are lucky.

Euros have been a poor watch - aimless possession in midfield, hardly any shots or goal mouth action. 

Usually switch off until the penalties.

Murphy saying that Thomson, McLinden and Ross have been offered 2 year deals and although Bryson, Oram and Meagher can stay they are unlikely to get opportunities so are free to leave should they wish to do so.  Shame about Oram, who always looked a better prospect than Johnstone in my opinion on the odd occasion I saw them play for the reserves.

13 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Murphy saying that Thomson, McLinden and Ross have been offered 2 year deals and although Bryson, Oram and Meagher can stay they are unlikely to get opportunities so are free to leave should they wish to do so.  Shame about Oram, who always looked a better prospect than Johnstone in my opinion on the odd occasion I saw them play for the reserves.

I’d agree a couple of years ago, but Johnstone looked more than capable last season. And performances in pre season have gone up another level. 

13 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

I rated Oram in the reserves. Has anybody seen McLinden play? 

15 minutes ago, Mulberryblue said:

I rated Oram in the reserves. Has anybody seen McLinden play? 

Only for 10 minutes or so on Saturday. Far too early to judge but given his age and physique I'd imagine he'll be loaned out this season. 

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Only for 10 minutes or so on Saturday. Far too early to judge but given his age and physique I'd imagine he'll be loaned out this season. 

How old is he?

6 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Always dangerous giving your Chairman’s son a contract…if it fails then claims of nepotism and if succeeds a lot of pressure on the boy. I can’t comment on his ability as haven’t seen him play. 

2 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

Always dangerous giving your Chairman’s son a contract…if it fails then claims of nepotism and if succeeds a lot of pressure on the boy. I can’t comment on his ability as haven’t seen him play. 

Not sure that applies in this case, given that the son’s presence at the club is what brought the director on board.