The Queen of the South thread

There was a season in the mid 60s when Liverpool won the English League under Bill Shankly and he used only 14 players throughout the whole season.  It's amazing to think that nowadays, despite all the advances in technological assessment of a player's heartrate, hydration, blood pressure, speed, muscle strength, nutrition and diet, not to mention the fact that physical contact with opponents and "meaty" tackling have been all but banned from the game how many players get injured so easily.  What on earth is going on these days in football when in the space of a week we lose five players to new injuries that prevented them from even getting a place the bench last night?

Lyon was a standout last night, just looks a level above. 

As demonstrated by the squad last night, we’re going to get absolutely shafted over the course of the season unless we get very lucky with injuries. How many more has Murphy said is to come in, is it only 2? 

For me, I’d say we could do with another 5. Two centre halfs (ideally one who could cover left back given who knows how long Church will be out for). Dickenson done well at centre back last night but doubt he signed expecting to play centre back and Brydon’s recent injury record is dire. Right back, there’s only Hewitt there. A central midfielder, even just as cover or competition. And ideally a versatile forward player. Early days and I don’t want to be overly harsh, but the younger players I don’t think are there yet. And players like Cochrane and McKechnie need to improve -  no evidence either can be relied upon. 

7 minutes ago, JK_Queens said:

As demonstrated by the squad last night, we’re going to get absolutely shafted over the course of the season unless we get very lucky with injuries. How many more has Murphy said is to come in, is it only 2? 

For me, I’d say we could do with another 5. Two centre halfs (ideally one who could cover left back given who knows how long Church will be out for). Dickenson done well at centre back last night but doubt he signed expecting to play centre back and Brydon’s recent injury record is dire. Right back, there’s only Hewitt there. A central midfielder, even just as cover or competition. And ideally a versatile forward player. Early days and I don’t want to be overly harsh, but the younger players I don’t think are there yet. And players like Cochrane and McKechnie need to improve -  no evidence either can be relied upon. 

In his post match remarks, as an aside I enjoy how calm and measured he is - long may that continue - he talked about another couple.

Idea of five signings is a bit optimistic. 

He also said Brydon back in training and Church not far off. Other injuries, Kennedy, Doherty and Macintosh, sound like wee bumps rather than anything too concerning. 

35 minutes ago, JK_Queens said:

He said 2/3 still to come, that’s plenty. Anymore we’re verging on MB size of squad. Players could’ve been risked last night, I’m glad they weren’t sounds like some will be okay for Saturday. Arbroath in a similar situation if not worse and got another 3 injuries. 

For all we can say there was this and that missing. It was great to see us give minutes to Josh Walker, Euan Ross, Ben Johnstone and Niall Rogerson getting 10/15 mins at the end. 

We definitely need one defender and one striker. We currently are playing with a Right back and if we carry on in similar shape don’t see the need to get another, we’ve ample cover for wing back in Hewitt himself, Doherty, Mckechnie and Ross. 

Actually thought Cochrane has been competing well, no doubt could sharpen up in possession. Not a massive fan but he’s done alright. McKechnie I’m not a fan of, really had to be taken chance in first minute. Stewart for all his criticisms dealt with everything well, will help his confidence. Back 3 again pretty comfortable, like everyone I’d like to see dickenson higher but not sure where he fits in the current shape, Hewitt hasn’t put a foot wrong and Matty Douglas is a proper captain. Makeshift midfield competed reasonably well, Lyon an absolute standout. Wing backs McIntyre excellent again, Ross stuck to task well for someone who hadn’t played there until pre season, technically the kids got bags of ability just finding his role. Walker I thought showed flashes of his ability, enough that I think he’ll be an asset over the course of season. Upfront was lacking, maybe a bit of a thankless task but the out ball to Mckechnie never worked and was half our bother for first 25/30 mins. All this with who was arguably every single one could be considered a starter

We were never going to go there and dominate, even with East Kilbrides results, they’re a good side, their budget will be bigger than ours. I feared the worst when we turned up and saw that line up, but we weathered the storm so to speak and were pretty comfortable. I think both teams will think they should’ve scored more. Just glad we’ve got out of it with what looked like no more injuries. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Slipmat said:

There was a season in the mid 60s when Liverpool won the English League under Bill Shankly and he used only 14 players throughout the whole season.  It's amazing to think that nowadays, despite all the advances in technological assessment of a player's heartrate, hydration, blood pressure, speed, muscle strength, nutrition and diet, not to mention the fact that physical contact with opponents and "meaty" tackling have been all but banned from the game how many players get injured so easily.  What on earth is going on these days in football when in the space of a week we lose five players to new injuries that prevented them from even getting a place the bench last night?

You could look it another way.

Back in those days a lot of injuries wouldn’t have been picked up by the ‘medical team’.  So players would get on with it, so to speak(I am sure Fergie had Aberdeen players taking a dip in the North Sea to cure knocks. Most didn’t fancy that,  so didn’t mention they were injured). 

If players  weren’t playing they wouldn’t be getting appearance money/win bonus etc. Often they would play with an injury, in some cases not disclosing it. In other cases taking all manner of pain killers to get through a game.

The late, great, Bally played on for Queens against Ayr with a broken ankle.  Probably the magic sponge was all the treatment he would have received during the game. 

Player welfare has changed a lot since the 60s and 70s. More things are being spotted and diagnosed now than would ever have happened 30 or 40 years ago. 

Edited by qos_75

5 hours ago, Homer Thompson said:

Who was poor? You said three players were "ordinary". 

I'm not really sure what your point is. We didn't play particularly well (although half the team managed to "stand out"), but scored three goals and won with about as makeshift a team as I think I've ever seen. 

You're saying the severely weakened team we put out won't be good enough and we need players back from injury? 

Is that it? 

Yes. And forwards in. I was being charitable in case of being accused of negativity. I thought McKechnie was poor and the non stand outs ordinary, the young kids did ok but not really at league 1 first team level yet. 

2 hours ago, qos_75 said:

... The late, great, Bally played on for Queens against Ayr with a broken arm.  Probably the magic sponge was all the treatment he would have received during the game ...

Was that the 2-2 cup tie at Somerset (prior to the famous 5-4 replay at Palmy)? My recollection (aye, I know ...) was that he broke his ankle (and still managed to save a penalty) but kept going as there was no sub goalie back then. Some guy ... proper Legend! 👍👌

These days players are yelling before the contact.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Was that the 2-2 cup tie at Somerset (prior to the famous 5-4 replay at Palmy)? My recollection (aye, I know ...) was that he broke his ankle (and still managed to save a penalty) but kept going as there was no sub goalie back then. Some guy ... proper Legend! 👍👌

5-4 Ayr game my second favourite ever only behind the Aberdeen semi. Oh for Peter Dickson and Ian Reid in their prime up front for us now…..

1 hour ago, HighlandQueen said:

5-4 Ayr game my second favourite ever only behind the Aberdeen semi. Oh for Peter Dickson and Ian Reid in their prime up front for us now…..

Indeed. Dickson was lightening quick and Reid just oozed class. Great players.

I was a student in Glasgow then. Got down to Somerset for the first game (which was also a belter at 2-2) on the Saturday but couldn't get down for the replay mid week much to my huge frustration. Back then it was really difficult to get updates and had an agonising wait for the final score coming through on the radio. That was a good top league Ayr side back then too.

3 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

You’re right, it was his ankle that he broke. Unbelievable, when you think about it. He was a great man. 

My first sight of Queens this season at EK although I use the word "sight" very loosely from that horrendous vantage point behind the goal. Have to agree with Slipmat -the Authorities surely have to establish a sensible ground entry criteria for teams aspiring to play League football or we will see an influx of these three step terraces with no regard being paid to the visiting spectator or the home supporter for that matter.

Having seen the team, the lack of subs and the first 30 minutes of the match I must admit that I had largely resigned myself to a sobering defeat. Football never ceases to be unpredictable - 3 well taken goals in a 5 minute spell certainly lifted the spirits. Over past few seasons we have been dreadful at trying to win matches when playing poorly but this certainly bucked the trend.

I must admit that I had fallen into the trap of thinking that EK on the back of losing 13 goals without reply in last two matches might be canon fodder but that was certainly not the case. Thought they were decent - passed the ball better than we did (even with 10 men) and if they had drawn the game nobody could have complained on the balance of play.

Difficult to know what to make of our squad - on the positive I think we have a few potential stalwarts like Lyon, Dickenson, Douglas, Brydon (if ever fit) and Kennedy. A few others have the potential to be solid, Hewitt, McIntosh, MacIntyre and Luissint. Hopefully can strengthen the forward areas.

3 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Difficult to know what to make of our squad - on the positive I think we have a few potential stalwarts like Lyon, Dickenson, Douglas, Brydon (if ever fit) and Kennedy. A few others have the potential to be solid, Hewitt, McIntosh, MacIntyre and Luissint. Hopefully can strengthen the forward areas.

Yes early days. That said 5 stalwarts and 4 solid pros would be a good start IF that proves to be the case. 
We’ve been too easy to play against for years now. As well as some ability there seems to be a good level of physicality in the squad too. The squad still needs strengthened but hopefully some positive signs. 

57 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yes early days. That said 5 stalwarts and 4 solid pros would be a good start IF that proves to be the case. 
We’ve been too easy to play against for years now. As well as some ability there seems to be a good level of physicality in the squad too. The squad still needs strengthened but hopefully some positive signs. 

Yes agreed. I guess every L1 side can say the same but we have to hope that our key players stay fit. I wouldn’t mind seeing a central midfield of Luissint, Dickinson and Lyon if we could get Brydon in at CB alongside Douglas

12 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Hello frens. Seen as we love signing your old boys, please talk to me about Joel Mumbongo.

You'll get mixed reviews I'd imagine. He scored more goals for us than many Hamilton (and me!) fans expected. In general I thought he was a big donkey tbh. Didn't think he held the ball up well for a guy his size, can't recall him winning too many headers or coming close to bullying defenders. 

Delighted he wasn't signed again tbh. PT football may well suit him though and Farrell got a tune from Ruth (who I was delighted to see the back of as well) so there's no reason he can't work his magic on Mumbongo. 

Another one I'll be interested to see how he gets on at Dumbarton. 

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

You'll get mixed reviews I'd imagine. He scored more goals for us than many Hamilton (and me!) fans expected. In general I thought he was a big donkey tbh. Didn't think he held the ball up well for a guy his size, can't recall him winning too many headers or coming close to bullying defenders. 

Delighted he wasn't signed again tbh. PT football may well suit him though and Farrell got a tune from Ruth (who I was delighted to see the back of as well) so there's no reason he can't work his magic on Mumbongo. 

Another one I'll be interested to see how he gets on at Dumbarton. 

Great, that all sounds terrific :lol:

I'm going to cling to his prolific goalscoring record compared to Ruth's at Palmerston and big this signing up in my head to be a game changing moment in our quest changing from survival to top four!

8 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Great, that all sounds terrific :lol:

I'm going to cling to his prolific goalscoring record compared to Ruth's at Palmerston and big this signing up in my head to be a game changing moment in our quest changing from survival to top four!

I thought he was decent. Big strong, scored some goals. I would have had him back.