The Queen of the South thread

Was it not in July we would be adding to the board.

I take it the talks with a local man did not go well.

The one board is doing a great job so far but like the football  squad we could do with more quality added.

21 hours ago, Greenacres said:

The one board is doing a great job so far but like the football  squad we could do with more quality added.

No need to rush these things ... try reading the ICT thread! 🫣

On 28/07/2024 at 22:39, Greenacres said:

"I have only been on the board for a short time and with the others looking to move on we are actively looking for more people to become directors. We have already got someone else, lined up to come onto the board around July time. He cannot do it right now and obviously I cannot say who it is.  I am also due to meet with a local guy who has been a lifelong supporter of the club because it is very important to have that representation, as soon as I am in a position to let you know of any progress, I will do so. "

July 'time' so no real date and plenty time for discussions to continue with said Northern Englishman and probably lined up post summer hols... however, after all of the speaking to various local guys, they seem to be all of the same financial thought process, which for me is worrying that we won't have any local directors on the board, let alone any of them who are queens fans... Does this matter? probably not to the majority of fans as long as things are going well and there is a big buzz around the club... great comms, great online presence, things getting done physically to the stadium and a huge difference to the last few years... Sadly, I think I am probably the only Queens fan who sadly still isn't bought into what's going on here.... I have nothing in my pocket to say why, maybe because I'm now living in Aberdeen and am outside looking in? Is it because I know the various businessmen that have spoken with the directors? maybe? Do I raise an eyebrow about the 2 year signing of young McLinden? Absolutely (along with probably half of lower leagues of footballers that have player with him). This isn't a dig at the boy in the slightest and understand its every footballers dream of which we all have to support... but would he have been given a 2 year contract if there was a different director? negotiable.... which for me is an integrity issue.

Pretty weak if a mclinden 2 year deal is putting potential directors off tbh. I would imagine it would be wider questions such as decision making power and level of investment that would be bigger points that would drive the decision.

40 minutes ago, lyle be back said:

Pretty weak if a mclinden 2 year deal is putting potential directors off tbh. I would imagine it would be wider questions such as decision making power and level of investment that would be bigger points that would drive the decision.

Ah sorry Lyle... didn't mean that the young lads deal was putting the potential directors off, merely my view that it isn't correct mate.. Agree with you on the decision making and financial expectations stumbler

2 minutes ago, Mon_The_South said:

Ah sorry Lyle... didn't mean that the young lads deal was putting the potential directors off, merely my view that it isn't correct mate.. Agree with you on the decision making and financial expectations stumbler

I have to agree it's something that I've wondered about, would the father have been here at all if the son wasn't already connected to the Club and would the son have got a full time deal if the father wasn't the Director. I've said on here before, if the son's career here doesn't work out will the manager be able to move him on, and will Mr. McLinden still be as keen to stay at the Club if his son is away. Having said all that, if that's the only potential problem we might face, with the upturn in communications, in off and (hopefully) on field improvements since the new Director came in,  let's just make the most of it while it lasts.

1 hour ago, Mon_The_South said:

Do I raise an eyebrow about the 2 year signing of young McLinden? Absolutely (along with probably half of lower leagues of footballers that have player with him). This isn't a dig at the boy in the slightest and understand its every footballers dream of which we all have to support... but would he have been given a 2 year contract if there was a different director? negotiable.... which for me is an integrity issue.

Just now, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I have to agree it's something that I've wondered about, would the father have been here at all if the son wasn't already connected to the Club and would the son have got a full time deal if the father wasn't the Director. I've said on here before, if the son's career here doesn't work out will the manager be able to move him on, and will Mr. McLinden still be as keen to stay at the Club if his son is away. Having said all that, if that's the only potential problem we might face, with the upturn in communications, in off and (hopefully) on field improvements since the new Director came in,  let's just make the most of it while it lasts.

Certainly these situations can be viewed both ways.  No eyebrows were raised when Lewis Gibson got a 2 year deal under his father's management, and rightly so as it was common knowledge amongst fans that he was a cut above the others at the club in his age group.  Then we have other cases involving ex-QOS players which in retrospect can be viewed as more questionable, such as Olly McDonald at Kilmarnock or Paul McKay at Leeds and Cardiff.

I've never seen McLinden play so can't judge, but I have spoken to the grandfather of one of the boys currently in the U18 squad who did say that a few of the players in that group were, to put it mildly, "surprised" that he was given said deal as, certainly in the view of his grandson McLinden was "not bad, but nothing special".   

It certainly puts a lot of unfair pressure on the lad to perform well and justify his deal as if selected he will be under the supporters' microscope more than say Mark Thomson or Euan Ross are.  Time will tell.

4 hours ago, Mon_The_South said:

"I have only been on the board for a short time and with the others looking to move on we are actively looking for more people to become directors. We have already got someone else, lined up to come onto the board around July time. He cannot do it right now and obviously I cannot say who it is.  I am also due to meet with a local guy who has been a lifelong supporter of the club because it is very important to have that representation, as soon as I am in a position to let you know of any progress, I will do so. "

July 'time' so no real date and plenty time for discussions to continue with said Northern Englishman and probably lined up post summer hols... however, after all of the speaking to various local guys, they seem to be all of the same financial thought process, which for me is worrying that we won't have any local directors on the board, let alone any of them who are queens fans... Does this matter? probably not to the majority of fans as long as things are going well and there is a big buzz around the club... great comms, great online presence, things getting done physically to the stadium and a huge difference to the last few years... Sadly, I think I am probably the only Queens fan who sadly still isn't bought into what's going on here.... I have nothing in my pocket to say why, maybe because I'm now living in Aberdeen and am outside looking in? Is it because I know the various businessmen that have spoken with the directors? maybe? Do I raise an eyebrow about the 2 year signing of young McLinden? Absolutely (along with probably half of lower leagues of footballers that have player with him). This isn't a dig at the boy in the slightest and understand its every footballers dream of which we all have to support... but would he have been given a 2 year contract if there was a different director? negotiable.... which for me is an integrity issue.

Rather harsh statement TBH. Let’s feel extremely lucky we’ve a person on board who has already made a massive difference in & around our football club. 

24 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Rather harsh statement TBH. Let’s feel extremely lucky we’ve a person on board who has already made a massive difference in & around our football club. 

It may be harsh indeed and as I say from the outside its looking fantastic and love the buzz...... and I'm not dissing what has been done..... but just not fully aligned to the what's and why's... I absolutely hope I am wrong..... my head is delighted and as a fan its a different world... but my gut is asking questions

53 minutes ago, Mon_The_South said:

It may be harsh indeed and as I say from the outside its looking fantastic and love the buzz...... and I'm not dissing what has been done..... but just not fully aligned to the what's and why's... I absolutely hope I am wrong..... my head is delighted and as a fan its a different world... but my gut is asking questions

Let’s just be happy with the changes in & around our football club. The difference since Jim McLinden came in is unbelievable. I had the pleasure of meeting him once & he’s completely different from what we’ve been used to in the past & has also sponsored the likes of Brennan Dickinson. A player who could & probably should be playing at a much higher level. 
I couldn’t care less how a player may or may not of earned a contract. He’s a young 18 year old lad who’s fought back from a leg break injury last season. Go easy on these youngsters please. 
Our football club doesn’t need ANY negativity especially after what we’ve witnessed over the last few years 

1 hour ago, Mon_The_South said:

Not dissing what's been done, but choosing to focus on one single action that you perceive as negative with no evidence to support your theory. 

A real integrity move. Anyone would think you had an ulterior motive 

33 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

A real integrity move. Anyone would think you had an ulterior motive 

Motive?? How can someone have a motive for asking a question that has been asked by other people? Not many motives you can have in football....

As I've said, I genuinely hope things are as good as the buzz and I'm looking forward to Montrose away to see the team for the first time myself.. 

49 minutes ago, Mon_The_South said:

Motive?? How can someone have a motive for asking a question that has been asked by other people? Not many motives you can have in football....

As I've said, I genuinely hope things are as good as the buzz and I'm looking forward to Montrose away to see the team for the first time myself.. 

That first line is a bit of world salad but I'll try and digest.

You asked the question under a, thinly, disguised accusation of wrong doing. A question that was asked many weeks ago and everyone else seems to have moved on from.

Theres a lot of positive stuff happening on and off the field, yet you choose to go against the grain, drag up an old question, suggest theres something sinister behind it and questioning the integrity of the board and club in general.

Pretty hard to see why someone would do that without an ulterior motive, to be honest.

Sounds like the kind of thing someone who wanted to be involved in the club but was knocked back would say. Pulling threads so when something goes wrong, they can sit back and say "told you so"

50 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

That first line is a bit of world salad but I'll try and digest.

You asked the question under a, thinly, disguised accusation of wrong doing. A question that was asked many weeks ago and everyone else seems to have moved on from.

Theres a lot of positive stuff happening on and off the field, yet you choose to go against the grain, drag up an old question, suggest theres something sinister behind it and questioning the integrity of the board and club in general.

Pretty hard to see why someone would do that without an ulterior motive, to be honest.

Sounds like the kind of thing someone who wanted to be involved in the club but was knocked back would say. Pulling threads so when something goes wrong, they can sit back and say "told you so"

Methinks you're getting a bit upset about not very much.