The Queen of the South thread

On 21/01/2022 at 14:07, Killiefan said:

Have you actually seen Hemming play? I’ve only seen Brynn in the flesh once at Rugby Park and he didn’t look to clever.

On 21/01/2022 at 14:33, Killiefan said:

Think you’ll find he has no chance of any game time at Boro and they know that. Hemming is by far the best keeper in this league.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

O/T but good to see Paton get his first goal for Port Vale last night. Sol Brynn also got his debut for Boro away at Leeds and kept a clean sheet into the bargain. 

Who was that Killie fan who claimed Hemming (currently loaned out to Leyton Orient) was ahead of Brynn in the pecking order @Skyline Drifter? 😎

So, that's the fabled German investors at Dunfermline now looking to up sticks and withdraw, potentially leaving The Pars in financial problems yet again.  Add to that the very public financial fiasco currently ongoing at Inverness and it just highlights again the very parlous (no pun intended btw) nature of fitba finances in the lower leagues in Scotland.  I guess there are several clubs currently "sailing close to the wind" and relying on various rich sugar daddies in various forms continuing to temporarily fund their playthings - no doubt fans of those clubs will continue to enjoy the ride while it lasts.  Hopefully, Queens are able to continue on a more sustainable basis.

59 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

So, that's the fabled German investors at Dunfermline now looking to up sticks and withdraw, potentially leaving The Pars in financial problems yet again.  Add to that the very public financial fiasco currently ongoing at Inverness and it just highlights again the very parlous (no pun intended btw) nature of fitba finances in the lower leagues in Scotland.  I guess there are several clubs currently "sailing close to the wind" and relying on various rich sugar daddies in various forms continuing to temporarily fund their playthings - no doubt fans of those clubs will continue to enjoy the ride while it lasts.  Hopefully, Queens are able to continue on a more sustainable basis.

I agree with you we need to be run on a more sustainable basis but we need to find the right model to do so as the last 2-3 years of 200-250k losses must have drained our cash reserves by now. 

16 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

I agree with you we need to be run on a more sustainable basis but we need to find the right model to do so as the last 2-3 years of 200-250k losses must have drained our cash reserves by now. 

Bet you still want another striker though 

4 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

4 hours ago, Homer Thompson said:

That's kind of the underlying point here though.  It just demonstrates how important it is to find a manager who can make the right choices and get the best out of the available budget to build what is hopefully a competitive squad. Arguably, the most important appointment that any club makes at this level is the manager as there is a helluva responsibility on his shoulders to appropriately manage that budget and also ensure that the team performs well on the pitch.  Finding a manager with all the right attributes is a big challenge for any club.  In the top clubs more than one person tends to fulfil these roles to spread the load; clearly at this level it all has to be rolled into one job/person.

To more specifically respond to the point made above - yes, it's clear to most Queens fans that this squad really does need another striker.  Whether or not we have the budget left to make that a reality is another but definitely related question.  If the budget isn't there, then that should be the end of the story, unless the BOD intends to take a risk/push the boat out (there could be an argument for doing so this season as League 1 is relatively weak/uniformly level and the opportunity to win it is a real carrot for all clubs).  Unfortunately, Murphy's hands have been somewhat tied in this department by inheriting the likes of Doherty for another season - tbf he might be a hard worker but when he came to us from a poor Clyde team he was hardly a renowned goal scorer.  Just gotta hope his net finding ability improves under Murphy's tutelage/encouragement.

5 hours ago, Homer Thompson said:

Of course. We need to get out of this league this year or our full time model is bust. It would be penny wise pound foolish not to get more striking talent in given what we have invested so far. That would be a squad of 20 plus kids vs 26 or 27 mediocre players next year. 

Just now, HighlandQueen said:

Of course. We need to get out of this league this year or our full time model is bust. It would be penny wise pound foolish not to get more striking talent in given what we have invested so far. That would be a squad of 20 plus kids vs 26 or 27 mediocre players next year. 

Sorry last year

50 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

That's kind of the underlying point here though.  It just demonstrates how important it is to find a manager who can make the right choices and get the best out of the available budget to build what is hopefully a competitive squad. Arguably, the most important appointment that any club makes at this level is the manager as there is a helluva responsibility on his shoulders to appropriately manage that budget and also ensure that the team performs well on the pitch.  Finding a manager with all the right attributes is a big challenge for any club.  In the top clubs more than one person tends to fulfil these roles to spread the load; clearly at this level it all has to be rolled into one job/person.

To more specifically respond to the point made above - yes, it's clear to most Queens fans that this squad really does need another striker.  Whether or not we have the budget left to make that a reality is another but definitely related question.  If the budget isn't there, then that should be the end of the story, unless the BOD intends to take a risk/push the boat out (there could be an argument for doing so this season as League 1 is relatively weak/uniformly level and the opportunity to win it is a real carrot for all clubs).  Unfortunately, Murphy's hands have been somewhat tied in this department by inheriting the likes of Doherty for another season - tbf he might be a hard worker but when he came to us from a poor Clyde team he was hardly a renowned goal scorer.  Just gotta hope his net finding ability improves under Murphy's tutelage/encouragement.

I agree on the manager front and Murphy may be the guy. We have to have a scout improve and sell model. But see my point above. To invest what we have so far and then skimp on strikers is mad as we need goals to win games and get up. 

On Doherty I actually thought he ran Brydon close for mom. However he never has had a pedigree of scoring goals so wouldn’t rely on them coming from him. 

Whilst a lot of us are seeing this season's relatively weak league as an opportunity to get promoted, perhaps Murphy views the job as a two year project?  By that I mean it could be that this season he has focused his use of the budget on building a solid defence/midfield that gives him a team that's hard to beat, and then next season he focuses his budget on the forward areas to add bite to an already solid team.  That would then give him a shot at a potentially title winning squad for next season.  Dunno, just my daft meanderings.

17 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Whilst a lot of us are seeing this season's relatively weak league as an opportunity to get promoted, perhaps Murphy views the job as a two year project?  By that I mean it could be that this season he has focused his use of the budget on building a solid defence/midfield that gives him a team that's hard to beat, and then next season he focuses his budget on the forward areas to add bite to an already solid team.  That would then give him a shot at a potentially title winning squad for next season.  Dunno, just my daft meanderings.

Thats a very risky strategy in my opinion as the likes of a Queens Park/Dunfermline could easily be back in this league next season. With how weak this league is this year I think we need to properly go for it, we won’t get a league as weak as this for a long long time.

6 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Thats a very risky strategy in my opinion as the likes of a Queens Park/Dunfermline could easily be back in this league next season. With how weak this league is this year I think we need to properly go for it, we won’t get a league as weak as this for a long long time.

Agree with that. This is our opportunity. May not have the budget to do part 2 next year and also we only have Reece Lyon only on a one year contract. For me it’s an EON strategy for this year…everything or nothing. 

4 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Agree with that. This is our opportunity. May not have the budget to do part 2 next year and also we only have Reece Lyon only on a one year contract. For me it’s an EON strategy for this year…everything or nothing. 

Lyon is a two year deal.

44 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

I agree with you about what a huge opportunity this season is.

All I was doing was trying to sit back and look at the facts/recruitment done to date and pondering what may behind it. Murphy clearly isn't daft ... he'll know that we're lacking up front, and yet he hasn't tackled that yet, so why not?

Could be he still has some budget left but he can't find/afford what he's looking for, or maybe he hasn't any budget left having deliberately decided to focus first on building from the back this season with the forward areas seen as a work in progress for next season. Just navel gazing on my part, pure guesswork, just prompting the discussion really.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

I agree with you about what a huge opportunity this season is.

All I was doing was trying to sit back and look at the facts/recruitment done to date and pondering what may behind it. Murphy clearly isn't daft ... he'll know that we're lacking up front, and yet he hasn't tackled that yet, so why not?

Could be he still has some budget left but he can't find/afford what he's looking for, or maybe he hasn't any budget left having deliberately decided to focus first on building from the back this season with the forward areas seen as a work in progress for next season. Just navel gazing on my part, pure guesswork, just prompting the discussion really.

I get your point. My worry is an injury plagued McIntosh, unproven Craik, historically short on goals Doherty and McAnespie. Makes me nervous….

22 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

I get your point. My worry is an injury plagued McIntosh, unproven Craik, historically short on goals Doherty and McAnespie. Makes me nervous….

Who? 

6 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

You're right with all of this. 

My point was more that too often if the budget isnt there that isnt the end of the story.  Some fans will preach sustainability but with almost the same breath throw that out of the window in the chase for success.

Not that Im accusing anyone of that, of course.

11 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

5 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

5 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

I agree on the manager front and Murphy may be the guy. We have to have a scout improve and sell model. But see my point above. To invest what we have so far and then skimp on strikers is mad as we need goals to win games and get up. 

On Doherty I actually thought he ran Brydon close for mom. However he never has had a pedigree of scoring goals so wouldn’t rely on them coming from him. 

4 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

3 hours ago, QoS99 said:

Who is the trialist?

My camera is pish so forgive the quality. I'm still none the wiser who it was. He came on at CM though which I'm kind of disappointed with as I was hoping he was a striker. 

Couple of photos. Glad I captured Smith in that second one. Wouldn't have known he was there otherwise...

IMG_20240817_164338100.jpg

IMG_20240817_164342049.jpg