The Queen of the South thread

A straight choice here. Pick the settled team and selection that everyone is craving and we have a chance against these horrible cants on Tuesday and if not , then we have none. Pretty simple . The opposition will be so fired up and are taking this game very seriously as we know . We have got to give ourselves every chance we can . Good thread on the MAD site on this subject as well under the heading " How to make a good team bad".

Surely a manager who's played against does his homework?! Surely he looked into last year. As much as Higgins didn't have a bad game Saturday he's not a left back and every man and his dog knows Mitchell is not half the player at right back.

Another thing why refer back to 4 in defence after Durns got sent off? And were losing 1-0 at home

Surely a manager who's played against does his homework?! Surely he looked into last year. As much as Higgins didn't have a bad game Saturday he's not a left back and every man and his dog knows Mitchell is not half the player at right back.

Another thing why refer back to 4 in defence after Durns got sent off? And were losing 1-0 at home

I found that a bit odd too. I think his thinking was to put McKenna at right back but get him to push forward. Personally, Id have gone three at the back with Higgins, Dowie and Guff.

In my view the problem lies not with the formation but the personnel.

McGuffie, Young, McKenna, Lyle and Russell excelled in the old 2nd div but have limited energy and pace at Championship level and as a result spend the majority of games chasing the ball.

Antell while promising is inexperienced and does little to inspire confidence in the rest of his team mates.

If it works out with Kev in the middle of the park I think it could improve things greatly but I don't think any of the players I previously mentioned, apart from McKenna are up to a full 90 mins.

McGuffie, Young, McKenna, Lyle and Russell excelled in the old 2nd div but have limited energy and pace at Championship level and as a result spend the majority of games chasing the ball.

Antell while promising is inexperienced and does little to inspire confidence in the rest of his team mates.

If it works out with Kev in the middle of the park I think it could improve things greatly but I don't think any of the players I previously mentioned, apart from McKenna are up to a full 90 mins.

Russell hasnt kicked a ball in the old second division for years! Cant really agree with any of the rest of your post either.

Young doesnt look fit enough to play 90 minutes at the moment, how much of that is down to his recent injury, I dont know. But I really dont see why you think any of those players arent good enough

Russell did not play with us in 2nd div. he was at livi

Don't agree with this at all but you are entitled to your opinion. Tomorrows game is going to be far different to the last two home games. Alloa and Raith went out to suffocate us ( which is their right) but the rangers will not. They are going straight for the throat and this in turn will give us gaps to open them up as well. Not concede in the early exchanges and things will get interesting. Please get that formation sorted out McIntyre . Best of luck to the team and I am wanting nothing left in the dressing room on Tuesday night . Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Don't agree with this at all but you are entitled to your opinion. Tomorrows game is going to be far different to the last two home games. Alloa and Raith went out to suffocate us ( which is their right) but the rangers will not. They are going straight for the throat and this in turn will give us gaps to open them up as well. Not concede in the early exchanges and things will get interesting. Please get that formation sorted out McIntyre . Best of luck to the team and I am wanting nothing left in the dressing room on Tuesday night .

Which might actually help us. We've looked more suited to hitting teams on the counter than breaking them down

Something else thats been puzzling me about McIntyres 4-3-3 is why is it different from, pretty much, everyone else who uses it? Most sides play with two holding midfielders and one, genuinely, attacking midfielder off the front man, with two wingers. We play one holding midfielder with two more advanced midfielders, but they too sit quite deep and at times struggle to get forward to support the front man. Did McIntyre play this way previously?

I wouldnt mind if we tried out the more 'traditional' variation. McKenna and Young as the holding players and, maybe, Kev playing off the front man. Russell, Paton or Young could also play there (with Kev playing deeper in the case of Young)

I'm not saying the formations have been the best, just there's more to it than simply that.

Point taken re Russell not playing in the 2nd but my original point still stands, a number of players in the squad are either past it or not up to it.

Like most of the ground I didn't agree with McIntyres decision to sub Russell on Saturday but in hindsight I don't think it could be denied Reilly had better movement and livened up proceedings. I thought the introduction Kevin had a similar effect however he wasn't on long enough to either make an impact or prove he is part of the answer.

Edited by RDR

Which might actually help us. We've looked more suited to hitting teams on the counter than breaking them down

Something else thats been puzzling me about McIntyres 4-3-3 is why is it different from, pretty much, everyone else who uses it? Most sides play with two holding midfielders and one, genuinely, attacking midfielder off the front man, with two wingers. We play one holding midfielder with two more advanced midfielders, but they too sit quite deep and at times struggle to get forward to support the front man. Did McIntyre play this way previously?

I wouldnt mind if we tried out the more 'traditional' variation. McKenna and Young as the holding players and, maybe, Kev playing off the front man. Russell, Paton or Young could also play there (with Kev playing deeper in the case of Young)

I wouldn't be against Russell starting on the left of midfield . Think back to the Dundee game and he had a great time picking the ball up on the break and running at them. Would have Reilly in there for his nuisance value and the need for a strong runner on what will be a very demanding game . By the way, I am still not convinced of his scoring ability. The header over the bar near the end was a shocker at the weekend . Lyle would be in for his heading ability and experience . The occasion will look after itself and tiredness will be forgotten about regarding him. Edited by JRS LEFT PEG