The Queen of the South thread

Well stick with him because he's the cheap option.

FAO the poster Del.

People like myself discuss and post our opinions and views on here quite frequently. I read what others have to say sometimes I agree and sometimes I disagree, but I do respect what others post. It would appear as you've given me a reddy for what I posted above that you disagreed with what I said which is fair enough but would you care to post what your thoughts on the matter are so others can then either agree or disagree with you?

Edited by Hawk

There's a helluva doom and gloom around right now, and I suppose it's understandable. COYB_RAB has hit the nail on the head in his post and it's something very similar to what I was discussing with my dad a couple of weeks ago; If we finish 5th it will be really disappointing purely because we have held on to 4th spot for so long in the season. But overall, if we finish 4th OR 5th there is no denying this has been a very successful season for us. Considering our budget, and more importantly the size of our squad, we have done remarkably well to even push for 4th spot this season and let's not forget how close we came to a major semi-final as well. I would be interested to know if our bench had the youngest average age throughout the season. Our first 11 can compete with anyone in the division (I suppose you could possibly argue not Hearts) but when we have picked up knocks and suspensions we don't have a lot in reserve. We've played most of the season with only 2 strikers and for a good spell at the beginning we had many key players missing for long periods. The boys who stepped in and our youngsters have done incredibly this season and whether we finish 4th or 5th they deserve ONLY praise. That goes for Fowler too. I'm as far away from being a happy clapper as can be, but I really can't find myself having a pop at our team overall this season.

It would be good to be in the play-offs, but let's get real for a minute here. Even if we did make the play-offs, how many QoS fans genuinely believe we would win all 6 games to go up??

Well, the greenie count would certainly suggest that this glass half full view is the one most share. (Where's Flash gone to these days, when I need him anyway?)

I still can't agree however, with the argument that says a 5th place finish would mean we'd had a "very successful" season, but I'll just need to agree to differ with pretty much everyone on that.

I think your last bit misses the point to be honest. If we were to get 4th, I think the chances of promotion would be very remote indeed, given the length of the route and the identity of the clubs in the way. The quest is to be involved in such big games though and see where it gets us.

By the logic that says we shouldn't want to make the play-offs because we wouldn't ultimately win, we'd have also had to knock back that place in Europe a few years back.

I loved last year's play-off involvement, even though it ended quickly and cruelly. It's these meaningful games we want the right to play in again.

FAO the poster Del.

People like myself discuss and post our opinions and views on here quite frequently. I read what others have to say sometimes I agree and sometimes I disagree, but I do respect what others post. It would appear as you've given me a reddy for what I posted above that you disagreed with what I said which is fair enough but would you care to post what your thoughts on the matter are so others can then either agree or disagree with you?

post-47540-14274015983122_thumb.jpg

Yes, being above Falkirk, a bigger, wealthier club is good, but relinquishing a good lead to them as it starts to matter, surely dents any notion of an achievement. Like most, I don't know the circumstances of the player departures in January, but I do know that where they wound up is regrettable and that one wasn't replaced at all. If we do, as you and I believe, miss out on 4th, then it will not be source of outrage. It will naturally be one of disappointment though.

Considering the injuries to what were deemed to be key players for more than half of the season it is a great achievement that we have managed to sustain a challenge for one of the play-off spots. Leaving aside Hearts, who have proved to be a class above the rest, the other serious contenders for the play-off positions prior to the season starting were, in no particular order, Hibs, rangers, Falkirk, Raith Rovers and ourselves. Hibs early season form was a bit erratic to say the least but they have improved enough to all but secure second or third place. Pre-season favourites, rangers' form has also been fairly erratic but like Hibs they have managed to pick up enough points to probably remain in the play-off positions. That leaves Falkirk, Raith and ourselves. We can't dismiss the fact that the lack of a serious challenge from Falkirk and Raith Rovers early in the season helped our cause in maintaining our position in the play-off places. Falkirk, as you say, are a "bigger" and wealthier club so always had the potential to come good at some point, unfortunately it seems, aided by signing two of our players. Now that they have found a vein of form and have come up strongly to mount a challenge we are maybe getting a more realistic view of our position and capabilities. Hopefully we can still secure a top 4 place but I think we may need at least one of our main rivals to suffer a late dip in form and we would need to find a bit more consistency in our own performances. Finishing 5th would obviously be a disappointment after being up there almost all season but I would not class it as a failure if the so-called four bigger clubs happened to finish above us. I think Raith Rovers challenge has come too late for a top four finish but we can't afford many slip-ups in the run-in or it may be that avoiding 6th place is our aim.

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

Queens park played very young team & went down to 10 men early after having lad sent off

Aye Queens Park looked a young team, the red card came late in the game, I'd say with 10 to go maybe. Think there was 8 yellows and 1 red card in the game and it was far from a dirty game.

QoS team, Atkinson, Brannan, Ashton, Slattery, Dickenson, Hooper, Brotherston, Moxen, Pickhard, A Smith, D Smith. Subs, Leighfield, Fergusson, Scott, Bell and Salim ?

Finishing 5th would obviously be a disappointment after being up there almost all season but I would not class it as a failure if the so-called four bigger clubs happened to finish above us.

I'm not sure why you've posted the above as a counter to what I was saying. I wouldn't see a 5th place finish as failure either, which is why I very explicitly said it would only feel that way because we've spent most of the season better off. Like you, I've said it would therefore now be a disappointment.

My case has merely been to challenge the apparently wildly popular view that finishing 5th would mean we'd been "very successful".

5th along with a Scottish Cup quarter final run would represent a satisfactory season. I think we'd need to reach the playoffs for it to be considered very successful.

In many ways the cup defeat will be the one I look back on with more disappointment than if we were to drop out of the playoffs. You tend to find over the course of a league season you finish where you deserve to, and our away form isn't that of a top 4 team as it stands. The performance in the cup quarter was a million miles away from the one that saw us comfortably knock out the holders in the previous round. In theory it should have been an easier game so to bottle it quite so dramatically was hugely disappointing.

The glimmer of hope I'm holding onto is that the doomsayers have been predicting Falkirk will overtake us for months now yet we still sit above them. It is of course very likely they will be above us as soon as Saturday night, but our own erratic results at times this season show that it's not safe to assume they will win all the games we anticipate they will. If they do then hats off to them, they'll have deserved it.

Edited by palmy_cammy

Not that qualified to comment as I've only been to a couple of games this season, though will be going to the next two, but allowing a contracted striker, Baird, to leave (subsequently going to our direct rivals for a play off place) and failing to replace him looked, on the face of it at least, like a cost-cutting move by club lacking in ambition, who had probably taken a view that promotion was unlikely anyway with two heavyweights likely to be in the play off spots.

Queens seemed to have a lot of momentum going into the window. At that point you would have expected them to consolidate and strengthen the squad, not allow it to become weakened. While not a huge fan of Baird, based on the limited times I've seen him, he has made a significant impact for Falkirk. He would have served our play off hopes better sitting in the stand for us than on the park with Falkirk.

Most of my mates support Hibs. For a long time they regarded us as their main rivals for third. Like Falkirk, they strengthened in the window. Speaking to a few of them, they are incredulous that we let two players leave to go to Falkirk mid-season. Kerr we had no control over, but Baird we did. Knowing how critical Hibs fans are of their club, they would have been incandescent had it happened to them. Of course they are a much bigger club than Queens, but for much of the season were no better than us. Now they've pushed on and left us in their wake.

Queens have done quite well this season, and in recent seasons, but I get the impression that we've enjoyed a combination of favourable circumstances: a better than usual crop of young players coming together at the same time and a couple of youthful managers on the way up. I'm not sure we can assume that will continue indefinitely, especially on our budget.

I think Queens fans, on the whole, have lower expectations than those of other clubs contending for the play off positions. On the basis of the first half of the season, a fourth placed finish should have been the minimum we were aiming for. I suspect most fans, like the board, will quietly settle for 5th though.

Edited by Frankie S

Not that qualified to comment as I've only been to a couple of games this season, though will be going to the next two, but allowing a contracted striker, Baird, to leave (subsequently going to our direct rivals for a play off place) and failing to replace him looked, on the face of it at least, like a cost-cutting move by club lacking in ambition, who had probably taken a view that promotion was unlikely anyway with two heavyweights likely to be in the play off spots.

Queens seemed to have a lot of momentum going into the window. At that point you could o have expected them to consolidate and strengthen the squad, not allow it to become weakened. While not a huge fan of Baird, based on the limited times I've seen him, he has made a significant impact for Falkirk. He would have served our play off hopes better sitting in the stand for us than on the park with Falkirk.

Most of my mates support Hibs. For a long time they regarded us as their main rivals for third. Like Falkirk, they strengthened in the window. Speaking to a few of them, they are incredulous that we let two players leave to go to Falkirk mid-season. Kerr we had no control over, but Baird we did. Knowing how critical Hibs fans are of their club, they would have been incandescent had it happened to them. Of course they are a much bigger club than Queens, but for much of the season were no better than us. Now they've pushed on and left us in their wake.

Queens have done quite well this season, and in recent seasons, but I get the impression that we've enjoyed a combination of favourable circumstances: a better than usual crop of young players coming together at the same time and a couple of youthful managers on the way up. I'm not sure we can assume that will continue indefinitely, especially on our budget.

I think Queens fans, on the whole, have lower expectations than those of other clubs contending for the play off positions. On the basis of the first half of the season, a fourth placed finish should have been the minimum we were aiming for. I suspect most fans, like the board, will quietly settle for 5th though.

Very good post.

In many ways the cup defeat will be the one I look back on with more disappointment than if we were to drop out of the playoffs. You tend to find over the course of a league season you finish where you deserve to, and our away form isn't that of a top 4 team as it stands. The performance in the cup quarter was a million miles away from the one that saw us comfortably knock out the holders in the previous round. In theory it should have been an easier game so to bottle it quite so dramatically was hugely disappointing.

Totally agree.

I said before the quarter final that given the choice, I'd have taken victory in that tie over pipping Falkirk to a play-off spot.

The way that whole occasion fell flat due to a combination of its timing, the small crowd, the conditions and chiefly of course, our poor performance, meant it was a big let down.

In some ways, it raised the stakes for the League as the other exciting path had been closed.

Missing out on both will be sore, should it happen.