The Queen of the South thread

The juvenile speculation is laughable ! I am embarrassed at the handful of regulars that pass themselves as representatives of QOS fans!

Worst posters on P&B!

That's why Falkirk and Raith posters run rings around you! Not in fancy language but clear real fan response!

N03fp.gif

Wildly accurate as his career since has proven.

It's actually nothing like that high when I think about it. Chisholm was the main source of annoyance most of the others served a purpose but just tended to hang around too long after they'd stopped doing so. Gus was obviously hopeless, but that viewpoint isn't controversial.

I was one of the few (the only one?) who liked Brannigan. He was obviously not a long term answer but did a turn for us. I'd imagine his win percentage would be at the top end of the scale.

Not in the house at the moment with full access to my stats but in terms of Championship level points per game starting with Connolly (as thats as far as I have been keeping them) then Fowler has the best points per game return, narrowly ahead of McIntyre. I think Brannigan is third from memory.

Of course this doesnt include Allan Johnston who managed only one match at this level which he lost. He has a much better record overall but all his games were a level down.

Considering the opposition Fowler has faced this season the fact that he still has more points per game than anyone else is quite remarkable. We have never finished higher than 4th at this level in post-SPL history but if we manage it this year it will clearly be the best league achievement in my lifetime for me.

For what it's worth, having now gained access to my stats again, my memory wasn't quite right. On a points per game basis back to Connolly, points gained at this level are:

1.64 James Fowler (28 games)

1.55 Jim McIntyre (40 games)

1.42 Gordon Chisholm (97 games)

1.40 Kenny Brannigan (47 games)

1.37 John Connolly (70 games)

1.28 Iain Scott (50 games)

1.14 Ian McCall (58 games)

0.91 Gus MacPherson (35 games)

0.50 Stuart Lovell (2 games)

0.00 Allan Johnston (1 game)

Allan Johnston had 2.49 points per game overall, including 36 games in Division 2. John Connolly had 1.47 points per game overall including 72 games in Division 2.

That makes interesting reading. I'd imagine if most fans were to rate those managers that is very similar to the order they would place them. Johnston throws a spanner in the works but he is still an unknown quantity at this level, so for the benefit of this discussion should be excluded. I'm not usually one to get wrapped up in statistics, but it looks like points per game is a decent marker.

Connolly perhaps deserves to be higher up due to achieving what he did with a part time team. Brannigan perhaps over-achieving because he basically had Chisholm's squad to work with and actually did slightly poorer with it (based on points per game anyway). Macpherson is fittingly, and deservedly rock bottom of our managers table. Likewise McCall is in the relegation play-off, with the likeable but not cut out for it Scott safe in mid table.

Johnston's record in the 2nd Division is unreal!

What's our head to head record v "New" Rangers?

Since Rangers were placed into Division 3 we've played two cup ties and four league games.

The League games have resulted in two home wins for us, one home win for Rangers and a draw at Ibrox. The aggregate score over the four games is 8-5 to us. They haven't scored a League goal on the 3G at Palmerston. We've scored in all four games.

We're one win each in the Challenge Cup, both achieved on each others ground, though we needed penalties to beat them at Ibrox in 2012 whilst Rangers were comfortable 3-0 winners at Palmerston a year later, albeit two of the goals arriving late after Chris Higgins got himself sent off.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

For what it's worth, having now gained access to my stats again, my memory wasn't quite right. On a points per game basis back to Connolly, points gained at this level are:

1.64 James Fowler (28 games)

1.55 Jim McIntyre (40 games)

1.42 Gordon Chisholm (97 games)

1.40 Kenny Brannigan (47 games)

1.37 John Connolly (70 games)

1.28 Iain Scott (50 games)

1.14 Ian McCall (58 games)

0.91 Gus MacPherson (35 games)

0.50 Stuart Lovell (2 games)

0.00 Allan Johnston (1 game)

Allan Johnston had 2.49 points per game overall, including 36 games in Division 2. John Connolly had 1.47 points per game overall including 72 games in Division 2.

Good stats.

The stand-out for me is how low McCall's figures are.

His self serving account of a great escape, is exposed by these figures, because as most of us knew, he actually took us into much deeper trouble than we'd been in, during his first weeks in charge.

Interesting too, to note that despite performing so averagely with us, it was a bigger club that he popped up at, soon after leaving us.

Fowler having the highest average in a season like this must, I suppose, be recognised as quite an achievement.

Hope we win tomorrow and put 4th place to bed as I'm note sure Livi and Alloa winning today was good for us as they will both be fighting for their lives when we play them.

That was my thoughts too when I saw todays results

Now that the play off contenders are jockeying into their final position in the Championship let's have a look at the head to head comparisons firstly with the top 5 only and then the play off contenders themselves.

attachicon.gifChampionship heaed to head.JPG

Yeh The Rangers do have a game in hand but when it's the play off candidates only it starts to look far worse for The Rangers who currently rank 3rd in the head to head against each other.

attachicon.gifplay off head to head.JPG

Even more damning is the minus goal difference they carry between the comparisons on the head to head with those they may face in the play offs. If form go to plan then it's most likely that Queen of the South will sit in the final play off place with the Premiership relegation play off victim.

Found this on a Sevco thread, interesting stats.

Found this on a Sevco thread, interesting stats.

It is. It shows how very well we've done against the teams around us, a contrast to last year when we very much finished 4th because we deserved to, barely getting a point from the teams above us whilst barely losing a game to those below.

If we make the playoffs and Falkirk drop out of the picture then those stats will be much tighter between ourselves and HIbs (we'd have a single point more in the collective head to heads) but Rangers would be miles back from the two of us as most of their points in that total were achieved against Falkirk.