The Queen of the South thread

The signings of Thomson & Conroy and the re-signing of Burns & Hooper have really only sorted one position in the first team IMO, since Conroy would appear to play same position as Russell. Burns is now primarily in the coach/back-up category. Our bench looks a bit stronger tho!

So team so far then would probs be:

Thomson

Kidd Dowie Higgins New LB

New RM Millar New CM Russell/Conroy

Lyle New CF

Subs: Atkinson, Hooper, Burns, Conroy/Russell, Smith

So,still lots of very important positions to fill and a tough job for young Fowler.

So, team so far shaping up as:

Thomson

Kidd Dowie Higgins Rutherford

Lyle Higgins

Subs from Atkinson, Hooper, Brownlie, Burns, Skelton, Conroy/Russell, Smith

Have I missed anyone? Higgins & Rutherford both very young, so not sure if Fowler will put them straight in the team. Still some important gaps to be filled.

Thomson

Lyle Higgins

Subs from Atkinson, Hooper, Brownlie, Burns, Skelton, Conroy/Russell, Smith

Have I missed anyone? Higgins & Rutherford both very young, so not sure if Fowler will put them straight in the team. Still some important gaps to be filled.

Is Burns primarily a coach/backup? Hes only 31 so, presuming hes fit, could still be an important player.

I wonder if Conroy will play in the centre of midfield very often? That would let Russell come into the team if we play 4-4-2. I cant really see Conroy playing the wingback role if we go with 3 centre halves either

Guest Flash

Thomson

Skelton Millar Conroy Russell

Lyle Higgins

Subs from Atkinson, Hooper, Brownlie, Burns, Smith

Could be as above with any new signings being fringe players/subs. Or Skelton might be a sub with a RM still to come in. ETA or as Mr X says Burns could be RM. Edited by Flash

Or could be

Thomson

Brownlie dowie Higgins

Kidd conroy as wingbacks but wouldn't be 100% sure if that would suit conroys style.

From there forward on the team is just a bit of a guess barring the inclusion of Del. A very interesting few weeks ahead but I trust Fowler to get the right players in and patience amongst the fans if it doesn't start well will be key. We have to be very realstic about what this season holds for us after having the squad ripped apart. Anywhere from 5-7th wouldn't be a total disaster and anything above 5th would be another great season for us.

Edited by Broony88

Is Burns primarily a coach/backup? Hes only 31 so, presuming hes fit, could still be an important player.

I wonder if Conroy will play in the centre of midfield very often? That would let Russell come into the team if we play 4-4-2. I cant really see Conroy playing the wingback role if we go with 3 centre halves either

I've absolutely no idea why people are writing Burns off. He will be a huge player for us once again, just like he has been throughout his time with us.

I'd imagine he'll play central more often than not though. I'd like us to sign a right sided midfielder and I'd have Kidd as backup for him ahead of Burnsy.

I see Conroy as a direct replacement for Paton. More likely to play centrally than on the wing.

Sincerely hope we have more than two new players coming in otherwise it could be a bumpy road ahead - if it is as suggested above 5 further players gives some re-assurance.

Disappointed that the official site has made no comment on McKenna/Paton situation. In McKenna's case he has played a massive part in our recent successes over several years and has been a magnificent servant - if he is retiring as rumoured it would be better to acknowledge his contribution tangibly. I appreciate however that not being privy to the facts may mean that he club is still speaking to either or both players. If not then a statement would be appreciated.

I've absolutely no idea why people are writing Burns off. He will be a huge player for us once again, just like he has been throughout his time with us.

I'd imagine he'll play central more often than not though. I'd like us to sign a right sided midfielder and I'd have Kidd as backup for him ahead of Burnsy.

I see Conroy as a direct replacement for Paton. More likely to play centrally than on the wing.

I agree. I can see Conroy playing on the left and centrally, both off the strikers and deeper, at different points in the season.

Sincerely hope we have more than two new players coming in otherwise it could be a bumpy road ahead - if it is as suggested above 5 further players gives some re-assurance.

Disappointed that the official site has made no comment on McKenna/Paton situation. In McKenna's case he has played a massive part in our recent successes over several years and has been a magnificent servant - if he is retiring as rumoured it would be better to acknowledge his contribution tangibly. I appreciate however that not being privy to the facts may mean that he club is still speaking to either or both players. If not then a statement would be appreciated.

The players are out of contract. The club doesnt, and hasnt for years, commented on players whos contracts expire. Obviously, this season there have been some slight exceptions where development fees have been involved.

We currently have 13 players who, it would seem, will feature regularly in the first team, plus Hooper, Pickard, Smith and Skelton. I'd be surprised if we signed another 5 players, particularly if any of those four are likely to play regularly.

I agree. I can see Conroy playing on the left and centrally, both off the strikers and deeper, at different points in the season.

The players are out of contract. The club doesnt, and hasnt for years, commented on players whos contracts expire. Obviously, this season there have been some slight exceptions where development fees have been involved.

We currently have 13 players who, it would seem, will feature regularly in the first team, plus Hooper, Pickard, Smith and Skelton. I'd be surprised if we signed another 5 players, particularly if any of those four are likely to play regularly.

I would be very surprised if the club don't make a statement at some point thanking the players departing.

I would be very surprised if the club don't make a statement at some point thanking the players departing.

They may well do. It would be unusual, though, as they dont normally comment on players who leave because their contract expires. If McKenna does retire that might be mentioned but Id be surprised if there is any comment on Paton, or indeed Slattery.

The above set up may not be far away from reality although I have to say that unfortunately for me lacks quality and depth in the forward/ creativity areas. Hopefully a few quality signings will make the difference.

I am not concerned with the defence as if Higgy and Dowie play on a par with last season we should be solid once again.

One negative thing about these new youngsters compared to the ones that just left us are the fact that all these guys have been deemed not good enough by clubs not much better than ours and in some cases worse, whereas Holt, Reilly, Carmichael and McShane had no history of being released. Durnan was the obvious exception having inexcusably never been given the opportunity to develop at St Johnstone. Still though you never know they might turn out alright

The above set up may not be far away from reality although I have to say that unfortunately for me lacks quality and depth in the forward/ creativity areas. Hopefully a few quality signings will make the difference.

I am not concerned with the defence as if Higgy and Dowie play on a par with last season we should be solid once again.

You're right. But that isnt the squad thats going to start the season

One negative thing about these new youngsters compared to the ones that just left us are the fact that all these guys have been deemed not good enough by clubs not much better than ours and in some cases worse, whereas Holt, Reilly, Carmichael and McShane had no history of being released. Durnan was the obvious exception having inexcusably never been given the opportunity to develop at St Johnstone. Still though you never know they might turn out alright

Is that really true though? How do we know they left their previous clubs because they were deemed not good enough? Neither Holt, Reilly, Durnan or Carmichael left Queens at the end of their contracts because they werent good enough

We would have had to pay a fee for the 3 young players we have just signed if they had been offered a contract from any of the clubs they were at.

Only if it was on the same terms they were already on. Given Cowden were relegated and, presumably cutting costs, it's just as likely they couldn't afford them. Livingston had a registration ban and couldn't offer anyone contracts.

I think the squad lines up as:

Thomson

Brownlie Dowie Higgins

Kidd Millar Burns Rutherford

Conroy

Higgins Lyle

Livi fans assertions of Rutherford being decent on the ball but suspect defensively leads me to believe he'll play as a wing back.

Not to bad a starting lineup but very little in the way of backup when injures and suspensions kick in.

I think the squad lines up as:

Thomson

Brownlie Dowie Higgins

Kidd Millar Burns Rutherford

Conroy

Higgins Lyle

Livi fans assertions of Rutherford being decent on the ball but suspect defensively leads me to believe he'll play as a wing back.

How can anyone leave beany out. The guy buys goals from left wing

The same way fowler left him out most of the time at the end of last season. He doesn't fit that system unless he plays centrally.

Name one other player in squad that will give you double figure goals for a season from left wing

With the lower quality squad we have now beany is a must