The Queen of the South thread

I suppose a positive spin would say that it's all a bit exciting this summer.

We've been really stable by modern standards over the last couple of close seasons. That has of course been a huge plus for us and I'm not going to pretend that I'm pleased we've lost such talent.

However, I suppose there's plenty that's unknown this time round. Obviously that means there's plenty room for concern, but also for anticipation.

It'll be good to see how we line up when we get to the games and hopefully good to see how we get on too.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

The monkey playing tennis poster is quite correct. If we are already overachieving, then what is the point of turning up at games?

Not entirely sure that that's what I said.

I do think however that we're currently punching at about our weight - maybe just above. We're certainly not underachieving, but we're not doing outrageously well either.

Guest Flash

People like you make me want to go to games. Some of the dross on this site need a good bloody p**** *** * *** ****

This week the guest publication in the missing words round is Pie & Bovril.

Well fair enough with the first point - Chisholm is surely the best example of the phenomenon. (Edit to add that I've just noticed the same point from Flash)

However, I'm not accepting that Fowler's achieved more at Queens than Johnston did.

I like Fowler fine. I think he's done quite well so far, but that's all.

Surely no jury can return with a verdict on him until we get a decent view of how the side he's compiling, performs.

Agreed on your first and final paragraphs.

As for the middle one I suppose it's all relative. Johnston put two trophies in the cabinet but against inferior opposition. He is also an unknown at this level, and thus far a failure at the one above. Fowler hasn't achieved anything that hasn't already been done before, even by the much maligned clown, but he has done it against tougher opposition, and with much less experience than any of the others.

Don't get me wrong I like Johnston a lot, the reason for bringing him up was to highlight the fact that managers of a similar calibre to Fowler have been poached from us in the past.

The view that for us to knock about in the middle of the second tier represents some huge over achievement which can only be evidence of managerial genius, seems remarkably resilient; even though we've spent much of the last decade in just that territory.

We're gradually shaking off the diddy club tag, but you're right with what you say. We probably won't shake it off completely until we play in the top division. Even then we would have to stay up or be labelled one hit wonders.

After doing well in the televised games last season I can see us being the football hipsters choice next year. "Of course Queen of the South are always a tricky opponent with their counter attacking style" From some journo who has watched us twice but wants to sound edgy.

There is absolutely no chance we didn't offer one of our best players a contract. If Hilson wanted to go full time we weren't going to stand in his way but if he couldn't get a FT side then he would have more than likely signed up again at Forfar, even if he had other part time offers.

All the best to him though, deserves his shot at a higher league! Best played up front but does well out wide too. He can be anonymous at times but can pop up with a goal out of nothing.

That's what I said, Forfar DID offer him a contract and it looked at one point he was going to sign until full time club came in for him. And Hilson made it clear he wanted to go full time.

Loop

Not entirely sure that that's what I said.I do think however that we're currently punching at about our weight - maybe just above. We're certainly not underachieving, but we're not doing outrageously well either.

To be exact, I think Queens are one place above where they should be in Scottish Footballs natural order . As you say , not that startling . Falkirk and Dunfermline finished below us but are clearly bigger clubs than ourselves . On the other hand , Hamilton were well above us but are smaller than us . Accies are the real stars of our game with their present position. Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Agreed on your first and final paragraphs.

As for the middle one I suppose it's all relative. Johnston put two trophies in the cabinet but against inferior opposition. He is also an unknown at this level, and thus far a failure at the one above. Fowler hasn't achieved anything that hasn't already been done before, even by the much maligned clown, but he has done it against tougher opposition, and with much less experience than any of the others.

Don't get me wrong I like Johnston a lot, the reason for bringing him up was to highlight the fact that managers of a similar calibre to Fowler have been poached from us in the past.

We're gradually shaking off the diddy club tag, but you're right with what you say. We probably won't shake it off completely until we play in the top division. Even then we would have to stay up or be labelled one hit wonders.

After doing well in the televised games last season I can see us being the football hipsters choice next year. "Of course Queen of the South are always a tricky opponent with their counter attacking style" From some journo who has watched us twice but wants to sound edgy.

And the pitch, dont forget the pitch

Loop To be exact, I think Queens are one place above where they should be in Scottish Footballs natural order . As you say , not that startling . Falkirk and Dunfermline finished below us but are clearly bigger clubs than ourselves . On the other hand , Hamilton were well above us but are smaller than us . Accies are the real stars of our game with their present position.

Yip, that's about the size of it.

Morton are probably potentially bigger too (although they're now back with us) and Ayr are currently below where they should be, but the whole point of sport is hopefully that it's not all pre-ordained.

As you say, Hamilton are impressively placed, as are the Highland sides, with ICT obviously occupying a particularly elevated position.

All things considered, Queens are pretty much tucked into their rightful spot, inasmuch as there is such a place.

Loop

Yip, that's about the size of it.Morton are probably potentially bigger too (although they're now back with us) and Ayr are currently below where they should be, but the whole point of sport is hopefully that it's not all pre-ordained.As you say, Hamilton are impressively placed, as are the Highland sides, with ICT obviously occupying a particularly elevated position.All things considered, Queens are pretty much tucked into their rightful spot, inasmuch as there is such a place.

Just a quick response. I don't consider Morton or Ayr to be bigger than us , certainly not now . Growing up, as you will remember, these two were always higher placed than us , quite often in a higher league. That wasn't yesterday though . Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Loop Just a quick response. I don't consider Morton or Ayr to be bigger than us , certainly not now . Growing up, as you will remember, these two were always higher placed than us , quite often in a higher league. That wasn't yesterday though .

Agreed, but you don't need to trawl all the way back to our youth to find them stronger than their current berths.

FWIW, I see Ayr and Raith Rovers as the clubs most comparable to our own. I think that Morton probably are still a bit bigger, but the whole point of course, is that such things as relative statures are fluid.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Loop Just a quick response. I don't consider Morton or Ayr to be bigger than us , certainly not now . Growing up, as you will remember, these two were always higher placed than us , quite often in a higher league. That wasn't yesterday though .

Historical both of these teams carried a bigger support than us.

That's what I said, Forfar DID offer him a contract and it looked at oneDi point he was going to sign until full time club came in for him. And Hilson made it clear he wanted to go full time.
Do Queens have to pay a fee for Hilson if Forfar offered him a contract as he is 22.

Are Paton and McKenna gone now ?