The General Ross County Chat Thread

48 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Alasdair Fraser acknowledges existence of the release clause although Jimbo refuses to give detail (so there is one right?).

Woods playing hard ball on his transfer status and hints at something juicy behind the scenes.

I like the use of the phrase "midfield ace" to describe Woods. Based on what you lads have said about him "midfield space" might be better.

1 hour ago, bunglebonce said:

Alasdair Fraser acknowledges existence of the release clause although Jimbo refuses to give detail (so there is one right?).

Woods playing hard ball on his transfer status and hints at something juicy behind the scenes.

I infer from that article that he's being asked to move permanently to the area, and can't/won't because of his son.  Not exactly juicy, but at the same time, not exactly ideal.  He's digging his heels in for a pay off.  He's quite fond of himself, is our Martin.

Boyce is gone. Disappointed it's to utter shite like Burton Albion, but that's the market.  Nigel Clough seems like a bit of an arse.

39 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I infer from that article that he's being asked to move permanently to the area, and can't/won't because of his son.  Not exactly juicy, but at the same time, not exactly ideal.  

Alasdair doesn't think that, according to his Twitter.

15 hours ago, Staggie#Wearethehighlands said:

Fenlon Dreesen Balk Celcer emoji15.png

Jesus, those four couldn't do anything right. Balk at least looked slightly more competent in midfield.

Edited by Comrie

A number* of things:

1. The article on the official website about the new GM states that this coming season will be the sixth consecutive season in the top flight! How time flies!
  2. Burton Albion (despite the "diddy" connotations their sixth tier of English football name suggests) would be a good move for Boyce. There's a lot of dross in the Championship, so even if he struggles to adapt against the better teams, he'll still score a few. Also, he's going to leave County whether we like it or not: I'd take the fee (and a sell-on clause hopefully) rather than seeing him leave for nothing.
  3. Martin Woods is perfectly entitled to see out his contract in the stands but I hope he leaves. Frees up a wage and I'm not convinced he can't be improved upon. 
  4. I'm not entirely sure who is and who isn't signed up for next season?

*Four

On 13/06/2017 at 15:31, yoda said:

I'm not entirely sure who is and who isn't signed up for next season?

From here, re-formatted in order of position then contract duration.

GK:

Scott Fox - 2019
Aaron McCarey - 2018

DF:

Jason Naismith - 2020
Andrew Davies - 2019
Sean Kelly - 2019
Marcus Fraser - 2018
Jay McEveley - 2018

Reghan Tumilty - 2018

MF:

Ryan Dow - 2019
Tim Chow - 2018
Michael Gardyne - 2018
Chris Routis - 2018

Ian McShane - 2018 - asked to find a new club
Martin Woods - 2018 - asked to find a new club

Russell Dingwall - 2018
Dylan Dykes - 2018
Blair Malcolm - 2018

FW:

Liam Boyce - 2018
Craig Curran - 2018
Alex Schalk - 2018

Greg Morrison - 2019

------

If Woods and McShane do go and Boyce is sold as expected then there is a first team squad of 13.

A 4-4-2 system could look like this:

Fox

Fraser Davies McEveley Kelly

Gardyne Chow Routis Dow

Curran Schalk

(Subs: McCarey, Naismith, Tumilty, Malcolm, Dykes, Dingwall, Morrison)

A 3-5-2-ish system could look like this:

Fox

Fraser Davies McEveley

Naismith --- Chow --- Routis --- Gardyne
Dow

Schalk Curran

(Subs: McCarey, Tumilty, Kelly, Malcolm, Dykes, Dingwall, Morrison)

Edited by bunglebonce

I note that you don't put Kelly and Naismith in the same line-up.

I imagined Kelly coming in to a 3 -5-2 as a wing back, where Gardyne has been playing. Gardyne would go where you've got Dow. Dow could alternate with any of midfield or forwards as needed.

Similarly in 4-4-2 there would be the back 4 option of Naismith - Fraser - Davies - Kelly ,

and McEveley could then F right O, to the delight of many.

Something's a coming regarding the midfield, I reckon.  I looks a little on the light side in terms of flexibility and numbers - if, of course,  Lovejoy and Tinkler do depart.   Also seems to me that in both the formation JungleBouncer lists, the team is crying out for another wide midfielder.

Do folk think Morrison will make it?  The very little I see of him, yet again, cries not quite good enough, but I've only seen him play twice.  Of the many young players around the periphery of the squad, Dylan Dykes is the one I can see hanging around.  This Tumilty chap looks confident in the first team too, but I was really really impressed by Dykes' cameo against ICT.  

1 hour ago, Les Westander of County said:

I note that you don't put Kelly and Naismith in the same line-up.

I imagined Kelly coming in to a 3 -5-2 as a wing back, where Gardyne has been playing. Gardyne would go where you've got Dow. Dow could alternate with any of midfield or forwards as needed.

Similarly in 4-4-2 there would be the back 4 option of Naismith - Fraser - Davies - Kelly ,

and McEveley could then F right O, to the delight of many.

Someone has to give, if McEveley does stay. I can't see Fraser going out. Naismith and Kelly are the long term full backs in a back four, no question.

The last time Gardyne had a central role was 14/15 if I remember correctly - Alex Neil marked him out of a home loss to Hamilton.

Edited by bunglebonce

A player I'd like to see more involved in the first team is young Davis Keillor-Dunn

Watched him against Hamilton u20's in the big development side match at GES and he looked (bar Schalk) the only competent player that night

Good turn of pace, agile, skill full and has a good bit of flair, would add a different dimension while not costing a penny

Probably overreacting but mindful of last seasons stumbling start I need some reassurance that we are not repeating the same story. Our first competitive game is in four weeks, the manager is on holiday for another week, we look likely to lose Boyce and there is little public transfer activity.  Am I worrying unnecessarily ?

Probably overreacting but mindful of last seasons stumbling start I need some reassurance that we are not repeating the same story. Our first competitive game is in four weeks, the manager is on holiday for another week, we look likely to lose Boyce and there is little public transfer activity.  Am I worrying unnecessarily ?

I'm slightly concerned too. Central midfield still looks thin to me.