The General Ross County Chat Thread

On a bigger issue, I'll be honest. I love following County. However, I don't know if it's the weather, the isolation of the Highlands, but I do feel County have some of the most negative fans in the league. This goes back to the Highland league days. There was more positivity when the crowds were tiny and we were bottom of the Highland league! I often remember being in the jailend back then (used to swap sides at half time/visaversa). In some games, the first misplaced pass and some were yelling "your shite, you muppet... etc" at our own players. What that does to the confidence, only the mentally strongest players can deal with that. It's unbelievable and that is way before Malky. Even Kettlewell got totally slated. Look at him now, great stuff with Motherwell and good luck to him.

Compare County fans to, ok a much bigger club such as Portsmouth, a good friend is a season ticket holder, was telling me even when they were absolutely terrible to watch, getting hammered at home, the fans would still sing along, support the team. Even do things like "Let's pretend we scored a goal" when 5-0 down and go ballistic when the opposition were in total control. Really funny antics I thought. Even in crushing defeat, certain relegation many would make the most of their day. 

Who has the most positive fans outside the old firm? Motherwell? Dundee United, I don't know. Certainly not County that's for sure. When Macgregor leaves, even if we sink down the leagues then the youth may get more of a chance. To cut it in the top league, it's not just ability. Work ethic and attitude play a huge part.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Youd rather support a racist, homophobic, xenophobic, bigot, than read the words of someone who has a different opinion?

OOFT!

I'm not a Christian, or follow any specific religion (nor an athiest who believe as much in nothing as any religious person believes! However, when it comes to words I do believe in forgiveness. I endured horrendous bullying whilst at school, homophobia (LOTS), religious, football related bigotry. In the Highlands back then it was either Rangers or Celtic, it had to pretend to be one or the other and hope I'd choose the right answer or else a beating was on it's way. It was that bad. Few just supported Ross County back then. Yet I forgive them all, no grudges, but hey that's me. People make mistakes, big mistakes. I don't particularly follow or worship any football manager either. Like musicians, many are utter p***ks in real life. Don't meet your heroes. Yet I still like the music though. Even players these days, especially in the top leagues are only in it for themselves. In many ways I really miss the Highland league/Division 3 days. If County fell back to that when Macgregor leaves I think I'd enjoy that more than relegation battles, or Championship football which is getting worse and wore quality I hear from Caley fans. 

Even though he has totally sold out, I hated his support of the Qatar world cup, however David Beckham in an interview when he was at his peak was interviewed and asked how he could be such a genius at free kicks, crosses, with both feet. His answer was really simple, shit loads of practise. When other players were off home as soon as a practise session ended he would stay on. Keep practising, on&on. It's not just ability which obviously is huge. Few players have that work ethic. Most just want to go out, get pished and get laid.

I also recall, not so long ago hearing LOTS of racist, homophobic shite from our own supporters before cancel culture became a 'thing'. Where were your posts then? If there is one thing I do despise it's cancel culture. Especially when no physical harm caused. 

I really quite like St. Johnstone, don't understand why you too are clogging up this thread when there is much bigger fish to fry. Try posting frequently on the old firm threads perhaps, just an idea. Maybe a better use of your time... 

8 minutes ago, Sonam said:

Try posting frequently on the old firm threads perhaps, just an idea. Maybe a better use of your time... 

I do. Theres less whataboutery there than youre spewing all over this thread fwiw.

Go back to happy clapping your racist, homophobic, xenophobic, manager though amd trying to justify it by telling everyone theres worse out there.

2 hours ago, Staggie52 said:

Well, somebody’s upset.

Why? Because we disagree?

30 minutes ago, Steve Carrella said:

Rather amusing that some St Johnstone fans have just realised that Roy Macgregor is at the helm at County.  They are going to be shocked when they catch up with the news about the Hindenburg.

We've spoken about his spending for years, or at least i have.

Not a clue why theres suddenly a rush of new County posters desperately trying to get fans being positive and backing the club, and trying to persuade them to just ignore whos their manager is. All very odd.

Revisted this site recently.  Somewhat dismayed by 

A. The amount of other team supporters commenting. Persoally i have little interest in other teams discussions etc. apart from team news e.g. transfers. Mind your own business comes to mind, or maybe get a life.

B. The amount of coments by County supporters who seem to do nothing but spout what amounts to bile and at times hatred. For some of them its time to move on, literally. Comment by all means on tactics, performances , signings etc. but save us the nastiness. On the pitch this kind of negativity does any good. No player goes out to have a bad game or make mistakes. They go out to do their best. They know if theve made a mistake, it doesnt take the crowd to alert them to the fact. All it does is further dent their confidence.

Anyway I'd rather be a happy clapper than a grumpy negative git who seems to take more pleasure from negativity than actually supporting the team .

Looks like we've made some good signings and have a mixture of youth and experience although a CB would be nice. Its going to be tough, it always is but personally id rather this than supporting a team that is expected to win every week , and usuall does. Highs and lows but who would have believed that last game of the season. Seems to me there is something in the meaning of supporter that suggests following the team through thick and thin. So ill keep on bv eing a happy clapper and hope County can put a smile on my fisog and leave the gurners to gurn and the haters to hate.

21 hours ago, Comrie said:

I was confident and upbeat about our signings last season. Especially Olaigbe.

Think we have learned from last seaon and yo have a mainly Scottish flavour this season is what is required for spfl.

Not sure about the lad from the English 7th tier seems a strange one but all the others it would appear fit the method for this season.

We can only wait and see but there seems like a decent plan in place.

Of course fans of other clubs have an opinion.  That’s why this is P&B and not OverTheBridge. 

Personally, I would love it if County usually won.  Malky’s hoofball doesn’t make that terribly likely.  

You do have a point about the West Stand massif though.  Never seen a player they actually like.  

4 hours ago, Sonam said:

On a bigger issue, I'll be honest. I love following County. However, I don't know if it's the weather, the isolation of the Highlands, but I do feel County have some of the most negative fans in the league. This goes back to the Highland league days. There was more positivity when the crowds were tiny and we were bottom of the Highland league! I often remember being in the jailend back then (used to swap sides at half time/visaversa). In some games, the first misplaced pass and some were yelling "your shite, you muppet... etc" at our own players. What that does to the confidence, only the mentally strongest players can deal with that. It's unbelievable and that is way before Malky. Even Kettlewell got totally slated. Look at him now, great stuff with Motherwell and good luck to him.

Compare County fans to, ok a much bigger club such as Portsmouth, a good friend is a season ticket holder, was telling me even when they were absolutely terrible to watch, getting hammered at home, the fans would still sing along, support the team. Even do things like "Let's pretend we scored a goal" when 5-0 down and go ballistic when the opposition were in total control. Really funny antics I thought. Even in crushing defeat, certain relegation many would make the most of their day. 

Who has the most positive fans outside the old firm? Motherwell? Dundee United, I don't know. Certainly not County that's for sure. When Macgregor leaves, even if we sink down the leagues then the youth may get more of a chance. To cut it in the top league, it's not just ability. Work ethic and attitude play a huge part.

Spot on sir and we'll said, however it's a sad state of affairs nowadays  same at most clubs .

Real fans in the minority  critics in the majority.

Sad really.

Edited by Sammy

1 minute ago, Sammy said:

Think we have learned from last seaon and yo have a mainly Scottish flavour this season is what is required for spfl.

Not sure about the lad from the English 7th tier seems a strange one but all the others it would appear fit the method for this season.

We can only wait and see but there seems like a decent plan in place.

Nothing to do with nationality, and everything to do with ability.  Also mostly players who are likely to be around if they go down.  The loan players last season were a shambles, and the only one who wasn’t has come back permanently.  

George Harmon is a far better left back than Josh Reid.  He came from Oxford City as a motivated employee. I have no clue what Sheaf is like, but Harmon is the precedent.  

46 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I’ve no idea why the poster in question was going off on one, but he was clearly upset.

There does seem to be some posters who think any questioning of the running of the club means that you’re somehow being negative and that supposed negativity will affect our performance. Not sure why they think that or why they get so upset, but I’d prefer friendly discussion to their approach.

58 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We've spoken about his spending for years, or at least i have.

Not a clue why theres suddenly a rush of new County posters desperately trying to get fans being positive and backing the club, and trying to persuade them to just ignore whos their manager is. All very odd.

It certainly feels like years have rolled by reading some of these last few pages.

If there are new County posters, why would you care, and as for fans being positive and backing the club. Good on them, Imo we've just signed 6 new players to improve our squad, 5 of which are quite well known to us and DO actually appear to be good additions. Why would a County supporter, new to the forum or not, not feel positive about it.

32 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Nothing to do with nationality, and everything to do with ability.  Also mostly players who are likely to be around if they go down.  The loan players last season were a shambles, and the only one who wasn’t has come back permanently.  

George Harmon is a far better left back than Josh Reid.  He came from Oxford City as a motivated employee. I have no clue what Sheaf is like, but Harmon is the precedent.  

You don't know what Josh is like now tbf.

He could be better than Harmon who knows.

Think you have taken my post out of the context in what it was meant.

Scottish players know what the spfl is like and not as much as a risk as English players.

This season we are taking the less risky route.

4 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Why would a County supporter, new to the forum or not, not feel positive about it.

They can feel what they like, but im always suspicious when a spate come on to spam the thread with positivity and have go at folk who dont like the club vastly overspending or having Malky as manager.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They can feel what they like, but im always suspicious when a spate come on to spam the thread with positivity and have go at folk who dont like the club vastly overspending or having Malky as manager.

I don't understand why you give a flying f**k, what are you suspicious about?

I thought I spelt out what the NEW news was that had just happened at OUR club. We've just signed 5 (hopefully) decent players, plus an unknown who sounds decent too, just allow people some happiness and possibly a little optimism. 

3 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

I don't understand why you give a flying f**k, what are you suspicious about?

Because it feels very much like theres a push to try and make people forget that a total bigot is hired by a top flight football club.

Much like the Goodwillie stuff, it shouldnt just be brushed off and forgotten about because time has passed.

6 hours ago, Sonam said:

The problem with you Forkboy (hope your name is based on the Lard song, at least then you may have slight taste. Doubt it though...). Is you keep making the same points ENDLESSLY. You may as well just copy & paste forever. Have you got nothing better to do with your sad life? Are you even a County fan? Play a f'in different record for once!! You have a right to express your view, but we read and understood you the 1st time. I respect that, but to keep making the exact same points on&on&on is worse than any Caley fan does.

If there is one good thing about Malky is it keeps people like you away. Stay away, one less extremely negative idiot in the stadium thank God!!

It's a new season on the way and you are constantly forever negative. You are worse than any ICT fan or even dare I say some old firm fans. The sectarian bile that gets spewed out when the old firm play, why don't you clog up their threads, but you don't. Why is that? Are you an old firm fan at heart. Is that your 2nd team FFS!! Hypocrite if so. Are you forever bitter, constantly holding a grudge. Broken marriage, kids don't want to see you. Something is clearly wrong with you. Lots don't post here, just read as I mostly do, to say your posts are tiresome now is a bloody understatement. Go watch Clach, ICT, Nairn County, Brora or some team. You seem a sour pathetic individual. We read, understood and got your point the first time. It's like an annoying song constantly on repeat. Give it a break FFS!!

Fair enough if you find it boring & tiresome but trying to imply I'm an Old Firm fan is just too far.

What's funny is that I don't actually think I'm particularly negative about County, except when there's things to be negative about. And even ignoring the stuff about Malky's past, we're coming off a season where we finished 11th & scraped through the playoffs on penalties, while playing quite brutal & often futile hoofball so aye, there's been stuff to be negative about, & seeing as, despite the signings, most of the squad from last season are still here aside from the loanees, Iacovitti, Watson & Cancola, I'm not getting carried away yet, positively or negatively, about next season. I certainly hope bringing back Josh Reid works out, when he left he showed good promise. But there's no point pretending there's not question marks over him because he has barely played first team football since January 2021. I'm happy they brought in Brophy based on what we got to see of him, if he'd not been unlucky with injury we'd probably not have finished 11th, but I also think a 6 figure fee is a lot of money for Ross County to spend. And yes, it's MacGregor's money, that's fine. But if he got struck by lightning tomorrow then the club isn't necessarily in a great place. And I care about that because regardless of what you think I do actually care quite passionately about Ross County. Club is bigger than the manager or the owner or even a particularly sad & forever bitter fan for that matter.

Ironically none of this is new stuff I'm saying but because you decided to go for a weirdly disproportionate & personal attack I felt compelled to repeat it all, which doesn't really seem like what you were trying to achieve. Something to consider for next time you get this angry?

(And yes, the name is taken from the Lard song. Even the bitter can like good tunes!)

Edited by forkboy