The General Ross County Chat Thread

On 21/11/2023 at 13:59, Matty-RCFC said:

It’s Adams for me. Yes, McIntyre gave the club its greatest honour and one of the best days of my life. However, to go 35 matches unbeaten and skoosh a league we were definitely not expected to win is unrivalled. To then go into the next season as stonewall favourites to be second bottom and be within touching distance of a European spot is immense. 

Was it not 40 league games unbeaten? The last 34 of the First Division season (after a 5-1 pumping at Accies in our second game) & the first six of our SPL debut? Could be completely mixing up seasons, here.

20 hours ago, Pete the Jakey said:

Yeah, I'll admit I'm on a sticky wicket here.  However I do find it a little ironic that for someone who is so principled as to boycott their supposed football club then wants to spend their first game back abusing a linesman, albeit a Tory linesman.   

The difference is Douglas Ross chose to be a Tory, so slagging him for it is fair game. The other chap was picking on people for a variety of less savoury reasons. You know this.

On 22/11/2023 at 01:58, forkboy said:

Ah, how exciting, first game back and I get to give some abuse to that Tory arsehole into the bargain

On 22/11/2023 at 13:35, Pete the Jakey said:

A fan who's boycotted the club due to abusive text messages is excited to "give some abuse to that Tory arsehole".  

Sending abusive text messages: bad.  Abusing officials: good.

Did I mention that football fans are fickle?

21 hours ago, morrison said:

...The difference is Douglas Ross chose to be a Tory, so slagging him for it is fair game. The other chap was picking on people for a variety of less savoury reasons. You know this.

It's the expressed "excitement" to be able to attend a match and abuse someone.

I dislike many things that Douglas Ross stands for in his political career and have disagreed with a few of his decisions when he's been a linesman. It's never crossed my mind to abuse someone at a County match, or to express excitement at the prospect of it. Strange behaviour imo and not something I'm used to seeing or hearing at a game at Vicky park.

Edited by Sensible Soccer🏴

22 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Strange behaviour imo and not something I'm used to seeing or hearing at a game at Vicky park.

I’m with you there, I’ve never heard anyone in the ground abuse a referee or assistant no matter what happens on the pitch. I haven’t heard cries of “cheat” when a player dives or feigns injury, never heard our team booed of the pitch, never heard individual players being booed and cat-called, or have I?

17 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

Who will be the first player on Derek Adams’ naughty step?

It’s had an illustrious past, my favourite was probably Paul Lawson for the cup final vs Dundee Utd. 

Eamonn Brophy for sure

1 hour ago, Pete the Jakey said:

It’s had an illustrious past, my favourite was probably Paul Lawson for the cup final vs Dundee Utd. 

I think that was less naughty step and more Adams showing loyalty to the XI who won the semi. Lawson was injured at the semi-final. Looking back, it's a pity we never saw the quartet of Brittain-Lawson-Kettlewell-Vigurs start the final, having looked so promising at the start of that season and then having a great 2011/12 together. You can't argue against sticking with what got them to the final, however.

Lawson was on the naughty step for four months in late-2012, however. I've said it repeatedly that had we played Lawson rather than persisting with Mark Fotheringham as the holding midfielder during that time, County would have turned a few more losses into draws and finished ahead of either or both of ICT and St Johnstone that season. 

The new naughty step is going to be for one of the strikers for sure. 

Edited by bunglebonce

2 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

I think that was less naughty step and more Adams showing loyalty to the XI who won the semi. Lawson was injured at the semi-final. Looking back, it's a pity we never saw the quartet of Brittain-Lawson-Kettlewell-Vigurs start the final, having looked so promising at the start of that season and then having a great 2011/12 together. You can't argue against sticking with what got them to the final, however.

Lawson was on the naughty step for four months in late-2012, however. I've said it repeatedly that had we played Lawson rather than persisting with Mark Fotheringham as the holding midfielder during that time, County would have turned a few more losses into draws and finished ahead of either or both of ICT and St Johnstone that season. 

The new naughty step is going to be for one of the strikers for sure. 

I'll always remember the foul mood you were in after the 0-0 draw at Pittodrie in the second game of 12-13. At times it felt like Adams was playing a back nine in the first half of that season before Lawson and the new signings replaced dynamic players like Russell Duncan and Ross Tokely.

7 hours ago, Pete the Jakey said:

Simon Murray, he always looks so raging about everything I'm sure Adams will handle that well.

14 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I'll always remember the foul mood you were in after the 0-0 draw at Pittodrie in the second game of 12-13. At times it felt like Adams was playing a back nine in the first half of that season before Lawson and the new signings replaced dynamic players like Russell Duncan and Ross Tokely.

Funny what time does, because now I look back at the start of that season and think that Adams was correct, to just try to collect some clean sheets while the team adjusted to the league. It was the form in November and December, with Lawson barely making the bench, that cost us a European place as much as anything else.

On 23/11/2023 at 12:24, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

It's the expressed "excitement" to be able to attend a match and abuse someone.

I dislike many things that Douglas Ross stands for in his political career and have disagreed with a few of his decisions when he's been a linesman. It's never crossed my mind to abuse someone at a County match, or to express excitement at the prospect of it. Strange behaviour imo and not something I'm used to seeing or hearing at a game at Vicky park.

You’ve never abused anyone at a football game? Ever?

I find that really really difficult to believe.

Well, what are folks thoughts on County's performance in the match against Killie today?

After a bright opening 15mins where we could/should have scored. I thought that that was the worst I seen us play in a very long time, not 1 shot on goal in the whole 2nd half, against a very poor Killie team, that were there for the taking imo.

There seemed a real reluctance to commit players forward to support any attack, then the whole defence would sit far too deep and invite Killie onto them, when out of possession. Also substitutions were far too late in a match where things were clearly not working.