The General Ross County Chat Thread

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's pointless using the games against Raith, IMO. The quality gap on show was too large.

Don has done well in his two matches against teams of a lower quality.

Steven Maclean managed a grand total of 1 win against Stirling Albion, Alloa, Stenhousemuir and Ayr, for f**k sake. 

So in that respect, I guess they’re nothing alike.

Edited by Matty-RCFC

2 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Don has done well in his two matches against teams of a lower quality.

Steven Maclean managed a grand total of 1 win against Stirling Albion, Alloa, Stenhousemuir and Ayr, for f**k sake. 

So in that respect, I guess they’re nothing alike.

Only if you ignore MacLeans run of games before he built his own squad.

Posted (edited)

Don Cowie played ball in The Barclays and represented this proud nation at international level. Steven Maclean clogged about in the Coca-Cola Championship for a few years. They are not the same.

Edited by yoda

17 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

I don’t understand what you mean by this. 

You're using MacLeans results after the summer window to say he's nothing like Cowie, when my entire point is they both had success (which amounted to simply being better than the awfulness before them) with someone else's squad, and it might fall apart for Cowie when he builds his own.

He was averaging a point a game with Dhanda and Murray being matchwinners.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You're using MacLeans results after the summer window to say he's nothing like Cowie, when my entire point is they both had success (which amounted to simply being better than the awfulness before them) with someone else's squad, and it might fall apart for Cowie when he builds his own.

He was averaging a point a game with Dhanda and Murray being matchwinners.

Unlike MacLean though he looks like he's had human interaction before when he's interviewed.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's pointless using the games against Raith, IMO. The quality gap on show was too large.

I'm just finding the hype/belief in Cowie surprising. He has 4 wins in 15 in the league, one a win against Rangers that will be a struggle to repeat next season due to the situation Rangers were in. Lost 7 of the 15, and his points average was roughly what County managed this season anyway.

I think you might have misread the room slightly. I don't think anyone's getting especially carried away, but it comes across as though you've maybe got the impression they are, and that is why you are pursuing this so hard. I genuinely think everyone is rather level-headedly "happy enough", seeing that there has been undeniable improvement and steadying of the ship under Cowie, and optimistic that the season ahead might, as a result (and providing recruitment is decent) be a bit less miserable than the previous couple. 

Edited by The Great Stagsby

Don is a thoroughly good bloke, and I believe he will be around for years.

He'll have enough contacts around football to get players in, and he's aware of what the club is and where it is. 

I used to kick a ball about with Don when we were kids, he was a pretty quiet kid, went on to have an amazing career. And I think the plan always was to come back home and get into management. 

Don isn't the sort of guy to forget where he came from, and it would take a very very good offer to get him away if it all goes well. But he needs to be given time and support to succeed, by the board and by the fans. 

The difference in the team is plain to see, they knock the ball about, keep it as much as possible, but also not afraid to change it and go long if that's what's required. 

Our seasons always hinge on signings, unfortunately we are a player merry-go-round where nobody will stay for too long. 3/4 poor performer's can ruin our season. But we seem to do well at unearthing a decent player now and then. Boyce, Irvine, RCC, Dhanda. And with the right manager with the right ideas he will hopefully motivate them to push on. 

Sad to see Dhanda go, but it's maybe going to help us attract players, players may want to come here and play out of their skin and get a move to a bigger club. We've always been good at kick starting players careers who are maybe a bit down on their luck.  Come to County and revitalize yourself.

But you'll be expected to train here and not 138 miles away 👀 

Got Don/Chipper to once play a game of cricket at castle leod, he said he enjoyed it and he came across as a top top bloke. As far as I'm concerned he can spunk the Roy budget and still come out like Mr Teflon😎😎

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm just finding the hype/belief in Cowie surprising. He has 4 wins in 15 in the league, one a win against Rangers that will be a struggle to repeat next season due to the situation Rangers were in. Lost 7 of the 15, and his points average was roughly what County managed this season anyway.

You're not seeing the forest for the trees. And no one is head over heels with wild expectations, but don't forget who County's previous managers have been. In contrast Don, despite the inexperience, is just a steadying of the ship. Low bar I'll grant you, especially after Adams bizarre (even by his own standards) tenure.

Obviously his first transfer window will be a huge test, whether it's going the Malky scattergun that did find Dhanda but also found some guys who shouldn't be playing for some Highland League sides, or hopefully something less wasteful.

A fairly quiet, calm, nice manager, even without the consideration of his status as a local hero is a nice one eighty and it's not as if we're not going to be taking a flyer on whoever came in as manager, Klopp is unlikely to postpone his retirement for a trip to Dingwall. So even someone like Rhys McCabe who I fancied when Adams was binned would be a risk. Don at least showed something steadying the ship and came within a handful of goals from 10th place. If it doesn't work then it doesn't work but he did enough to at least get a shot as far as I and seemingly most County fans are concerned

We will play Raith, Hamilton, Stirling and Stranraer in this season’s League Cup Group Stages. Given how the fixtures tend to fall, I suspect it will be:

Stranraer (A) - July 13th

Raith Rovers (H) - July 20th

Hamilton Academical (A) - July 23rd

Stirling Albion (H) - July 27th

Could be wrong, of course.

Just now, Matty-RCFC said:

We will play Raith, Hamilton, Stirling and Stranraer in this season’s League Cup Group Stages. Given how the fixtures tend to fall, I suspect it will be:

Stranraer (A) - July 13th

Raith Rovers (H) - July 20th

Hamilton Academical (A) - July 23rd

Stirling Albion (H) - July 27th

Could be wrong, of course.

That group has surprise knock out written all over it.  Ross County vs Raith is the new Scotland vs Israel. 

10 minutes ago, Lanky Highlander said:

Wonder when new season’s kit gets released? 

The away has been at the club since before the Livingston game, so as to avoid this year’s “too dark” nonsense.  I read into that it would be yellow or white.  

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

The away has been at the club since before the Livingston game, so as to avoid this year’s “too dark” nonsense.  I read into that it would be yellow or white.  

Hope so. That maroon monstrosity was a complete miss hit.

https://www.rosscountyfootballclub.co.uk/news-items/initial-squad-update-end-of-23-24-season

Dhanda & Tillson confirmed away as already common knowledge. Wright and MacKinnon also being released. No word of Harmon, Sims, Callachan or Efete so can only assume they are being offered new deals? Given this is an "initial" update, a further one may follow

23 minutes ago, MarkPockets said:

https://www.rosscountyfootballclub.co.uk/news-items/initial-squad-update-end-of-23-24-season

Dhanda & Tillson confirmed away as already common knowledge. Wright and MacKinnon also being released. No word of Harmon, Sims, Callachan or Efete so can only assume they are being offered new deals? Given this is an "initial" update, a further one may follow

Cowie's clearly the better judge but I'd hoped that Wright & especially MacKinnon could be developed into something useful for the 1st team.

🤷🏼‍♂️

2 hours ago, MarkPockets said:

I’d be very surprised if Harmon wasn’t their first priority. I think he’s a very decent player.    Sims I thought would leave last season, but since Christmas he’s been a bit more effective.  Keep.  Callachan absoluteky loves it here, so I think he’d be easy to negotiate with.    On the fence.    He can be at least as effective as Turner.  Efete didn’t look any better than Brown .   Would be surprised if he came back.  

Dhanda will be missed.  I see he’s responded to every single good luck message on instagram.  What a fella.