The General Ross County Chat Thread

County were in for Faddy before he came to us, weren't you? He's been told we won't be renewing his contract.

Not really. It was idle speculation at the very most. I'd take him now, certainly, though.

I don't, but the players mentioned are scraping the barrel a bit.

Ok, we'll ask the guys to start inventing some better rumours than the ones they've invented so far.

So I hear we're interested in Shaun St. Ledger and Leroy Lita.

:ph34r:

He did OK in the SPL last time around in a dreadful Dunfermline team, but there are some Rovers fans who would happily release him so make of that what you will.

Personally I'm not massively bothered but I'd definitely have rather he stayed. Not sure he'll be good enough in the Premier in all honesty, he was absolutely dreadful at times last season.

Agree with Paco. I really wanted to keep him though as on his days he's terrific. Far too inconsistent though, he had a few absolute shockers last season where everything seemed to go wrong for him when he got the ball. Know as 'TV' Cardle he had his best performances in the big cup games this year. A bit of a back handed compliment really as while has was great in the big games he really didn't show in the proverbial 'cold Tuesday in December' types and didn't always play even close to as well as he is clearly capable of. His constant cutting inside will annoy you if it's not working on that particular day but if you can get the best out of him every week I'm sure you'll have a capable lower-end SPL player.

Edited by Enigma

Does he behave himself these days? I seem to remember he got sacked by Airdrie for doing something daft.

He seemed one of our more level headed and sensible players. That may say more about the rest of our squad than him. I've not heard of him being sacked from Airdrie, he doesn't seem the type. He has a kid these days so many he was just a daft laddie and has calmed down a bit now? I don't know.

Edited by Enigma

He's been linked with a move to St Mirren, a bit of a debate about whether it was a one or two year contract, may just be another rumour.

It was definitely reported as a two-year deal at the time, but recent anecdotal evidence suggests otherwise I guess.

Wow, I didn't fully believe it until I read that link.

"We have signed an out and out winger. Joe is very creative and direct which will suit our style of play."

Unless Adams is changing his style of play then I don't know what that means, really.

He could be a direct replacement for Carey - if he goes - but this seems to me to be more of an upgrade on Alex Cooper: a dynamic player who he can turn to if a change of tactics is needed i.e. a regular bench-warmer who Adams uses as the first sub to open a game up when the narrow midfield isn't working, with a around a dozen starts to keep things fresh.

Adams has never fully utilised wingers in his team - Ivan Sproule was probably the only first-choice winger the club's had under his management. That was mostly because of how extremely direct he was and that fitted the strategic circumstances at the time perfectly (when County played differently at the start of 2013-14 Sproule suffered when asked to be more of a conventional winger).

It's a shame that Oikonomou is away, because with Cardle cutting in Oik would have had the freedom of the left flank to express himself.

ETA: I've always liked him as a player, but he doesn't get to the bye-line enough, which makes me think that either County are looking at 4-2-3-1 long term (unlikely) or he'll be mostly used as the first change.

Edited by bunglebonce

It was definitely reported as a two-year deal at the time, but recent anecdotal evidence suggests otherwise I guess.

Wow, I didn't fully believe it until I read that link.

"We have signed an out and out winger. Joe is very creative and direct which will suit our style of play."

Unless Adams is changing his style of play then I don't know what that means, really.

He could be a direct replacement for Carey - if he goes - but this seems to me to be more of an upgrade on Alex Cooper: a dynamic player who he can turn to if a change of tactics is needed i.e. a regular bench-warmer who Adams uses as the first sub to open a game up when the narrow midfield isn't working.

Adams has never fully utilised wingers in his team - Ivan Sproule was probably the only first-choice winger the club's had under his management. That was mostly because of how extremely direct he was and that fitted the strategic circumstances at the time perfectly (when Adams's team played differently at the start of 2013-14 Sproule suffered when asked to be more of a conventional winger).

It's a shame that Oikonomou is away, because with Cardle cutting in Oik would have had the freedom of the left flank to express himself.

Thats pretty much how our system worked down the left very effectively for the first half of the season with Callum Booth from Hibs overlapping Cardle when he was cutting inside

Welcome on board, Joltin' Joe. Does rather suggest Carey's for the chop, which is a bit of a shame. Hopefully either Joltin' Joe Cardle or Joltin' Darren Maatsen step it up next year - but I wouldn't want to be relying on either of them on a regular basis just yet. Nice to have some genuine width in the team though.

If anything, though, Ben Gordon is more of a bombing on full back than Oik was, so I can see that combo on the left being quite fruitful.

Despite the utterly insane rumours on twitter, I don't think our off-season is going to be limited to Joe Cardle, and I don't think Mark Brown will be our first choice keeper.

Hopefully Joe does well for you. Can't grudge him another chance at the top level, although he can be inconsistent.

As mentioned, Cardle performed better during the big games for us, namely on TV. He'll cut inside a lot but occasionally grabs himself a goal in doing so. He can be useful in count-attacks and showed good composure if he ever got the break on a defence and was played in one on one.