The General Ross County Chat Thread

Losing Murray would be huge, yet I think we could find someone if it came to that. Would take a lot of extremely clever scouting & dealing to attract someone with similar calibre. It's the attitude he has on the team which spreads too. Superb player to have and who knows when he retires may make a great coach/manager too if he wanted to go that way. Opportunities at County for a player that tries so hard on the pitch and gives 100%. County LEGEND even if he leaves, wish him all the best.

For his children, can only speak from my own experiences that growing up in the Highlands was an amazing experience! Don't care what city it is, unmatchable really. Hope he reads this to be honest. Also Dingwall Primary / Academy or a fair few of the Inverness schools are quite decent these days. Better than any city schools IMO. 

11 hours ago, Sonam said:

For his children, can only speak from my own experiences that growing up in the Highlands was an amazing experience! Don't care what city it is, unmatchable really. Hope he reads this to be honest. Also Dingwall Primary / Academy or a fair few of the Inverness schools are quite decent these days. Better than any city schools IMO. 

Hate to be that guy but I'm not so sure the schooling is 'unmatchable' if you don't know Inverness is a city M8.

7 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Hate to be that guy but I'm not so sure the schooling is 'unmatchable' if you don't know Inverness is a city M8.

Inverness is a city in the same way as Duncan Ferguson is a football manager. Technically true but…

20 hours ago, Sonam said:

Losing Murray would be huge, yet I think we could find someone if it came to that. Would take a lot of extremely clever scouting & dealing to attract someone with similar calibre. It's the attitude he has on the team which spreads too. Superb player to have and who knows when he retires may make a great coach/manager too if he wanted to go that way. Opportunities at County for a player that tries so hard on the pitch and gives 100%. County LEGEND even if he leaves, wish him all the best.

Fortrose Academy is the power in these waters. 

8 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Yeah, I get what you mean. It still feels like a nice large town of sorts to me. I really like the size of it, not top big, not too small. There are some alright schools. I certainly know a couple of much tougher schools say in Aberdeen for example. I know schools get a lot of flak here, but I returned to a couple when I was doing supply teaching and I was really impressed with how much they have improved since the 1980s!!!

Even with restaurants & pubs, there are some nice ones. You've got beautiful 'world class' areas to live.  For example, I heard a year or so ago Terry Butcher still owned a stunning house overlooking Loch Ness. If I was a fairly well paid footballer, that is exactly what I'd be doing! I would be having the time of my life. Sadly, I never had any football skills. For those that do, doesn't take much imagination to create a fantastic life here. Dundee for example still can be visited, a pain to train it to, Edinburgh & Glasgow not too far away. Personally I just don't get why footballers get 'homesick' here.

P&J: https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/ross-county/6501568/steven-ferguson-provides-ross-county-transfer-window-update/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Steven Ferguson provides Ross County transfer window update
The Staggies are stepping up their preparations for the new Premiership season.

by Andy Skinner
June 13 2024, 5:00 pm

Steven Ferguson says Ross County are in discussions with a number of prospective new signings.

County are planning for a sixth successive season in the Premiership, after Don Cowie guided them to safety through the play-offs in his spell as interim manager.

Following the 6-1 aggregate win over Raith Rovers, Staggies chairman Roy MacGregor confirmed Cowie will be the man to lead the club forward.

County remain in talks with four players who are out of contract, and are believed to be getting closer to reaching agreements with full backs George Harmon and Michee Efete.

Talks also remain ongoing with winger Josh Sims and midfielder Ross Callachan.

Ferguson says efforts to strengthen the squad are also underway, with the Staggies chief executive revealing Cowie is targeting around six players who can make an instant impact in his first team.

He said: “We are speaking to five or six new players around bringing them to the club.

“We look at the current squad we’ve got, and we’ve got a good group there.

“We will be looking to bring in probably six players into the group – and six players that will have a big part to play in the first team setup.

“That is what we are looking to recruit. That’s well underway, we are in discussions with individuals and trying to cast the net as wide as we can to give us the best chance to get a player that will fit what we are looking for.”

Budget will allow Staggies to compete in Premiership
Although County’s will be among the lowest playing budgets in the top division, Ferguson is confident the Staggies can provide Cowie with the tools he requires to carry on the strong work he started after taking the interim reins in February.

Ferguson added: “The budget last year was similar to the year before, when we finished again in 11th place.

“We will try to support the football department as best we can. But there needs to be an acknowledgment that we need to think smarter, and spend wisely.

“We will have a budget that we believe we are able to compete in the Premiership with.

“But looking at the table this year we will again have one of the smallest budgets in the league actually spent on the playing group.”

1 hour ago, StuartTaylor said:

But looking at the table this year we will again have one of the smallest budgets in the league actually spent on the playing group.”

Pretending to not be spending a fortune is a fair old shtick. 

Seeing as it’s radio silence - I haven’t even seen County linked in dispatches to anyone - here’s a fun quiz.  How many County players played for Scotland. 

7 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Seeing as it’s radio silence - I haven’t even seen County linked in dispatches to anyone - here’s a fun quiz.  How many County players played for Scotland. 

Was one I couldn't get- don't even remember him at County at all.

3 minutes ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

I like Harmon, one of out more consistent and dependable players from last season so great to see him stay.

He’s our best left back.  

9 minutes ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

I like Harmon, one of out more consistent and dependable players from last season so great to see him stay.

Played very well towards end of season. Happy with that.

29 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Is that Paul Cowie coming back to Dingwall as a coach?

You’d assume so, wouldn’t you.  Assistant to Don, or to replace Tremarco who’ll be assistant to Don?

1 hour ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

Excellent news. Still fairly young too so plenty of scope to develop as a player.