The General Ross County Chat Thread

I guess the squad is just about where it’s going to be. For me, it isn’t any stronger than last season and with Dhanda away and Murray just about, our midfield and attack are weaker. It looks like a solid Championship side to me. Cowie’s job is to turn that into a Premiership side, hopefully he’ll do it, but I’m not confident. Hope somebody out there can reassure me…

I think the main thing to look at here is how Don gets these players working together. 

Don's a clever guy and he has the clubs best interests at heart. I also firmly believe he will get a tube out of these players. 

Murray isn't away yet, although I do expect him to go, but is anyone going to pay the money for him? 

I like the contract lengths of the players work out. But I do expect a couple of loanees to come in the door over the next couple of weeks. 

1 minute ago, Riz said:

Don's a clever guy and he has the clubs best interests at heart. I also firmly believe he will get a tube out of these players. 

Really hope that was supposed to say "tune". Concerning and potentially painful otherwise...

30 minutes ago, Staggie52 said:

I guess the squad is just about where it’s going to be. For me, it isn’t any stronger than last season and with Dhanda away and Murray just about, our midfield and attack are weaker. It looks like a solid Championship side to me. Cowie’s job is to turn that into a Premiership side, hopefully he’ll do it, but I’m not confident. Hope somebody out there can reassure me…

The midfield is definitely a concern.  No question it’s weaker than last season. 

27 minutes ago, Riz said:

I think the main thing to look at here is how Don gets these players working together. 

Murray isn't away yet, although I do expect him to go, but is anyone going to pay the money for him? 

I like the contract lengths of the players work out. But I do expect a couple of loanees to come in the door over the next couple of weeks. 

Murray is away.  Someone has overpaid for him.  As is Sims. 

I rather get the feeling Cowie isn’t as keen on the loan system.  And I’m delighted. It almost never works out for us. 

I see someone on the Northampton forum is saying they spent 500k on Baldwin. 

Interested to see how the lad Hale gets on, whilst their league isn't quite up to standard fitness (or quality) wise, at least he has played fairly regularly so should be there or thereabouts to get up to speed. 

19 minutes ago, Staggie52 said:

Baldwin & Murray were big ones to replace within the squad. We're there with Wright & Hale.

There's the English loan market, which we're bound to have a few iron's in the fire for, which will supplement the current group.

We still haven't heard anything about Sims, so I suppose he's probably away but I would have liked him to stay, he's a good ball carrier, even if he was too hesitant on pulling the trigger at times, but maybe he'll be return.

19 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Baldwin & Murray were big ones to replace within the squad. We're there with Wright & Hale.

I wasn’t overly concerned about Baldwin,  as others have said, good penalty box defender but a bombscare outside it and I’ll not say anything about the number and accuracy of his long throws.

I hope you’re right about Hale, but I can’t see that it’s a given unless you know more about him than I do. I notice you don’t mention midfield, we struggled there last year with Dhanda, and I haven’t seen a replacement. Telfer might come good, but again it’s not a given. Don’t want to be too pessimistic but I’m certainly not optimistic as yet.

1 hour ago, UAE1929 said:

I see someone on the Northampton forum is saying they spent 500k on Baldwin. 

Let’s hope that’s true but I struggle to see it being right, let’s hope Baldwin and maybe Murray’s fees are greater than what we paid for Hale and Wright, at least we are getting in fees for older players which is good albeit I’d rather we kept Murray. 

Have to say I didn't expect Baldwin to be leaving this window. Not sure what to make of it really, but if the 500K is anywhere near to being accurate then it's good business for us. Would that not be a new record?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what Hale can do. It's quite refreshing to fend off interest from down south and land a player we've been after. Still 2 or 3 decent signings short though, I reckon.

Just now, central staggie said:

Have to say I didn't expect Baldwin to be leaving this window. Not sure what to make of it really, but if the 500K is anywhere near to being accurate then it's good business for us. Would that not be a new record?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what Hale can do. It's quite refreshing to fend off interest from down south and land a player we've been after. Still 2 or 3 decent signings short though, I reckon.

We got 500k plus unmet add-ons for Liam Boyce.  If we’ve got anything close to that for Jack Baldwin, it’s daylight robbery by someone.  

Posted (edited)

Randall needs taken off corners, he just kicked the flagpole instead of the ball, trying to take a short corner to Brophy. Brophy was too busy laughing at Randall to fetch the miss-kicked ball 😆

Edit to say 3 nill up at HT. Brophy & a Samuel double.

Playing a 532

Edited by Sensible Soccer🏴

26 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Randall needs taken off corners, he just kicked the flagpole instead of the ball, trying to take a short corner to Brophy. Brophy was too busy laughing at Randall to fetch the miss-kicked ball 😆

That’s brilliant 😂

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Murray is away.  Someone has overpaid for him.  As is Sims

I dunno… County are spunking 3 year contracts around all over the shop. If we’ve offered a 3 year deal to Murray he’d be mad to not take it. Reckon there is some too-ing and fro-ing going on behind the scenes.

Not overly disappointed to see Baldwin leave (especially for a few) and it makes the signings made so far sensible as it was starting to look like we had a lot of defenders. Think Hale will need some time to get up to speed (a la Boyce) so will be interesting to see how the Murray situation ends up. Would be good to get it done either way as soon as possible

Posted (edited)

Couple general points from tonight’s game:

- Only a 45 minute cameo, but Akil Wright looks a good find. Quick, strong on the ball, good height.

- Brophy looks to have trimmed down and looks a lot fitter than he did at the end of the season.

- Several youngsters impressing; Smith and Macleod particularly stood out.

- New kit is even better in person. Absolute peach.

ETA: Also good to see Allardice get out for an hour. Praying he can stay fit this season.

Edited by Matty-RCFC