The General Ross County Chat Thread

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I don’t know. That team is bereft of any creativity whatsoever.  0-0 seems like a good bet.   Edit:  two keepers on the bench.  That squad is far from finished.

You'd like to think so. Hopeful of another 2 or 3 at least to come in.

Very early doors and today was almost like a pre-season friendly….

But

…County were pretty turgid. Midfield particularly needs a playmaker with some class and the whole team gave off vibes that suggest a long season ahead. Sigh.

8 hours ago, Staggie52 said:

Let’s face it, we’re the Championship squad looking to stay in the big league.

I got downvoted for saying this, but there were two keepers on the bench yesterday. There’s no 10, 11 or 14 in the squad.  I think there are probably an other two or three creative players still to come in.   Too early to judge.  

You can see Cowie’s thinking though, a solid 3, two bombing on wing backs, another solid 3 and two up top.  It’s the midfield three, still, that’s currently woefully short. 

58 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I got downvoted for saying this, but there were two keepers on the bench yesterday. There’s no 10, 11 or 14 in the squad.  I think there are probably an other two or three creative players still to come in.   Too early to judge.  

You can see Cowie’s thinking though, a solid 3, two bombing on wing backs, another solid 3 and two up top.  It’s the midfield three, still, that’s currently woefully short. 

If you look at that squad from yesterday, albeit no Hale, there is not a single player on that bench that could change a game…

9 hours ago, Staggie52 said:

I'm afraid but you are correct with this. County need 3/4 decent flair players with a positive attitude. My feeling we may get 1 player like this, maybe 2 at a push. Hope to be proved wrong.

Decent knowledgeable scouts working their arsed off!

11 hours ago, Staggie52 said:

We're certainly not the worst Premiership squad at this stage of the season, we've got the foundations of a good team. Getting a good preseason into many of these players could be huge for us. We'll be up against it at times, we always are but I'm excited to see how Cowie with Carl & Paul fair as the signs were promising in the couple of months we saw last season.

As usual in preseason, I'm full of optimism of what could be in the season ahead but as a County fan since our HL days, I'm fully aware that we have no god given right to be in the top division & only hard work & bravery will keep us here. 

I'd expect us to be battling it out with St Johnstone, Motherwell, Dundee & Dundee United. Aberdeen & Hibs are both in yet another transition period, they should improve but have proven themselves to disaster zones recently too. Killie & St Mirren did well last season & both seem to have kept & strengthened their squads but it's to be seen how they cope with European football (not jealous at all btw). It's also to be seen if they're able to put two successful seasons back to back.

Hearts, Rangers & Celtic will comfortably occupy the top three positions imo.

Edited by Sensible Soccer🏴

23 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

We're certainly not the worst Premiership squad at this stage of the season, we've got the foundations of a good team. Getting a good preseason into many of these players could be huge for us. We'll be up against it at times, we always are but I'm excited to see how Cowie with Carl & Paul fair as the signs were promising in the couple of months we saw last season.

As usual in preseason, I'm full of optimism of what could be in the season ahead but as a County fan since our HL days, I'm fully aware that we have no god given right to be in the top division & only hard work & bravery will keep us here. 

I'd expect us to be battling it out with St Johnstone, Motherwell, Dundee & Dundee United. Aberdeen & Hibs are both in yet another transition period, they should improve but have proven themselves to disaster zones recently too. Killie & St Mirren did well last season & both seem to have kept & strengthened their squads but it's to be seen how they cope with European football (not jealous at all btw). It's also to be seen if they're able to put two successful seasons back to back.

Hearts, Rangers & Celtic will comfortably occupy the top three positions imo.

You may be right, I didn’t refer to any other squads as to be honest I haven’t spent much time looking at them. My reasoning was quite simple, last year we had Murray and Dhanda, both went to Premiership sides. I can’t see anybody in this squad who would be targets for a Premiership side either because they haven’t demonstrated that they’re good enough, or because those that have (Brophy, Nightingale) they have poor injury histories.

That doesn’t say that some might come good and I hope that happens. We might bring in some who are Premiership level, and again fingers crossed. Neither does it say that we can’t survive. It’s just my assessment of the squad at this moment in time, and of course I could be entirely wrong, and I do hope I am.

Edited by Staggie52

3 hours ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

We're certainly not the worst Premiership squad at this stage of the season

Sorry but I totally disagree.

We finished 11th last season and looked pretty poor in doing so. We’ve since lost our two most influential attacking forces. On the face of it, our new signings look mediocre at best (Hale aside).

Every other team, bar St Johnstone, looks to have improved. We look to have gone backwards. I think we’re definitely favourites to finish 12th, although I hope I’m wrong.