The General Ross County Chat Thread

Hello people. I have recently been writing season previews for this coming campaign and today it is the turn of Ross County. Would love for people to have a wee read and give any feedback/criticisms if needed! In a ploy for you all to take it easy on me you need to know that my dad has a big soft spot for County having grown up in Dingwall and my granddad was actually a director at Ross County way, way back in the day.

Thanks in advance!

Link

Pleasantly surprised, that was pretty good and all fair comments. You've been paying attention on here ;)

Tell your grandad thanks for his efforts! (assuming his efforts were well-meant :P )

Hello people. I have recently been writing season previews for this coming campaign and today it is the turn of Ross County. Would love for people to have a wee read and give any feedback/criticisms if needed! In a ploy for you all to take it easy on me you need to know that my dad has a big soft spot for County having grown up in Dingwall and my granddad was actually a director at Ross County way, way back in the day.

Thanks in advance!

Link

Quite a positive piece, talking about pushing on to the top half, then: Prediction for this season - 11th. Doesn't quite fit the tone IMO.

On a more technical point, I think Ben Frempah would be classed as a defender rather than midfielder.

Pleasantly surprised, that was pretty good and all fair comments. You've been paying attention on here ;)

Tell your grandad thanks for his efforts! (assuming his efforts were well-meant :P )

Thanks for reading! I only recently found out about my granddad being a director along with him being part of the arctic convoys before that, he has led a pretty interesting life!

Quite a positive piece, talking about pushing on to the top half, then: Prediction for this season - 11th. Doesn't quite fit the tone IMO.

On a more technical point, I think Ben Frempah would be classed as a defender rather than midfielder.

I wasn't predicting County would finish in the top half, more that the fans at some point will be wanting the side to push higher up the league. From what I read I thought Frempah could play either position? Will change that. Thanks for giving it a read!

Thanks for reading! I only recently found out about my granddad being a director along with him being part of the arctic convoys before that, he has led a pretty interesting life!

Aye, similar it's only recently I found out about half the shit my grand-dads got up to in their youth, makes for much better stories than my tales of clubbing and weekends! Well, they're more suitable to tell to grandchildren anyway.

Hadnt noticed, but Forfinn is right about Frempah, he is much more of a defender than midfielder. All of Frempah, Dreesen and Balk have been reported as defenders that can play in midfield, but Balk looks most likely to fulfil a midfield role going by friendlies so far, and Frempah most comfortable at centre-back (I'm quite excited by him, he looks pretty Olympian like, would not want to come up against him in a game!).

Edited by dingdong1929

I'd have Ross County finishing 11th as well, but if their forward line clicks it could be enough. I'm expecting a third of the season to be gone before the manager remembers that de Leeuw off Arquin is the best forward combo he's had since the lower leagues.

I'd have Ross County finishing 11th as well, but if their forward line clicks it could be enough. I'm expecting a third of the season to be gone before the manager remembers that de Leeuw off Arquin is the best forward combo he's had since the lower leagues.

I don't think we'll be great, but expect that at least one of Kilmarnock, St Mirren, Partick or Dundee will have a 'mare and do worse than us. With Hamilton finishing 12th. We also have the added backup of being able to strengthen in January if necessary (which I'd clearly rather avoid because it'll mean the first half of the season will have been mince).

I really hope this Boycey character is as good as advertised. I can see him scoring barrow loads. Or I can see him being released in three months. A front three of him, De Leeuw and Arquin would be lovely if we can get a dominant midfield. I'm expecting our next two signings to be a left back and a central midfielder.

I think County still have a good back bone, regardless of the signings which all seem to have an element of the unknown about them (Reguero and arguably Cardle aside).

County will be fine IMO.

I think County still have a good back bone, regardless of the signings which all seem to have an element of the unknown about them (Reguero and arguably Cardle aside).

County will be fine IMO.

Not sure we still have a good backbone from last season. Only 4 of the starting 11 are still here.

We need a midfield pronto

Boyce looking trim. His goal was a soft header, dropped in by the goalkeeper. The own goal was a brilliant sliced clearance from what looked like the edge of the box, up in the air then down in off he post. Maatsen and Cardle both had nice finishes for their goals.

I really like the look of Balk. Not entirely convinced by the left-back trialist, he had a poor first half.

Thanks in advance!

Link

Good read!

Far from convincing but I won't overreact since its only pre-season.

FBs still a big concern.

We need to sign a couple of midfielders before we are ready, if we are going to start with that I am concerned.

What the hell has happened to the Clach DJ?

Edited by StuartTaylor

A very comfortable win for county tonight a bit too easy for them to show their worth. Darren Maatsen played very well in my opinion, classy goal, great feet, too pacey for the clach back 4 and a few good crosses. I thought he was good last pre season as well and I hope he'll get more playing time this season. However, Kev Luckassen looked a baller last pre season and he was rank rotten.

100k rank rotten I may add.

But true he was rotten at times as much as I wanted him to do well. Bit like klok and maatsen.

Good to see boyce on the score sheet even if it was a soft goal. Being in the right place at the right time is an important attribute. Let's hope it's a trend.

You can only tell so much from pre-season but the left-back boy didn't have the best first half, caught in possession a few times and out of position too. Does like a big solid challenge though. To a degree, the two clach keepers were largely at fault in all four goals but I guess that's just the level we were up against.

Was relatively impressed with Boyce for all the time he got. He's a fair size too, so should cause a lot of problems. I was less than convinced by Jervis though. Maatsen started off high tempo but not really making much of it, then started to get space and had a good game. A few nice dreamy balls and cross-field passes to think about, including Arquin playing one diagonally right over the top of the defence for Maatsen, and Balk playing a dreamy precise one out to Cardle at one point.

All in all, it was ok but as I said, there's only so much you can tell from pre-season.

A question I found myself asking last night, just where is Graham Carey? He's obviously away, but where? He hasn't popped up at anyone else as far as I'm aware. Twitter and google both have nothing to suggest where he is either.

Killie fans claimed he was training with them a fortnight ago.

EDIT: If County had him signed up, I'd be fairly happy with the squad but for capturing a left-back. A midfield triangle of Balk, Brittain and Carey would be not bad and would have a bit of everything. Shame it's not going to happen.

Edited by bunglebonce